Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31556 - 10/03/05 07:25 AM Why they should not eat chocolate?  
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Saampat Offline
New Member
Saampat  Offline
New Member

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Singapore
Why cockatoos should not eat chocolate? What will happen if they eat some?

#31557 - 10/03/05 12:50 PM Re: Why they should not eat chocolate?  
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,155
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer
*****

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,155
Covington, LA USA
Chocolate is toxic to all parrots. It contains a compound called theobromine which cannot be digested by avians.

Theobromine

#31558 - 10/03/05 02:03 PM Re: Why they should not eat chocolate?  
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 310
GeriDoc Offline
Member
GeriDoc  Offline
Member

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 310
New York City
I was just at a talk by Dr. Charles Grecco, a certified avian vet. He acknowledges the potential harm of chocolate, but feels that it is overemphasized, and that a small amount of chocolate is not harmful.. In fact, he has a dispenser in his office filled with M&M Peanut candies that he gives to his flock on rare occasions. He says they love to find the peanut (he has trained his birds to find food - he never gives them food in a bowl, always "hidden" in some way, such as in a paper bag or a box that they must open). From everything I have been able to find out about Dr. Grecco, he is very good, and I believe what he says about coocolate, but my birds don't need it, and won't get any.

Jay

#31559 - 10/03/05 03:59 PM Re: Why they should not eat chocolate?  
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,092
Ron Pack Offline
Lives Here
Ron Pack  Offline
Lives Here

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,092
Ohio
Even tho a small bit of chocolate probably won't kill a bird, the chances of a bird creating a craving for chocolate are pretty high...not a fun thing to deal with...the same holds true with some other types of food.

My 4 yr. old umbrella has a terrible craving for milk and it's really sad to watch him beg and even harder to tell him *NO ...especially since I was the person that caused his craving in the first place. shocked

#31560 - 10/03/05 04:54 PM Re: Why they should not eat chocolate?  
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 972
King Les Offline
Lives Here
King Les  Offline
Lives Here

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 972
Michigan
I have never fed my birds chocolate and I can eat chocolate in front of Les and he's not even interested. If Arthur sees me holding chocolate, he'll dive bomb me to get at it. I can't ever let him see chocolate because of it. Both of these birds are very picky eaters so I'm assuming that chocolate was something that was offered arthur in his last home.

I'm questioning the vet's thinking for keeping an m&m dispenser for the animals. Even if he believes that chocolate in moderation can't hurt a bird, he's jeopardizing his client birds by minimizing the potentially fatal effects of chocolate. How many people respect moderation? So a client gives their bird a peanut m&m cause the doc does and the next thing you know they're giving them another..If he wants to give a bird junk food he should put nutriberries in the dispenser. Even though they're not healthy at least they're not on the list of 'never feed' food. I just don't think that feeding m&m's to his birds is something that is necessary for him to make public.

#31561 - 10/03/05 07:45 PM Re: Why they should not eat chocolate?  
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 120
Ike 'n Monica Offline
Member
Ike 'n Monica  Offline
Member

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 120
Central California
We took in a U2, at least 28 years old who was fed chocolate quite a bit by the previous owner of 26 years. She knows exactly what the wrappers look like and knows she wants what is inside. If we leave them lying around she will get them. We discovered what she was being fed after we had her for a year, and her old owner brought over a Reese's Peanut Butter cup for her. Funny thing though, she didn't even want it. We have had her 14 months. When she came to live with us she smelled very sweet, much different than our M2's. She smells more like our M2's now so we think the candy was giving her that smell.

The only thing wrong with her after years of that diet is that her wings are atrophied. I am not sure but maybe the chocolate had something to do with that.

When we got our first M2 25 years ago, there were no warnings out there that we heard against chocolate. We have a picture of her eating an M& M. But she never ate the chocolate, she just enjoyed getting to the peanut.

#31562 - 10/03/05 09:24 PM Re: Why they should not eat chocolate?  
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 338
SonyaK Offline
Member
SonyaK  Offline
Member

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 338
IL
As a former poison control center employee and a registered nurse, earlier posts are correct; it is the theobromine in chocolate that can be toxic to animals because it is my understanding that they have problems metabolizing this.

However, you must be aware, in parrots, as in other animals, that a "taste" won't kill them...far from it, but it's not a good choice to feed this to birds due to it's high caloric and low nutrient value.

:-)
SonyaK


See our flock at www.5beaks.blogspot.com
#31563 - 10/05/05 07:56 AM Re: Why they should not eat chocolate?  
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Saampat Offline
New Member
Saampat  Offline
New Member

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Singapore
Thanks all for your valuable replies. I shall let everyone in my family know that chocolate is a no-no for my too. smile


Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.024s Queries: 13 (0.004s) Memory: 5.0236 MB (Peak: 5.3452 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-06-25 08:14:21 UTC