Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32025 - 01/25/06 03:55 PM "seed" mix  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
We came home from our food co-op meeting the other night with several months' supply of organically grown whole grains, and the birds loved it: whole oats, cracked wheat, brown basmati and wild rice, and some OG coarsely-ground corn. They don't care if it's cooked or raw, they chow right down! And the funny thing is, now that raw, whole grains are available, they are both suddenly hungry for raw greens, which hasn't been happening. Suppose they were just waiting for us to figure out that if God meant for grain to be mushy, it would grow that way? laugh
We received a mail-ordered bag of Zupreem pellets about the same time, so they're set up for a while. The company that shipped the pellets for some reason put a bunch of brown packing paper in the box (were they worried about the pellets getting broken, maybe? :rolleyes: ) and so the cage "carpeting" is even there! laugh

Jody
#32026 - 01/25/06 05:11 PM Re: "seed" mix  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

Jodymurch,

The organic grain mix sounds great! How would I go about getting some? It would be great to buy all that stuff in one bag instead of buying it all seperately. That gets expensive and could go bad before I ever get to it.

#32027 - 01/25/06 08:41 PM Re: "seed" mix  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
We get grains from a food buying co-op, but they may be available in bulk from organic food stores. (Don't even try at those outfits that sell the big "supplement" packages and call themselves "health-food" outlets. :rolleyes: ) some supermarkets carry bulk grains, or packaged whole grains. Our co-op will order 50 pounds, or 25, if enough of us want the stuff, which we usually do. I cook our meals with whole grains, and I keep the big bags in the freezer; the birds get some whenever I get into the kitchen to cook. The company you might be able to buy small quantities from, is "Bob's Red Mill". Our local supermarket has a section of products packaged by them. It's more expensive than bulk, though. I use Bob's tapioca pearls; it takes very little pearl tapioca to make a big batch of pudding. We ordered a case (4 pounds, I think) a couple of years ago, and have tapioca pudding fairly often, and won't have to reorder for another year at least!

Jody
#32028 - 01/25/06 08:50 PM Re: "seed" mix  
Casper MSC Offline
Lives Here
Casper MSC  Offline
Lives Here

So we can feed them just whole grains?? For some reason I thought it had to be cooked, mashed and reformed into bars, cakes, cookies or such to feed them. I go to a natural food co-op to get much of our stuff for dogs and now the bird. So I can get whole wheat and barley and what ever too. Yea!!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny