Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 61 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27019 - 08/27/02 07:54 PM Woods...?  
New2toos Offline
New2toos  Offline

Crestline, Ca
Hi all,
I've seen alot of different ads for perches with various woods used.

Which woods are not healthy for toos? I live in a forest and the amount of wood available to me by just going into my backyard is enormous. I have manzanita, oak-2 kinds, eucalyptus (near my kids school),apple, orange, pear, maple, aspen and every pine just about imaginable.
Which are no-no's? I can't imagine pine trees would be good for parrots. The sap is so combustible it works better than gasoline at starting a fire. If you ever put a pine cone in a firepit you know what I mean.

Is it a good idea to let it dry well? When we buy cords of wood we usually season it over for a year. I figure that would be a good idea with a cockatoo too... just to dry it out well.

I was playing with a baby B&G yesterday and he was really big on "tasting" me. That's when I was started thinking about the wood and sap.

All info appreciated
Thanks
Alcina

#27020 - 08/27/02 08:42 PM Re: Woods...?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi! I would stay away from pine. Manzanita, birch, maple and crabapple trees are all fine. However, I would suggest you cook your pieces in the oven around 250 degrees for an hour so as to kill any bacteria or bugs. Stay away from oak as the bark is harmful to birds.

I only use the four types of wood listed above but maybe other members have more suggestions! laugh

#27021 - 08/27/02 10:28 PM Re: Woods...?  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
This site is a great source for safe,unsafe,and unknown wood types for birds http://birdsafe.com/woods.htm Hope everyone finds it useful! smile

#27022 - 08/28/02 12:52 AM Re: Woods...?  
Catherine Offline
Catherine  Offline

MN
They gave great advise above.. mine... STAY AWAY from anything with SAP!

#27023 - 08/28/02 09:26 AM Re: Woods...?  
Zazu Offline
Zazu  Offline

Netherlands
You are so lucky to have manzanita growing in your back yard. i will have to go to the store and buy it!
I live in Europe... So maybe the manzanita is local where you live??
my parrots

#27024 - 08/28/02 04:21 PM Re: Woods...?  
Cuzzie Offline
Cuzzie  Offline

Durban,South Africa
Guava is also very good as a perch as it is quite hard and takes a while for them to chew through.I make all my play stands and perches out of this.

#27025 - 08/28/02 04:22 PM Re: Woods...?  
Cuzzie Offline
Cuzzie  Offline

Durban,South Africa
Guava is also very good as a perch as it is quite hard and takes a while for them to chew through.I make all my play stands and perches out of this.

#27026 - 08/28/02 06:37 PM Re: Woods...?  
New2toos Offline
New2toos  Offline

Crestline, Ca
Hi all and thank you for all the great info!!

I can just see my hubby's face now..."What's for dinner?"..."aaaa Manzanita" wink ...LOL.

I haven't checked that website, but I will.
I was reading last night that toos forage eucalyptus flowering buds in the wild. Anybody read this or given it to your bird?

I live in the mountains of southern California and manzanita grows wild. I have a very large stand of it in the backyard and 2 bushes in the front yard. As they grow it seems to be the braches near the ground die off. I can remove them without damaging the bush. I guess now I'll be saving all those dead branches I prune.

I'm really glad I found this board YOU are ALL so helpful.
THANKS
Alcina

#27027 - 08/28/02 06:42 PM Re: Woods...?  
New2toos Offline
New2toos  Offline

Crestline, Ca
M2mom...Thanks for the link I saved it to favorites...It's great I found this and copied it to post...hope they done't mind... smile

"Eucalyptus - while it appears on many toxic lists I have never been able to find a good reason for it being there. The level of phenols (the toxic elements in eucalyptus) is lower than in many pine species which are considered perfectly safe. While you might want to avoid the foliage there doesn't appear to be any reason to do so. Considering that many lorikeet and cockatoo species eat the flowers and new leaves in the wild, and that it is
the dominant native wood for Australia concern over it's toxicity seems exaggerated."

Just what I found...but I'm a newbie so take with caution!
Alcina

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny