Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 93 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34448 - 03/02/02 05:37 AM Should We Get Another Too  
DebiR Offline
DebiR  Offline

Panama City, FL (area)
We are the parents of Rico a DNA sexed male Moluccan. He is a joy and a pleasure and we have gone to great efforts to provide the best environment for him. He has a 15 X 20 room (previous FL room) that was converted for him, has lots of plants, trees, toys and things to play with climb on and swing from and hang from. He never has to be in a cage, except to sleep.

Just a few weeks ago we bird-sat a U2 for 3 weeks while the parents went to the Bahamas. Rico and this little U2 (her name was Za) hit it off right away. They were a JOY to watch running around, playing, preening, swinging and just being birds. We worried a great deal that he would be sad when Za left, but he never skipped a beat and adjusted just fine.

Don't get me wrong. Rico is a happy M2, but we are wondering (especially husband) if we should provide a home to another Too as well. Rico and Za seem to enjoy each other company so very much and the fact like "Hey, that bird is sort of like me".

What do think? We do have a lot to offer another Too and we do have the room. I have thought about taking in a rescue, but we don't have one in our area. I know that if we got a rescue that it would probably think it had died and gone to heaven (compared to where it came from). But my concern would be - I would not want the rescue to teach my Rico how to scream or pluck. And the other concern is that I do NOT want to add to the Too population - so really would not want to get a female (since I know I have a male). Can two males live together in peace and harmony?

Jerry (and others) what do think?

#34449 - 03/02/02 11:36 AM Re: Should We Get Another Too  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Not all the birds at a rescue are plucked. In fact some that arrived plucked stop and regrow their feathers.

#34450 - 03/02/02 03:15 PM Re: Should We Get Another Too  
DebiR Offline
DebiR  Offline

Panama City, FL (area)
Michael, I agree with you completely. It was just one of my concerns. I would love a plucked bird as much as the one I have now. Just have concerns of it teaching the other. But the main problem is that we don't have a bird rescue in our area that I am aware of and I don't know how to go about finding rescues out of state that do adoptions. Do you know?

#34451 - 03/02/02 06:49 PM Re: Should We Get Another Too  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
You might be able to rescue a bird on your own and not get one from a rescue. Spread the word and keep your ears open and the opportunity will surely arise. I know the rescue here in Massachusetts (Foster Parrots) is getting a lot of male Umbrella Cockatoos this time of year.

However they are usually brought to the rescue because of problems with their guardians. As such they may not be the ideal companions. On the other hand the birds might be suffering from "Stupid Parent Disorder"

#34452 - 03/02/02 09:23 PM Re: Should We Get Another Too  
Beeky Offline
Beeky  Offline

Boise, Idaho
I am not sure about two males, but we have two females (umbrella and moluccan), they tolerate each other but are not exactly the greatest of friends. It's always going to depend on the birds involved - just as you can make two people like each other, you can't make a couple of Toos like each other, either. Our six year-old moluccan was adopted from a breeding situation in which she had never produced. She was quite raggedy from the over-preening of the Too she was paired with, but her feathers have since grown in and she has shown no signs of plucking behaviour. They (U2 and M2) didn't like each other much at all at first, but have grown used to each other to the point where they can get along, however they are still not exactly in love with each other. smile

#34453 - 03/04/02 02:50 AM Re: Should We Get Another Too  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
A-Men to that M2 Mom. You just never know whats going to happen till it happens. My male to this day is very jealous of my female and doesnt have a lot to do with her. I cant show her a lot of affection in front of him, so I sneak her out of site. haha ( Isnt this the damndest situation?)

I've had easier times with people problems than these two sometimes smile

But seriously, if you DO decide to try a friend, make SURE the new bird is absolutly healty, and completly supervised for the first week or so.

#34454 - 03/05/02 09:53 PM Re: Should We Get Another Too  
cockatoostreet.com Offline
cockatoostreet.com  Offline

Utah
We currently have 6 permanent toos and 4 foster toos. Some get along great, some tolerate each other, and one little runt goffins tries to boss everybody else around.

Since toos are flock birds I think they enjoy the company of others that are similar to them. However, they are as individual as people so you cannot force them to be friends if they don't like each other. I do know that 90% of the time, it just takes a little while for the toos to get to know each other before they all play together.

Occasionally you will run into an exception like our Goffins, but since your M2 already showed you that he can get along with a new bird friend, there is a good chance he will be friendly.

If you have the time for 2 toos, I would definitely look into taking in a homeless one.

Cari

P.S. I have had experience with a store-bought handfed baby too as well as an older 2nd-hand bird, and I can tell you that I would never buy a baby again. The nice thing about older birds is they have established their adult personality, so you can see what they are really like. Baby birds are all cute and cuddly, but don't have a real distinct personality yet. I have never regretted any of the 2nd hand birds we have taken in and love them all like children.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny