Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 92 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34455 - 03/03/02 09:12 PM worried  
dachsie Offline
dachsie  Offline

united Kingdom
Hi to everyone, I have only just found this site and reading it I agree with everything said. I have a umbrella cockatoo, Charlie, he is eight years old. He is very healthy, no behaviour problems. Apart from a strong dislike of men, but he will tolerate my husband. The thing is after having read all that is said about too's, I have to say that it has scared me slightly. I am now wondering if Charlie will turn aggressive to me and may be start to attack me. He is a very loving bird and loves to cuddle and have lots of fuss. Is it certain, that when he reaches sexual maturity he will turn into a monster!! Any advice would be very greatfully received, cheers Dawn confused

#34456 - 03/03/02 10:35 PM Re: worried  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Welcome Dawn smile

The idea is not to worry you so much as to let you know what MIGHT happen. The track record during hormonal changes is pretty clear, but there are always exceptions, and yours may be one of them! My advice is to just be prepared in case, and if your 'Too starts acting more aggressive than normal, please contact us and we'll try to help you through it OK? In the meantime, just keep doing what you're doing. laugh

(Any and all other opinions welcome!)

#34457 - 03/03/02 10:53 PM Re: worried  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
You should also think of it as a change in life. Or a stage of life. I beleive that as long as you don't give up on him you will get through it. There are many resources ready, able and willing to help you through it if it does come.

#34458 - 03/05/02 01:32 AM Re: worried  
Anna Offline
Anna  Offline

Ohio
I don't know why no one has mentioned the obvious, but:
Your cockatoo, at 8 years old is ALREADY sexually mature, and has been so for about 3 years!! If you have not experienced difficulty by now, you probably won't. Now mine is only 4 years old, and I need to worry! But YOU don't. You made it!
Congratulations!!!

#34459 - 03/06/02 12:17 PM Re: worried  
dachsie Offline
dachsie  Offline

united Kingdom
Oh thank god for that. You have made my day. I was really worried that he would suddenly turn into a monster bird. He does sometimes have a tantrum and makes out to be oh so tough. But it never goes any further than a little foot stamping and sceam. Bless you for cheering me up
Dawn and Charlie. laugh

#34460 - 03/17/02 10:46 PM Re: worried  
OLYM Offline
OLYM  Offline

vabeach
I just read mostly everthing on this site today. I am extremly worried now. He's (umbrella) 4 years and 5 months old. I was told during this change ( 3 months????) I was supposed to kinda leave him alone most of the time and give him space. Is this true????????? Does this happen around the 5 year birthday or give and take a couple of months??? Any info on vitamins would be helpful, his main food is PRETTY BIRD and I'm sure it has vitamins. Thanks

#34461 - 03/18/02 12:35 AM Re: worried  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
I don't think you should leave him alone. He still needs interaction with you. However you need to be conscious that he might try and bit you. Don't let him get to close to your face.

As for food you should be giving lots of fresh vegetables as well as seed and pellet mixtures (low on the seeds). Have a look at the following web page for information on food

http://www.mytoos.com/food/food.htm

#34462 - 03/18/02 01:26 AM Re: worried  
OLYM Offline
OLYM  Offline

vabeach
Thanks for the info. How long will it last? I was told giving him food and water for the day was enough interaction when he is going thru the change.
I've had him since he was 8 weeks old and honestly as only bit me 5 times and my wife 3 times, and that was in his first 5 months with me, and has neaver bit the dog. Even when he went thru his terrible 2's he took chuncks out of the furniture for no reason but, not any of us. If too's don't have terrible 2's he had something going on.

I have a hard time believing that he will turn and just bite me. I'm kinda his boss but, it goes the dog, me and then my wife and it doesn't seem that he fits in except the end. Am I missing something?

I have not looked at the website yet, I'm going to after this. Is fish and shrimp alright for too's??

Thanks for all the help.
chad w.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny