Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 6 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30033 - 01/29/05 07:11 AM "Too says no way  
jaznblu Offline
jaznblu  Offline

San Luis Obispo, CA
Me again smile

Michael (RB2)is so used to seed he is really resisting his new homemade tasty food. He will eat it, but not happily. I know it will take some getting used to and I WILL stick with it. His pellets are on the way (Harrison Hi-potency).

What do you all think about some the "soak n' cook" foods. The jardine I nanny for loves the "Beak-Appetit" mixes. Any thoughts?

I have been mixing beans, wild rice, peas, corn, green beans, and a few pieces of cooked pasta. Also, some yelow and orange bell pepper. ????

jaz

jaz
#30034 - 01/29/05 08:49 AM Re: "Too says no way  
Sand Grouper Offline
Sand Grouper  Offline

Alberta, Canada
It may take over a year for him to "accept" the food change. Take heart that you are doing the right thing for him. The bell pepper is fine and try him with the seeds intact, most galahs love these. Try a few foods at a time is my only other suggestion, not a whack of them at one time. He may have allergies to certain foods and this is one way of finding out.
S.G

#30035 - 01/29/05 02:55 PM Re: "Too says no way  
Sammy ,Mickey and Harvey Offline
Sammy ,Mickey and Harvey  Offline

phoenix az
Ahhhh seeds its like ice cream and cake to a pet bird. If possible try and monitor his weight to see if its working for him. Also hi potency is only good for a short time and then you'll have to get the Harrisons regular. My G2 Sammy loves the fine as I always find the course pellets on the ground. I also throw in different kinds including the colored ones that smell like bubble gum. Just a little variety.

The soak and cook are good but the uncooked beans are hard on their digestive system. You can freeze any amount in small bags so as to keep the rest frozen.

Did you know that if you like to add anything to a previous post you can go to the icon on top of your post and click on the pencil which will allow you to change or add anything.

#30036 - 01/29/05 04:14 PM Re: "Too says no way  
corkytoo Offline
corkytoo  Offline

england, uk
hi jaz,
i know corky's a different too but we are still struggling to change his diet. he's getting better but we've still got a long way to go. at least michael will eat them that's a positive start. corky wouldn't touch anything other than sunflower seeds. the guys here are spot on when they say persevere. it does happen just real slowly laugh

#30037 - 01/29/05 08:12 PM Re: "Too says no way  
jaznblu Offline
jaznblu  Offline

San Luis Obispo, CA
Thanks for the tips. Jerry told me about the double posts just now on another thread.

Sorry for the "filler" posts. Won't happen again.

jaz

jaz
#30038 - 01/30/05 04:26 PM Re: "Too says no way  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Jaz, Peaches (M2) wanted nothing to do with the soak-and-cook foods. I could make the same thing from scratch and she'd eat it.

#30039 - 01/30/05 08:55 PM Re: "Too says no way  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Hi Jaz Have you tried using skewers. Casper wasn't eating her pellets so I ground them up and made cookies out of them. You can grind them in a blender then add veggies or fruit some sugar free juice or applesauce. Make cookie shapes and microwave them. I cook them on high for 20 seconds per side flipping them and continue cooking 20 secs each until a good hardness or softness. I started putting holes in the center while still soft and then cooking until hard to put on the skewer. Casper loves it that way. She can play and eat at the same time! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#30040 - 01/30/05 09:07 PM Re: "Too says no way  
Katie_and_Gucci Offline
Katie_and_Gucci  Offline

New York
Also, try oatmeal-pellet cookies. You cook the oatmeal, drain the water, add cockatiel sized pellets, and leave them to dry. keep trying though, because today, for the first time ever, Gucci actually ate an apple without me hoping that something got into his tummy while he was shredding it.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny