Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34427 - 02/26/02 10:20 PM Training  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a very new bird owner and have to admit don't know a lot about what's right and wrong in training a bird. I purchased my goffin cockatoo named Joey only 3 days ago. He is 8 yrs old. The person who owned him previously has owned him since he was a baby but had to sell Joey due to illness.

I've researched a lot on the internet about cockatoos and good behaviour vs. bad etc. etc. Joey is so far pretty friendly but I wonder if any of you could give me some tips on keeping control of Joey, not letting him be in control of me and what is positive punishment that I can give so that Joey and I can be happy for ever and ever??

Some examples since I got Joey:

1. When he gets out on my hand, he immediately climbs up my arm to get to my shoulder. I know this is a control thing on his part and want to stop him from doing it. It's been suggested to me to put my hand in front of him and say NO. Is this the best thing?

2. The other thing is Joey is very good about not screaming much but because I live in a condo, I really have to make sure that I do not encourage loud noises. So far Joey has complied pretty good by me saying NO. He's heard that word a fair bit in the last 3 days.

Any info you could give to an amateur cockatoo trainee would be helpful.

#34428 - 02/28/02 01:32 PM Re: Training  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Quote:
Any info you could give to an amateur cockatoo trainee would be helpful.
I agree with M2 Mom... another easy thing to do is simply hold your hand up higher than your shoulder. Most birds want to perch at the highest point. While he may take every opportunity
to get on your shoulder when you're not looking, he will after a while learn. My 'Toos only want on my shoulder when scared. They feel protected there. But when that happens, I simply remove them from whatevers scaring them. They know that they arent allowed there. As far as the noise, Goffins can make their presents known pretty well!
Sometimes (like all birds) they vocalize simply from joy. And this isnt to be discourged. Most people learn when a bird is "screaming" vs "vocalizing" and I hope you do too smile

#34429 - 03/01/02 11:29 AM Re: Training  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Laurie,

When Mickey (U2) is on my hand, I hold his toes, firmly, but gently, with my thumb. I think I have seen this referred to as the "Egyptian grip". Climbing up the arm is no longer an issue.

I also recommend the Birdclick email list. The training methods they teach can help SO much!

Good luck to you!
Tina

#34430 - 03/02/02 05:05 AM Re: Training  
DebiR Offline
DebiR  Offline

Panama City, FL (area)
Laurie, reading your post, I'm sad to hear that your Too had to leave his home after 8 years due to his companions illness. It sounds as though you have the best intentions for him. I'm just wonder/concerned about where you live (condo). Your Too will need to vocalize (mine does a couple times a day). I truly enjoy his displaying session, and they are LOUD. It normally goes on for just a few minutes (5 -10). But a bird that becomes bored, does not get enough exercise or attention or cannot vocalize may become unhappy and become a "Screamer". Many of Too's have move on to other places because their noise level could not be tolerated by owners or neighbors.

Is there a way to speak with your condo neighbors and explain that your Too may do this a couple times a day for a few minutes - that way you won't have to keep telling him "no".

#34431 - 03/18/02 09:26 AM Re: Training  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, So glad to see you are getting some good advice here! Wonderful.

Like some others, I took up clicker training for my U2 and my caique, and the training really shows you how to handle various situations because it teaches how you can reward the behaviors you want and remove the rewards from the behaviors you don't want.

As was said, your cockatoo will need to scream and flap every day. That's for the health of the bird. But you won't need to worry about attention screaming problems if you learn how to refrain from rewarding those behaviors.

You can read more about this at http://www.geocities.com/birdtrain
And you can join the list from there, too. There are about 600 members right now, though, so you might want to choose the digest format or choose "nomail" and read from the web site (they're at Yahoogroups).
smile
More great info on operant conditioning is at:
http://www.karenpryor.com/home/
and
http://www.behavior.org/animals/

And as an aside, HI TINA!! Nice to see you helping people out over here, as usual!! laugh

All the best to you all,
Rene' smile

#34432 - 03/18/02 11:25 PM Re: Training  
Peter Offline
Peter  Offline

Victoria, BC, Canada
Some Good advice here from this posting thread. And we have to agree, take your cockatoo to visit the neighbors, and then they will understand and be much more tolerant.

We did that, we lived in an apartment with our lesser sulphur crested and a rescued Moluccan. No one ever complained, they wanted to come and visit her!

Try it, what have you got to lose?

Peter
Victoria BC

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny