Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34596 - 03/19/02 07:58 AM What have they cost you so far?  
Diana Offline
Diana  Offline

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was just trying to figure out what the total cost of purchasing and caring for a 'too has cost you all.

What did the 'too cost?

How much was the cage, did you then have to upgrade?

What stupid things did you buy to only regret later? (ie) toys, gimmiks...etc

How much do the toys cost on a monthly basis?

How many times must you replace perches and other essential things that your 'too needs to be happy?

How many times have you had to replace esstential household items that belong to you, that make/made you happy? How much did it cost?

What other ridiculous things have they eaten that you never imagined they would? How much did it cost?

HOw much money in cleaners, and vacuum bags do they cost? How often do you have to vacuum a day to keep the place clean and tidy?

How many potentially good dates have they maged to savotage.

How much do pellets and healthy fresh foods cost a month?

Do you give suppliments. How much do they cost?

Have they ever cost you a relationship?

Have they ever been the reason behind an eviction?

Have they ever caused noise complaints? If yes, where di you live?

These are just a few things I can think of. How much have these cockatoos REALLY cost you, both personally and financially? I do want to know for my benefit, but I just want anyone whom read this post to see how much people really have to sacrifice. The money part of it is important, but most people with common sense have a pretty good idea. I want to know about the costs that NOBODY has ever even considered before.

I think it will be fun, plus give a laugh or two (in terror), for experienced 'too owners. All I can give is my damage estimates from my soul mate dog (passed away), and these are BRUTAL. Each and everyone of them was essentially MY fault. I do look back and laugh now, never thought back then I would. These have nothing to do with 'toos, so I won't bore you with it all.

Thanks in advance everyone. Excuse the typos, but I am ready for bed.

#34597 - 03/19/02 12:28 PM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Wow... this is a big order! OK lets see:

I got both my birds for $2200.00 (Cheap!)
My two cages cost $1600.00
Toys to set them up $160
Aviary $900

Let me back up and say that my FIRST cage cost
me $350 and was ROUND! (These should be outlawed)
The stupid pet store knew what I was going to use it for and STILL sold it to me. (money,money) mad

Toys and food on a monthly basis about $100

For years I used 2x2 pine for perches (that I rounded off a little) and the birds went right through them in 4 weeks or less. I wanted them to chew all they wanted, but this was a lot of work so I now use Manzanita perches and give them plenty of other wood to chew.

Damage to the house and products within about $300 (so far) Hey! Thats cheap! smile

Extra vacuums and bags..about $75 a year. I have
a whole house electronic air filter that under normal conditions would be cleaned every 3 months.
I must clean mine every 3 weeks. This unit cost me
$600.

Suppliments and avian checks about $200 a year.

One of my neighbors complained about the noise on Sunday mornings while they were outside. ( Geez, it was 10 am! Time to get up!) :p

I dont date. I dont have time! I am forever a slave placed on earth to serve my Masters wink

I'm not worthy!! :rolleyes:

#34598 - 03/19/02 01:22 PM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
Kathy Offline
Kathy  Offline

Southwestern Pennsylvania
This is a long one. I answered as best as I could.

What did the 'too cost?

$400 Previous owners told me she was a little plucked. LOL Oven ready was more like it. I call this ransom. They gave me the bird but sold me the cage and they both had to go together.

She came with a really old rusty cage. Cage $800. Night cage another $300.

Nothing with Sophia the U2. Lots with my little guys.

I make most of my own. So about $20 in aupplies a month.

How many times must you replace perches and other essential things that your 'too needs to be happy?

Toys need fixed or replaced weekly. perches are manzenita.

How many times have you had to replace esstential household items that belong to you, that make/made you happy? How much did it cost?

Way TOO many LOL. Metal mini blinds, window frames, computer mice and keyboards, computer table. Not sure how much it cost just reminded myself it was my fault.

HOw much money in cleaners, and vacuum bags do they cost? How often do you have to vacuum a day to keep the place clean and tidy?

Don't use regular cleaners. Costs is minimal since I use steamers. Steamers $400.
Vacuum two maybe three times in the greatroom. every other day else where.

How many potentially good dates have they managed to sabotage.

As I am married I will just say that plans do get changed if the birds are in a snit. Mostly day time things.

Around $100

Do you give suppliments? NO

Potential new friends maybe.

Have they ever caused noise complaints?

Not from any stranger. Just my grown KIDs. We own and live in our own home in the country.

#34599 - 03/19/02 03:30 PM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
u24me Offline
u24me  Offline

olalla Wa
I'm not sure I want to know this myself!Day one:1 free U2 with cage tree stand and toys(what a deal!)1 trip to pet store to buy all the wrong food ,books,toys and get all the wrong advice 175.00.Day 2:1 trip to the vet to see if free U2 is healthy 200.00 A Trip to good Vet recommended pet store to get good food & good books for free U2 150.00 Day 3 get new cage 750.00 .Day 6 Call from vet,free U2 not well get meds 30.00. Day 15 re-check for free U2(all better!) 200.00. Day 16 try to repair damage to my relationship with new free U2 after medicating him .Free U2 probably wasted 200.00 worth of organic pellets in the year it took him to convert from his all seed diet,now its around 85.00-95.00 a month for pellets and veggies. 80.00-100 a Month for toys shreders & birdie bagels.He get lots of free fresh branches (Thanks to country life)one new vacume 600.00(thanks to sucking up chunks of wood.)( OOPS ) Yearly vet trips 200.00. 25.00-30.00 a month on the latest bird mags.Free U2 ate the molding,the corner of the wall,a pitcture frame I didn't think he could reach and he started on the oak 4 poster bed !Yikes!We've only had free U2 for 2 years I know he'll find a way to spend some more!!(you know how kids are!)But A afternoon cuddling with coconut (free U2 )is PRICELESS!!!U24ME laugh

#34600 - 03/19/02 08:45 PM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
Peter Offline
Peter  Offline

Victoria, BC, Canada
What have our cockatoos cost...

Sophie was 800.00 and her cage was 400.00
Jazz was 500.00 (because she had picked all of her feathers) and her nice big new cage was 400.00 (a steal of a deal). Sophie occasionally costs me my sanity when she has a shreeky day, but that comes with having her and Jazz is good at costing me my hearing when she does her morning wake up call at 8 am. We swear that Jazz can sterilize frogs at 100 paces! laugh

Their toys cost me anywhere from 20-100 dollars a month depending on how much they shred them.

Their perches are free because we go out into the forest and cut them ourselves.

The only thing I regret buying for Sophie was a toy that you fill with almonds that you couldn't refill later. They didn't have a way to refill the toy.

I find it difficult to find almonds in the shell in the summertime and that is their favourite treat.

The first sacrifice in our new house was a door moulding. Turned my back for a minute and there was Jazz with a piece of moulding in her mouth smiling away laugh

I am glad that I bought a decent vacuum before we got "the girls". it has a hepa filter on the front, and the vacuum bags are also filters. The question is, how many brooms do you go through in a year...I am constantly sweeping up after the girls. I think this year for halloween I will be a witch ( I already use a broom about 4 to 5 times a day) smile

Their seed costs me about 25 dollars a month between the two of them, but I feed them a 7 layer cockatoo salad as their main source of food. I spend an average 15 dollars a week on the fresh fruits, vegetables, and beans for them.

Our girls are noisy, that is why we are renting a house instead of an apartment. They are the celebreties of the neighbourhood here, so it is not much of a problem.

Hope this answers some of your questions !
smile Miriam

#34601 - 03/21/02 12:15 AM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
cockatoostreet.com Offline
cockatoostreet.com  Offline

Utah
1 plucked female umbrella 'too - $ FREE
the cardboard box she was discarded in - $ FREE
New cage $550
Vet Bill $295
Fresh fruit & veggies - $10/month
Pellets - $5/month
Jewelry repairs $300
Damaged door moulding and baseboard $100
TV Remote $60
Cable Remote $80
Tivo Remote $100
Phone $40
Phone $40
Phone $40
Phone $40
Phone $40
Hole in leather handbag. $65
Hole in sofa $50
Hole in sweatshirt $45
Phone $40
Damaged wood barstool $40
Carpet steamer to clean green stains out of pink carpet - $179
Air cleaner $145
Humidifier $45
Ear Plugs $5

All of the love and cuddles I'll ever need for the rest of my life - FREE!

#34602 - 03/21/02 06:55 AM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
Miriam Offline
Miriam  Offline

Victoria, BC, Canada
Yet more costs involved.

Time for an update, eek

Trip to vet this afternoon for a check up, DNA test, beak trim, nail trim and peace of mind $200.00

Knowing that she is healthy AND happy... priceless. laugh

PS: Seeing the excitement in our Avian Vets face as she sees our rescued M2.....priceless laugh laugh

What the heck, it is only money. And we are talking about our special babies here. :p

Peter, (using Miriams login name)
Victoria.

#34603 - 03/21/02 10:50 AM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
NIGHT_DRAGON Offline
NIGHT_DRAGON  Offline

Indiana
More then likely by answering this topic I will go into a depression after totalling everything up laugh

OOOk here we go:
2 male umbrella's = $1800
2 cages = $750
2 new cages comming next month = $1400
Useless toys = $0
Toys monthly = $100 +/-
Manzenita perches = Priceless laugh
Items replaced around the house:
Tv remote = $20
Tv remote =$20
Tv remote = $20
Tv remote = $20
Vcr remote = $ 40 (arent kids wonderful wink )
Repair to wifes $5000 wedding ring = $350
Computer keyboard = $50
2 phones = $150
Son's girlfriends gold neckless = $25 for repairs
Carpet cleaner = $300
Air cleaner = $free (thanks grandma smile )
No dates lost, I'm married so not allowed to date lol
Have never cost me a relationship just my sanity.
Never had a noise complaint (crossing fingers) I have really understanding neighbors.

#34604 - 03/21/02 11:41 AM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
Diana Offline
Diana  Offline

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ROTFLAMO!!!1 I am sorry to laugh, but this is like a day in the life of a Rottweiler puppy. Your damages are extensive but Sheena still has the cockatoos beat. It is very close. Actually I am going to go and check. I still have it written down some where.

You are all a great bunch of people. It is funny how we can take damages in stride, while non animal people cringe and cower at the thought of these "mishaps".

We have all learned that material things can be replaced, but no life can be bought or replaced when it is gone. As for our sanity... well... I am working on a comment for that. I think we were all crazy to begin with.

#34605 - 03/23/02 03:25 AM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
Don_Bella Offline
Don_Bella  Offline

South Carolina
I was sitting here thinking about monthly cost, the seed, the veggies, peanuts, grapes, banannas. Lafferty's, a new toy about every 2 months. Groceries alone and toys run me about 125-150 every two months. Cages. Just purchased my third one for her, $250, $350, and $399.00 respectivley.
I purchased the last one on line from this vendor, Critters Treasures btw...good prices!

Anyway, I starter reading the post above with the TV remote control, computer keyboard and such and started realizing additional cost. Carpet Steamer $300.00, Wall Mirrow (Wood Frame) 100.00, I too lost a remote and computer keyboard, another $75.00. Boarding when I have to leave, about $50.00 a year. Even the heating bills during the winter months. I would prefer it colder and throw on an extra blanket but I can't live like that with my Too' - we play make believe Florida in the winter months for her, not me.

Don't think in terms of dollars though. If you love your pet, dollars don't even figure into it. The responsibility out weighs it all!

Cheers

#34606 - 03/27/02 12:48 AM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
Donna Offline
Donna  Offline

Thankful that I have a SMALL too, he's done nearly as much $$ damage as your big too's smile

He's been here since the beginning of January, he's a bubbly little goffin too.

What did the 'too cost?
$45 (yes, you read that right)

$350

$25.00 on heavy duty crocks and rings that he can pick up and dump out.

$100 in January and $50 in Feb. and March, bargain hunting for April! hahaha

Replaced two wood perches, a sisal rope perch and 6 wood toys. (yes I have discovered manzanita.)

What other ridiculous things have they eaten that you never imagined they would? How much did it cost?

Two leashes from bird harnesses that cost $23.50 each Two dog leashes at $7 each

I doubt that Hoppy has added much to the mess I already had but I go through two vacuum bags a week, I run the vacuum twice a day, if not I have bird food and wood chips scattered through the house. Hoppy has however contributed to vacuum clogs smile I spend about 30 min a week unclogging the vacuum hose. It's usually wood slivers that get lodged in there. smile

Unable to determine, Hoppy is one of 43 birds that dine here. smile

Do you give suppliments. How much do they cost?

Same as above

Not YET

Have they ever been the reason behind an eviction?

No

Have they ever caused noise complaints? If yes, where do you live?

No

#34607 - 04/04/02 08:42 AM Re: What have they cost you so far?  
DebiR Offline
DebiR  Offline

Panama City, FL (area)
Oooh love this thread LOL.

M2 - $1,500
Cages (4) $1,200 (thank goodness have local dealer)
Toys - at least $500 so far
Home made toy supplies - $300
Play gym - $150 (pvc we made)
Sky fort - $100 (we made)
Climbing tree - $130
Having FL converted - so he is never caged except to sleep - $10,000 (windows, walls, screening, roof) complete conversion.
Heating/AC unit for just that room - $2,400
Meals - $40 a week
Snacks - fruits, nuts whatever - $20
Remote controls - $150 probably so far

Worth it - priceless
Total love, unlimited cuddling, lots of kisses and great display shows.

No trouble with screaming (so far) - hours of enjoyment and laughter.

Lost relationships - none - married 24 years and he's a daddy's boy. Son leaves room during displaying session but "Oh well" wanted to leave the room when he was a baby and had colic too. LOL

Complaints from neighbors - none so far. He's not noisey and neighbors aren't home during the day - M2 and I are - so works out good.

Favorite thing to see him running around the room, climbing, swinging having a great time with this glee in his eyes that you know means he's HAPPY and loving life.

Has been with us a year - first and only companion for him. Was an impluse buy at a pet store.

Regrets - NOT A ONE - would do it all over again - just thrilled he found his way into our lives instead of the wrong family. Just seems to be a lucky bird - wish they all were.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny