Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#30315 - 02/25/05 04:24 AM FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Sterling at All Cape Parrot Rescue has lost eight of his parrots . He suspects grapes from Chile.

Until the cause of these deaths can be proven otherwise, it would be best to not feed ANY grapes to your parrots until further notice.

#30316 - 02/25/05 05:03 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
ProjectPerry Offline
ProjectPerry  Offline

Manchester NH
oh my that is so awful, I am sorry Sterling. frown

Thank you for the warning Jerry

#30317 - 02/25/05 06:01 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
islander Offline
islander  Offline

Northern Ontario-- Alberta soo...
THIS IS ALL THE ADDITIONAL INFO THAT IS AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT AND IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE OWNER--CUT & PASTED

Thank you for your prayers. We have lost Marmalade a M2 Sunny a U2 Lita a GSC Joe a U2 abigail a MSC Marly a U2 Tasha a U2 Marcy a Noble Macaw and squally a pionus. This has devastated us they all died with in Half hour of eating half a grape that were washed with anti bactirial soap and rinsed well. We are taking birds to vet in morning for necropsy and grapes to health department for testing as our 18 year old daughter got sick at the same time as birds dieing. they all died with in minutes of each other there was nothing we could have done we called 3 vets the fire department was here to check for CO2 the police were here also the animal cpntrol was here we are also working with the health department as this happened last year here on the cape with fruit from chile but last year it was people that got sick not birds that I know of. We did not know this till the fire department came.

Please don't feed fresh fruit till we fined out for sure what happened we can not say 100% it was the fruit but we will as soon as the lab work comes back. But for now we are 99% sure it was the grapes.

#30318 - 02/25/05 06:04 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
flowerchild Offline
Lives Here
flowerchild  Offline
Lives Here

New England
there are grapes in my fridge that will not be making it into my birds dishes, no idea where
stop & shop buys their grapes. again- grow as much organic food for yourself and your birds as you can. it's the safest food we can feed. my heartfelt condolences to those who lost their birds.

#30319 - 02/25/05 06:09 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
Pandra Offline
Pandra  Offline

Park Hills, Missouri
Oh gosh, that so awful. I'm so glad now that Sugar refused to eat any freash fruit today. I tried to give her grapes and banana's for dinner. Those poor birds. Was that thier whole flock? Are the people doing ok? I'd be a basket case if that were me.

#30320 - 02/25/05 06:25 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
liviray Offline
Lives Here
liviray  Offline
Lives Here

Wi
For those of you that dont know....all cape parrot rescue has been a long time member of my too's and is a prime example of doing everything right all the time...

From what I understand ...he has lost 8 of his rescues including his wonderful wifes beloved u2.
For those of you that dont have the privlage of knowing this wonderful family please follow the link... www.allcapeparrotrescue.com and if there is any monatary donation you can make to help him out Im sure it will be appreciated...with all the birds... money is going to add up fast and this is the least deserving person for this to happen to.

Bless you sterdon...thinking of you here and waiting for an update.

#30321 - 02/25/05 01:23 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
corkytoo Offline
corkytoo  Offline

england, uk
does this warning extend to the uk or is it only grapes from a chain in the us? i'm sorry for your loss sterdon frown

#30322 - 02/25/05 01:45 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Assuming it is grapes... and assuming they're from Chile... those grapes are shipped all over the world.

#30323 - 02/25/05 03:52 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
liviray Offline
Lives Here
liviray  Offline
Lives Here

Wi
Here is an up-date from Sterling for those of you following the story:

Quote:
Hi all

Again Thank you for your support and prayers. Well it is 1:35 AM I am still in shock it seems like a bad dream I keep hoping I will wake up. The grapes came from people that wanted to start volunteering I have no number for them but know the person that told them about us and I am trying to get a hold of them to warn them about the grapes. We are not leaving out the idea this was a vicious attack. We hope it was not I need it to not be an attack as it would really make me loose faith in man kind. 2 birds that ate the grapes are still alive and doing fine but the grapes they ate were light green on the inside the ones that died had a darker color inside which we noticed after we took what was left out of the cages.

Again Thank You All for your support.

I know there was nothing I could do. We were able to hold all but 3 of the birds that died so they were not alone. The one comfort we have is they are with god and will never again see the inside of a cage they are free for ever more. I will update as I can but the tears make it hard to type.

#30324 - 02/25/05 04:02 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Oh my goodness, this is so tragic. I am so very sorry for your loss. I am anxious to hear the results of the testing.

#30325 - 02/25/05 04:42 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
2Lover Offline
2Lover  Offline

SW Virginia
Sterling, do keep us posted and think of us as a support group when you need to vent or ramble or whatever. There is no way to make sense of a tragedy like this. I too hope that there was no intentional element to this, that would indeed be a tragic statement on the human condition.

When will results of the lab tests be in?

#30326 - 02/25/05 06:28 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
db Offline
db  Offline

Sarasota FL
A very sad situation. My birds have been eating grapes from Chile on and off for the past couple weeks - I vary the green ones and the red ones which come from Chile. They are all fine. Either you got a bad batch or they were tampered with although I cannot imagine who would purposely do such a thing but people continue to surprise me with what they are capable of...
I feel for your loss - what a nightmare. I am very sorry and hope you get to the bottom of the cause. If you find it is an individual or group who did this I hope you track them down and get justice done...db

#30327 - 02/25/05 06:44 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Thats a very scary situation. I just got back from grocery shopping and buying red grapes from Chile. I too am in MA. I had put 2 of them on the skewer with some other fruit for Casper.

Jerry you may have saved Caspers life! Thank you so much for the warning. I read the warning and ran down and pulled the grapes she hadn't touched them yet. I can't thank you enough! Forever in your debt Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#30328 - 02/25/05 08:36 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
angie Offline
Lives Here
angie  Offline
Lives Here

grand forks,nd
Sterling,
I am sitting here at work with tears in my eyes...is there anything that we can do to help with the financial end of the burial or headstone. You are in my prayers... Also after doing some research I learned that sulfer dioxide is used on the grapes in Chile.
Angie

#30329 - 02/25/05 10:13 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
angie Offline
Lives Here
angie  Offline
Lives Here

grand forks,nd
I contacted Sterlings rescue and spoke with his daughter. I am sending off a donation to help cover vet expenses and anything else that is needed. I would encourage anyone else that can help to do so.
Angie

#30330 - 02/25/05 10:36 PM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

Hello to all my freinds on MYTOOS!

Sterling (that was my fathers name he died in October)Imy heart is breaking! what an aawful thing to happen to such a wonderful caring bird family!

After the past week, with all the crap going on with another "rescue" it is truly great to see a real CARING human for the birdies! I wish I had the means to help with $$! But my thoughts and prayers are with you and just remember your birdies are flying high in the skies above the rainbow bridge!
BTW just a quick note ALOT of the fresh fruit the US recieves in the winter months is from Chile. Please watch it all! The honey tangerines I put in my kids lunch boxes yesterday were from Chile! IKES!

#30331 - 02/26/05 12:48 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
sterdon Offline
sterdon  Offline

cape cod ma
Hi all
Again I will send out emails and return phone calls as soon as I can talk more. for an up date the vet thinks by the symtoms it is a fungus in the meat of the grapes. we will know more on monday or tuesday as the board of health is testing the grapes monday they are even testing what was left of some of the grapes the birds ate. I am sitting now waiting for the inntial necropsy report. will update as I can. again Thank You all from the bottem of my heart you have helped me and my family some much more than you can ever know.

again thank you all

UPDATE Vet just called

Marmalade was in near perfect health his brain tissue was fine heart and lungs were fine no hemerriging ,skin was in very good shape he thinks it was either a nerotoxcin or Mycotoxin. he also wants updates as he is worried for other birds and people.

#30332 - 02/26/05 01:58 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
liviray Offline
Lives Here
liviray  Offline
Lives Here

Wi
Wow...this is really scary. No more grapes in my house....

#30333 - 02/26/05 02:50 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
Mikki Offline
Mikki  Offline

Dear Sterling,

I apologize for waiting this long to post.

I'm very sorry for your loss and I pray that you and your family have strength during this painful time. I also hope that ultimately, some kind of good will come from this horrible experience.

I've sent some money your direction. Regardless of what was written in the designation box, please use it in whatever way you feel is best.

#30334 - 02/26/05 05:21 AM Re: FOOD ALERT! .. WARNING!  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I just saw what I think is the latest update:

Quote:
My family and ACPR has suffered an immense and incalculable loss. TO have
these members of our flock ripped from us with no warning is something I don't
wish for anyone to go through.

The necropsy is in, and it appears to be a natural toxin affecting the
nervous system. The Toxin is caused by a mold growth in the meat of the grape.

The birds will be cremated and their ashes spread on the wildlife preserve
here in West Harwich. A donation was given specifically for their headstone,
and it will be place in a memorial site nearby the ashes.

As I read countless message board posts and emails, received numerous phone
calls (my ear hurts), and been humbled by the donations you've all given, I
could never express to each and everyone one of you how much this means to me, my
family, and most of all the birds

Thank you so very much

Sterling
Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny