Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28414 - 11/27/03 11:39 PM Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  
zoe luvr Offline
Lives Here
zoe luvr  Offline
Lives Here

California
Does anyone else notice a habit in what part of the day your bird consume the most food?
I would think it would be normal for them to eat the most in the morning but it is differant at my house. The birds get up between 9:30 am and 10 am and get put to bed at 12 pm. (yes I know, not your typical "bird" hours but it works well here)
They get fed breakfast at 10 am. I can not leave food in the cages all day because Harrisons is just to expensive for Zoe's wasteful habits and both of the birds dunking habits. Then lunch is fed at around 2 pm (once in a while they miss the lunch feeding when no one is able to feed them) and then they eat dinner at about 6 and eat again around 9:30 and then again at about 11:30.
They get fed 8 pellets (coarse size) each feeding so they are consuming around 32-40 pellets a day give or take a few. They are a G2 and a TAG...Is this a normal amount or are they over eatting? Neither one is skinny or fat..just healthy. Also does anyone elses birds eat alot in the evenings?
Jenny laugh

#28415 - 11/28/03 12:29 AM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

Conrad doesn't eat pellets so I have no idea about amounts however he eats a bit when he first wakes up, a bit more at lunch, a bit more for an after school snack and about the same amount for "dinner" and then a small snack before bedtime...

cheers

brody

#28416 - 11/28/03 12:30 AM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

jenny, as i always worry about my birds eating enough, i leave pellets out, always, and also feed birdie bread, birdie omelets, plus fruit and vegies. this is when i am able to be home to take old food out. on work days they get more stuff when i come home.

i imagine your vet will tell you if your bird gets overweight.

happy turkey day, i'm looking forward to eating mine soon...........linda2

#28417 - 11/29/03 10:15 AM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  
zoe luvr Offline
Lives Here
zoe luvr  Offline
Lives Here

California
Brody, well it seems Conrad is eating about the same number of meals as my birds. They are not over weight but I just wonder how they can eat so much and fit it all in there little bodies.

They eat nothing though compared to my red eared slider Dexter (now happily residing in a pond in a millionares back yard smile ) He could eat 20 feeders in 2 hours. He broke my pockets, cost 200 a month to keep him fed and clean. He was a rescue though so I was sad to see him go but happy he could live outside in a pond, with real sun, and other turtles as he (well actually she) should.

Linda, I am not worried that they are eating too little, if they get hungry they let me know. Zoe however doesn't let pellets stay in the bowl for longer than 5 seconds if she is full...lol

#28418 - 11/29/03 02:41 PM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  
Valex Offline
Valex  Offline

Massachusetts
i heard...don't know the truth of it...that birds eating on a mealtime schedule like this do very well...i personally leave food out (and yes i pay too much for food that gets thrown lol)
i think the reason why it seems like so much is you are forgetting birds have very warm bodies, and are very high metabolisms compared to us mammals!
I just wanted to thow in what i know. Think about that frantic heartrate they have! Listen to your too's heart sometime...whew! I get tired just thinking about it! (its fun by the way to put your ear to their chest and listen...just a thing to do)

#28419 - 11/29/03 11:46 PM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  
zoe luvr Offline
Lives Here
zoe luvr  Offline
Lives Here

California
Valex, I definatly agree with you that putting the birds on a scedule does wonders for the bird.

Zoe my G2 has to have a scedule for almost everything that she/we do. If she stays up past her bed time she is not fun to be around and your sure to get a painful bite when she stays up late. She used to have the worst behavior problems and sceduling her feedings, bedtimes and wake ups really has helped. She feels more secure this way and knows what to excpect thru out the day. Felix my TAG on the other hand is perfectly behaved and has his door opened all the time except bed (or sometimes he won't sleep). But he is kept on the smae scedule as zoe.
I guess the main reason I was wondering this is because Felix has put on a bit of weight but he is 1 year old and his body is just filling out , also Greys seem to have big chests and heavy bodies, they are just stout little creatures...lol

#28420 - 11/30/03 12:50 AM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
Zoe, do you have a gram scale that you can weigh your birds on? The information that I have states a TAG should weigh between 300-360 grams. It might put your mind at ease being able to weigh them and knowing if they are indeed over weight. Just a thought.

Tammy

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
#28421 - 11/30/03 01:08 AM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  
zoe luvr Offline
Lives Here
zoe luvr  Offline
Lives Here

California
Tammy I do have a scale but he won't stay on long enough to get his weight, not even if his life depended on it. I want one like the vet has...it has a branch on it for the birds to sit on. Last time I weighed him was about 6 months ago and he was 300 grams then, I would say he is probably about 340 by now, just a guess though. (?) I am not really that worried if he starts feeling really mushy in the front, then I will worry...lol

#28422 - 11/30/03 01:59 AM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

weigh a perch and add that weight to the weight on the scale smile

#28423 - 11/30/03 02:35 AM Re: Over Eatting & Late Night Eating  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

To get him to stay on the scale maybe put something on it that he would be content to stand and chew while you weigh him? I don't know. And about the eating habits, I don't think I've ever noticed my birds eating more unless I gave them more. Hey as long as they're full.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny