Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#28820 - 02/12/04 07:00 PM Is Harrison's worth the price?  
WendyKLS Offline
WendyKLS  Offline

I almost fell over when I heard the price of my first bag of Harrisons! Is this pellet THAT much better than the others? Also, will I be able to keep it fresh in my refrigerator? I'm feeding a CAG, G2, Hahn's Macaw, Quaker, 2 cockatiels and 2 parakeets - I got one 5lb.larger size for the larger birds and one 5 lb.mini for my small guys - they all regularly get fruits, veggies, beans, pasta, a little egg and seed - (only handfed as an occasional treat)Thanks, Wendy

#28821 - 02/12/04 08:35 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
katy girl Offline
Lives Here
katy girl  Offline
Lives Here

Katy, Texas
Would also like to know what people think about harrisons. It cost me $29.95 for a five lb. bag. I went to one vet to buy some and they wanted $l6.99 for a 1 lb. bag. Wouldn't you think a vet wouldn't try to take the public like that and he is an avian vet.

#28822 - 02/12/04 09:25 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
harriet Offline
harriet  Offline

opinions on harrison's are all over. some people swear by it and others think it is a waste. i will tell you that some people with greys have had experience with excessive urinary output when fed the harrisons. haven't heard this with other parrots and, in fact, many greys seem fine with it. just something to pay attention to with yours if you buy it.

#28823 - 02/12/04 09:29 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
Matt-Helm Offline
Matt-Helm  Offline

My Desk
My vet recommended Roudybush as an alternative to Harrisons.

http://www.roudybush.com/

#28824 - 02/12/04 11:48 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
Tammie Boisvert Offline
Tammie Boisvert  Offline

Charlton, Massachusetts
I think Harrison's is well worth the price. They eat less than other brands. My birds have less waste of food and their droppings are healthier looking. I have tried some other brands of pellets and definitely notice a big difference in their feather growth. I am a fan of Harrison's... along with Dr. Beex birdkakes and fresh fruits and veggies!

#28825 - 02/13/04 12:58 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
2dad Offline
2dad  Offline

Arkansas
It is my personal option that Harrison's is not worth it. IF it were only slightly higher in cost, then I would feed it. I believe that many many people here associates "Organic" with be automatically better, but this is not true. Unless EXTREME care is taken, then contamination with VERY unwanted molds, bacteria, etc. and their by products is certain to occur at higher levels after the food is produced and or opened for use. Other's claim because it is "natural" that it is far better. But "natural" in of itself means nothing at all. This is shown by the recent banning of Ephedra from various "suppliments" for causing health problems for some. Also Botolism (spelling?), Aminnite mushrooms, and being eaten by a Lion are "all natural" as well, but I hardly consider them "good and healthy". As far as nutrition goes, then it would be wise to find the analysis of available nutrients. Most of the major ingredients of pellet foods are more of less the same, with some variation as you move down the list of ingrdients. Marion Zoological produces a food the can be bought online that has a very high nutritional analysis, and is not nearly as expensive as Harrison's. However this may not be the best food either, for excesses of even good things can be VERY bad. In example fat soluble Vitamins can easily be toxic at high doses, and iron can cause liver damage and other problems if taken at too high levels for too long. The right amount of EACH nutrient is what is important, and that will vary from species to species, and these are generally one or two food to cover most parrots for a particular size range. I personally do not rely on a single pellet food. I often mix two kinds, and I rotate between 4-7 brands and mixes as they are available in my area. That way I feel I have a better change of avoiding the possible nutrition pitfalls. My parrot gets more variation, and if I can't get a particular food for a while, then I don't have a problem as Taz is already use to eating many others (though they might not be his favorite). The main thing to me is a varied diet, and what they eat best. If you bird(s) are of good weight, size, obviously good feather, skins eyes etc. and in excellent condition then don't worry. To use a good southern version of a saying "If it AIN'T broke... DON'T fix it!"

Just my $.02. Hope it helps.

#28826 - 02/13/04 01:53 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
onyxena Offline
onyxena  Offline

Connecticut
I have tried the Harrisons and found it to be not well accepted. My birds are in gorgeous, lustrous feather, good skin, plenty of healthy droppings! THye readily eat roudybush and Zupreem but harrison's was tasted and dropped. For the high price, I'd rather feed something they actually eat! From the info I've read, it is goood for some birds who are very sensitive or malnourished. Pellets, Seed, nuts, fruit, veggies, cooked mixes, and various peuople foods seem to work here!!!
As previously stated, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

#28827 - 02/13/04 02:31 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
zoe luvr Offline
Lives Here
zoe luvr  Offline
Lives Here

California
I love Harrisons and think it is well worth the price. Zoe my G2 always had watery poops untill she ate harrisons and I have a Grey and a G2 who do great on it. I agee that they ate alot less and a 5 pound bag last me around 2 months, so really I am only paying about 15 a month on bird food, not including fresh stuff.

#28828 - 02/13/04 02:46 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
WendyKLS Offline
WendyKLS  Offline

I appreciate the information - I will be trying Harrison's - I suppose I'm always searching for a way to bring more health and vitality to my flock - my Grey, cockatiels, parakeets and Quaker are in beautiful feather but my Hahn's and my Goffins could definitely look better - they act healthy and happy but they're both over preeners - the Hahns definitely responds to variety in his diet and gets very excited when I put some new combination of things in his food bowl - the Goffins is moody - somedays she's thrilled with a new food - other days it just becomes material for tossing. Wendy

#28829 - 02/13/04 02:55 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
GeriDoc Offline
GeriDoc  Offline

New York City
2Dad: I feed several pellets, too, but for a different reason. I expect Kitty (U2) and Donko (CAG) to live for many years. I don't expect food manufacturers to last as long, so I want to be sure that my birds will always have some pellet that they will eat, even if one or two manufacturers go out of business.

Jay

#28830 - 02/13/04 06:35 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
Sand Grouper Offline
Sand Grouper  Offline

Alberta, Canada
We converted our flock to Harrison's about three months ago and it was accepted immediately. The new feathers that are coming in are stunning and the activity level of our birds has increased and they seem to have more energy. I still feed fresh and other foods as well but the Harrison's is the backbone of the diet. We pay considerably more for it here in Canada so consider yourselves lucky. I am paying about $75.00 CDN for a 5 lb bag of the High Potency Coarse formula. We have had no problems with quality or storage as long as you follow the instructions on the bag.

We have tried other brands with mixed results. Birds don't necessarily eat what is best for them so you do need to work at it. Too frequently I hear or read "my bird didn't like that" or "we didn't like the look of it". Well folks you have to be the one who selects the best menu that you can afford for your birds and keep at it. Just because it wasn't accepted in the first day doesn't mean giving up. I have had birds that took over a year to begin accepting certain food. Their appetites change as they mature and what they are exposed to and all of a sudden one day they like mushy peas!! If this means slaving away in a kitchen cooking, chopping etc etc, then so be it. We have taken on this job so we need to do it well. Like many of you we cook, chop select, boil and peel whatever we need to to keep the menu varied and exciting.

JMO smile laugh

#28831 - 02/13/04 07:48 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
I swear by Harrison's. I have tried all the natural pellets on the market that I am aware of and none of them made a difference in my birds like the Harrisons. No other pellet that I have tried has ever caused a moult and improved the plumage like the Harrisons did. I feed a very well balanced diet of fresh foods also. IMO SOMETHING, when they were on the other pellets and fresh diet, was STILL lacking that Harrisons has appeared to balance out.

I also find less waste because they do not sort thru colors (when I first started feeding pellets and was using colored) finding their favs (they get their need for a colorful diet filled w/ fresh foods), they seem to eat less of it but still maintain a good weight. The Harrisons is also compressed vs expanded saving many of the nutrients that are cooked out of other pellets. I have never had a problem w/ spoilage of this product; all you have to do is squeeze out the air and zip close.

My birds have never been sick and the blood values from their annual work ups have shown nothing but improvement in all areas since being on Harrisons. (I chart each yrs results to compare them to previous yrs.) Liberty did have high cholesterol when I 1st got her but after retesting on her new diet (after 4 months) it is now high-normal.

I know some people do not believe in pellets and in a perfect world we wouldn't need them but we can not recreate their diets in the wild. We do not know EVERYTHING that wild parrots eat and even if we did it does not mean we'd have access to those foods. The "fresh" veggie and fruits we feed; unless picked from the plant; have lost much of their nutritional value from sitting in storage. Frozen foods have shown to be more healthy than the fresh, but they loose the crispness that many parrots enjoy. I use pellets in hopes that what our foods from the grocery store does not supply, the pellets balance. It is of my opinion, of all the pellets I have tried that Harrisons provides this service the best.

PS> To my knowledge there never has been a case of an overdose to a parrot w/ NATURAL foods. Yes, supplements and synthetic vitamins can cause ODs. I never suggest any vitamin supplements of any kind when on a pelleted diet.

#28832 - 02/13/04 10:03 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Here, here, M2Mom. I feel the same way about pellets. Zazu (goffin) has been eating Tropican pellets since she was weaned 7 & 1/2 years ago. I've had a rough time converting Sally. She ate the hot pepper Harrisons readily but the second time around I couldn't get it. I ended up getting the High Potency and she will not eat it. So I've just been giving her the Tropican. If it is good enough for Zazu, it is good enough for her. However, I did order a new organic pellet someone recommended called TOP. I should have it next week.

Bev, Zazu and Sally Ann

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#28833 - 02/15/04 01:05 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
Lori and Flockatiels Offline
Lori and Flockatiels  Offline

VA
I used Roudybush with my tiels, then converted to Harrisons for about 3 years before converting back to Roudybush just this past year.
I had more problems with my tiels on Harrisons. I am not blaming the food, but maybe, like someone else stated, the food could grow molds/bacteria?? I also saw quite a loss in weight in all of my tiels while on the Harrisons. My tiel with kidney problems got worse on Harrison's and I actually lost him. I only have tiels, not larger parrots, though, so my problems may be unique or maybe not.
I switched back to Roudybush now that they have stopped using the Ethoxyquin.

#28834 - 03/01/04 08:59 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
Mistralmadriiax Offline
Mistralmadriiax  Offline

NYC
I was able to convert my U2 to Harrisons High Potency almost immediately! He hasn't been on it long enough for me to see long-term effects, but I was encouraged by his zeal for it after having had lived off seed with his former owners. I mixed a bit of seed with the Harrisons, along with fresh fruit, veggies, pasta, beans etc. the first few days. To my surprise, the only thing that was tossed/left in the bowl was the seed!

Of course, it all depends on the individuality of the bird, but so far Harrison's gets a 'thumbs up' from me!

#28835 - 04/12/04 11:11 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
A Handful Offline
A Handful  Offline

johannesburg - south africa
i was not sure what you were all talking about and then last month in my vet there it was - harrisions. i then looked at the small print (read price) and remembered that i had a morgage to pay and car repayments - it may be great but down here in sunny south africa they want R399-00 for 1kg - that about $70 for 2 1/2 lbs - sorry when i currently go through 7kg each month and a 1/2 for R70 - $10-00 and the birds are in good if not great condition then there is no way i can justify the price.
also tried a tin of kaytees once and vacummed more off the floor than from the paper in the bottom of the cage.
if it ain't broke don't fix it sounds like a good motto.
colin

#28836 - 04/12/04 01:07 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
Valex Offline
Valex  Offline

Massachusetts
we used harrisons on and off over the years, if there was a place i could get it priced fairly (used to be a tech for a bird vet) I find it worth the money, however, after the move they had to be converted because of cost to something more affordable. Zupreem natural. We have over the past nine years tried many diets. I find that Zupreem does a pretty darn good job. Harrison's in my opinion is great. Roudybush is great. Zeigler's is great. I think as natural as you can get is better than the colored foods. I used Kaytee for years with no problems until this year with our scarlet macaw. Once switched the bird started to improve his feather plucking habit. UP until then, (and these were the colored pellets) they had all been doing great on it. The Kaytee organic was a big hit with the cockatiels and macaws but nobody else. Zupreem was accepted quickly and the birds look great. Other than this they also get fresh offerings, bean mix with pasta, occational organic babyfood(HUGE FAV.) and the newest addition, a few handfuls of Higgin's fruit and nut, boca nut, and veggie formulas. Our birds have been relatively healthy, and look and act great. Diet is such an individual thing...really...there is no right answer with this, but if you can afford the harrison's i say USE IT.
for now ours are getting Zupreem natural flavor.
smile

#28837 - 04/12/04 02:53 PM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
I guess I am very lucky. My vet is such a big fan of Harrison's she sells it to her clients at her cost; no mark up whatsoever. She is the cheapest I have found; on-line or elsewhere !!

Lori and FOT,
Harrison's USED to have an ingredient in the fine size called Psyllium that they have discovered was bothering some 'tiels. They have removed it.

#28838 - 04/13/04 02:25 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
Tsuki Offline
Tsuki  Offline

Switzerland
In Japan we can get Harrison's, Roudy Bush and ZuPreem. They are all a small fortune compared to the US price. Roudy Bush seems to be Tsuki's favourite. But recently I found food by RC Hagen and Piccolini. The Hagen food she really disliked. The Piccolini I just use in addition to the Roudy Bush, not instead. I found with ZuPreem that she liked the fact that it was reallly crunchy, but she was not actually eating much.

#28839 - 04/15/04 01:34 AM Re: Is Harrison's worth the price?  
ConnieS Offline
Lives Here
ConnieS  Offline
Lives Here

Well, after reading gobs of posts on pellets and trying every one known to man, I finally tried the Harrisons (had held off because of price). My U2 went crazy for it and now hardly touches his seed. Luckily the rest of the flock likes it too. We have gone through the "Harrisons molt" and I have to say that I have noticed the difference. I also have less waste so I am a convert. It's Harrisons from now on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny