Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30157 - 02/24/05 07:00 PM Pellets  
birdheartsoul Offline
birdheartsoul  Offline

Maryland
Beside Harrison pellets has anyone found other good pellets? Is the quality the same? What do you recommend?

#30158 - 02/24/05 07:53 PM Re: Pellets  
Sunny-Baby Offline
Sunny-Baby  Offline

Canada
I feed both my G2's Zupreem Avian Maitenance and they both like them, I don't have to hide them or anything in order to get them to eat them.

S-B

#30159 - 02/24/05 08:39 PM Re: Pellets  
angie Offline
Lives Here
angie  Offline
Lives Here

grand forks,nd
I wouldn't feed our birds anything but Harrisons. We bought a 25 pound bag of zupreem and they would have nothing to do with them at all!! Try soaking a few harrisons in OJ...that usually works well,
Ang

#30160 - 02/24/05 08:59 PM Re: Pellets  
Roka Offline
Roka  Offline

How long do you soak them in orange juice? Is it the coarse or the fine that you use? I've ordered some more harrisons fine as Roka doesn't like the coarse.

#30161 - 02/24/05 09:14 PM Re: Pellets  
angie Offline
Lives Here
angie  Offline
Lives Here

grand forks,nd
I use the fine and I soak them in Oj for just a couple of minuts before giving them to Angel and Malik. They eat them like they were going out of style. Remember that for a cockatoo the recc. dosage is two tablespoons a day, so it doesn't take alot. I also use them as treats for our birds.
Angie

#30162 - 02/24/05 09:19 PM Re: Pellets  
Calif Condor Offline
Calif Condor  Offline

Palm Bay
I use Harrison's Coarse for my U2 and fine for my Meyers.

I use pruning shears to cut each block into 4 pieces before I give it to her. She loves the stuff. I sit with her on the floor while she eats. She has a coffee cup with her name on it. I fill her cup with water and put it next to her cereal bowl with her name on it.

As she cracks a piece, she will put it and her beak in the water to soften it up. She was fed dog food for five years so I think that's where she got the habit of soaking it to make it soft.

I use the Harrisons Lifetime with Pepper, Harrisons Power Treats and Harrisons High Potency Coarse. She loves it all.

AND she was no problem to switch over. One day Pretty Bird for Cockatoo's, the next day Harrisons.

#30163 - 02/24/05 10:10 PM Re: Pellets  
Roka Offline
Roka  Offline

angie thanks for the info on amounts, I thought Roka wasn't eating enough but he probably eats close to that. I'll try soaking in some juice just for variety. Have you tried the pepper harrisons, if so what was the reaction?

#30164 - 03/04/05 08:34 AM Re: Pellets  
FeatherHeads Offline
FeatherHeads  Offline

Cloviis, CA
Our G2 Sassy, 7 months, was very picky when we brought her home. She's been with us a month now and now loves RoudyBush pellets as long as I make a mush out of them.

I put about a tbsp in a bowl, cover with water and heat in micro 10 sec. I then add about a tsp of reg oatmeal (no sodium or additives) and mix well with a fork. I make sure this is not too warm before feeding it to her.

She sits in my lap on her baby blankie and spoon feeds. When she first sits she is more interested in the watery "broth" on top....then as it gets mushier she just munches down and eats it up! She will eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of the meal this way at least 2 times a day.

She likes a seed mix to munch on (more play than eating at first tho) and always has veggies available. She likes rice, corn and jalapeno peppers (which I wash well). She's not too big on eating as much as playing with it, but we are working it. She will nibble on spinach leaves to.

I am adding in a little bit of uncooked roudybush in the mixture trying to get her to like it that way too. At first she just took it out or passed over it. Now she is tasting them and nibbling on them too. She still prefers it mushy and warm, but I'm hoping to convert her to liking it dry as well. I do love handfeeding her tho... she loosk so sweet and melts my heart with her mushy little beak!

Our vet says she is healthy and happy so we must be doing something right.

Hugs!

Featherheads

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny