Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34501 - 03/12/02 04:22 PM Vacation?  
Arline Offline
Arline  Offline

S.E. Washington
We have a 12-14 y.o. U2 girlbird and we're very new at all this. She came to live with us the first week of Jan. So far, so good! She's been nicknamed "Madame Destructo" and we've learned a lot! laugh She is VERY quiet, only screams a couple times a week, and then only once or twice.

My question at this moment is what do we do with Gyspy when we go out of town? Our other bird (a 'tiel)stays home in his cage and a neighbor makes sure he gets fed and watered and checked on each day, same as our other furry, four-legged critters. But Gyps is different! DUH! What do YOU do with YOUR 'too when you go out of town?

confused
A

#34502 - 03/12/02 04:51 PM Re: Vacation?  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Vacation?? Whats that?? LOL..my first question would be how long to you intend to be out of town? Overnight? That might not be a problem, if the bird is used to being alone for part of a day..ie..when you are at work, etc.
I would recommend leaving the bird in his/her cage and home, and have someone come in to see to his/her needs that the bird knows and is not afraid of. I am very lucky that I have teenage children to look after my 8 parrots on the rare occassion that I have to be away for a day or so, and the birds are comfortable with the kids being there to take care of them. I would make sure the caregiver is familiar with the birds needs and able to give him some time out etc..and try to stick to the normal routine he is used to, most birds hate change. Good luck :rolleyes:

#34503 - 03/12/02 05:15 PM Re: Vacation?  
Arline Offline
Arline  Offline

S.E. Washington
We'll be traveling (by car - and yes, I guess we could take her????) about 10-12 hours each way and we'll be gone about 10 days. We'll be staying in a motel and at my parent's place.

If we can figure out the logistics of traveling with this silly beaker would it be better to take her then leaving her here?

We DO have responsible and faithful pet caretakers for the rest of the animals and I'm sure they could handle her. Another possiblity would be to have the previous owner come by daily to visit with her. Dunno. But I only have til Fri. to figure it out. smile

#34504 - 03/12/02 06:14 PM Re: Vacation?  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I'm afraid I can't be much help here. I would never consider leaving my birds for 10 days. Birds are not like dogs and cats, their needs are so much different, I cannot even begin to compare them. Leaving a bird you have only had a couple of months for 10 days is going to be VERY confusing to this creature of habit. Taking her with you is another issue completely. Does she travel well? Has she been for a car ride to see how she does? All these things need to be considered long before you even think about a 10 day trip away from home, and you say you are leaving on Friday? I hope someone else can offer you better advice than I can, I would not leave for 10 days on a trip leaving a bird I have only had a short while behind, like I said, they are NOTHING like cats and dogs and this needs to be WELL thought out in advance, ie, getting the bird used to the caretaker that will be providing for it, familiarizing the caretaker with all the birds needs and how to prepare his/her food, etc. Im sorry to be so negative, I don't mean to be, I just dont see how you can expect to walk out and not have foreseen these problems before now and dealt with the possiblity of what a "vacation" will mean to this creature that is probably still learning to know YOU, much less what it will think when you disappear.. frown

#34505 - 03/12/02 06:37 PM Re: Vacation?  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
I suggest you get a large travel cage and take her with you. You should start by taking her for short rides right now. We take our birds with us when we go on vacation. However it is typically only a three-hour drive. A 10-12 hour drive is a different story. If you take frequent breaks and interact with her as much as possible you might do ok. Are her wings clipped? If not take extra care in transporting her and be especially careful at the places you're going to stay.

If possible I suggest postponing the trip for awhile until you're sure she will travel well with you.

#34506 - 03/12/02 06:50 PM Re: Vacation?  
cockatoostreet.com Offline
cockatoostreet.com  Offline

Utah
Although I have never been gone longer than 5 days, I do one of two things:

There is an excellent pet sitting service that I pay to come 2x per day. But I wouldn't do that for more than 2 days since they only get the birds out for 1/2 hour.

We have a trusted bird-loving friend who we pay to stay at our house. It can be expensive, but the peace of mind is worth it.

I wouldn't consider taking them in the car if the trip was longer than 4 hours. Some of our toos do not enjoy car rides at all. And you have to worry about temperature control if you stop to eat; and then you have to figure out how to smuggle their carrier into the motel. Not easy.

#34507 - 03/12/02 07:56 PM Re: Vacation?  
Kathy Offline
Kathy  Offline

Southwestern Pennsylvania
Another thing you might consider is driving at night. If she is covered and it is dark this might work.
But I am not sure if you have not had her in a travel cage she is use to. Could you put the trip off till she gets to like her travel cage?
We have a weekend place and travel at night. But again it is only 90 min away.

#34508 - 03/12/02 09:09 PM Re: Vacation?  
Arline Offline
Arline  Offline

S.E. Washington
Gyps' regular cage will fit in our van. We can take out one of the middle captain seats and it'll fit in there. She'd be, as now, in the center of everything.

We WILL be stopping often (every couple hours) to stretch and for potty breaks. (when traveling with kids, do you have a choice? Not!)The longest leg of the trip will be 6 hrs. at a whack.

This afternoon we'll take her out for a ride and see how it goes.

Gotta check with the motel re: pet policys. . . YES!!! They allow small pets. smile Does a BIG bird count as a small pet? wink

I really hate the thought of leaving Gypsy behind.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny