Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26942 - 07/14/02 12:46 AM Peaches?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok....I thought I read somewhere that peaches were toxic to birds. Now I'm not sure if it's the fruit/meat part or the pit (which I have no desire to give anyway). I bought some peaches and want to see if my birds like them, but I first want to make sure they are ok for them.

Any info? wink

#26943 - 07/14/02 02:49 AM Re: Peaches?  
mds Offline
mds  Offline

alaska
Hi,Peaches are ok but the pits can be toxic.

#26944 - 07/14/02 03:07 AM Re: Peaches?  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I agree, the fruit is okay, but no apple seeds (they contain cyanide) and NO pits from any fruits such as peaches, cherries, etc. The pits are known to be toxic to many birds.

#26945 - 07/14/02 01:05 PM Re: Peaches?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh good, thought it was the pit....just wanted to be sure. Thanks so much! laugh

#26946 - 07/18/02 11:00 AM Re: Peaches?  
Lora Lee Offline
Lora Lee  Offline

Washington
Just wanted to clarify something here.

You don't feed/allow parrot to have the pits of certain fruit due to the probability of mold and fungus growing inside (the pit). To my knowledge (however small that may be!) peaches do not contain Cyanide--and it's not really cyanide in apples (just that the body converts it into what molecularly appears to have the same make-up).

My general rule of thumb is--if I won't eat it, neither will they smile If you put a large pit under a vise and crack it open most often you'll see mold. If I can see mold (and mind you, those little micro-biotic things freak me out) the germ ratio is ten fold. Super creepy! eek eek

#26947 - 07/18/02 03:04 PM Re: Peaches?  
CathyP Offline
CathyP  Offline

MN
Eewwww! eek
However, cyanide is in apple seeds, you can make an apple seed pie and if you eat it, it will kill you. There was a murder case in Washington State about it many years ago.
My M2 loves peaches warmed in a nice "mash". Mash is a warm food looks a lot like baby cereal with fruit in it, or handfeeding formula. When ever I have a sick birdy or someone new I feed that. Helps bolster calories.
I should dig out the recipe and post it here.

#26948 - 07/18/02 06:31 PM Re: Peaches?  
cockatoostreet.com Offline
cockatoostreet.com  Offline

Utah
Cathy: I'm glad to see somebody else feeds their birds mash. We thought we were the only ones. We make thick hand feeding formula (pretty bird has a low fat/high protein mix) and blend it 50/50 with healthy things like apple sauce, pumpkin, organic baby food. We add also powdered cuttle bone for a natural source of calcium.

Two of our rescues have seem to have a hard time eating hard foods and pellets, so they love to eat it warm out of their own little dish.

#26949 - 07/18/02 08:05 PM Re: Peaches?  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
You don't feed/allow parrot to have the pits of certain fruit due to the probability of mold and fungus growing inside (the pit). To my knowledge (however small that may be!) peaches do not contain Cyanide--and it's not really cyanide in apples (just that the body converts it into what molecularly appears to have the same make-up).
I disagree with you on this Lora and repeat what I posted earlier..apple seeds DO contain cyanide.
I quote from this site..
Cyanide

Quote:
The major threat of cyanide poisoning to livestock and
terrestrial mammalian wildlife is through ingestion of
plants containing high levels of cyanogenic glycosides.
Plants implicated in cyanide poisoning of animals include
the sorghums (Johnson grass, Sorghum halepense; Sudan
grass, Sorghum almum), arrowgrass (Triglochin spp.),
elderberry (Sambucus spp.), wild cherry (Prunus spp.),
and the pits of several common fruits, such as apple,
peach, and apricot; these plants and fruit pits have the
potential of releasing cyanide upon ingestion. Domestic
goats (Capra spp.) died of cyanide poisoning after eating
leaves and fruit of the crab apple (Malus sylvestris);
the crab apple contains cyanogenic glycosides in its
leaves and fruit.
Cyanide 2
Another source

I didnt say peaches had cyanide, but apparently they are included in this group also.

#26950 - 07/18/02 10:24 PM Re: Peaches?  
Lora Lee Offline
Lora Lee  Offline

Washington
Wow Mona! That's an excellent source of information--64 pages!

I know many people feed the whole apple, and have been doing this for a period of years. I, however, don't include seeds or pits. And I never knew peach pits contained CN-, or that it's in almonds, beans, cashews, coca beans, peanuts, peas, pecans, sesame, walnuts....etc.

I guess what is the safe level of CN- is the question? "Animals that eat rapidly are at the greatest risk, and intakes of 4mg HCN/kg BW can be leathal is consumed quickly.

Free cyanide levels associated with high avian death rates include 0.12 mg/L in air, 2.1-4.6 mg/kg BW via acute oral exposure, and 1.3 mg/kg BW administered IV. Dietary levels of 135 mg total cyanide/kg ration resulted in growth reduction of chicks, but 103 mg total cyanide/kg ration had no measureable effect on domestic chickens."

"The nutritive value of African star apple was evaluated chemically....the hydrocyanic acid content was 5.4 mg/100 g in the peel and 6.8 in the pulp....." Which is very interesting considering it is found in the peel and pulp.

"Elevated cyanide levels are normally encountered in more than 1,000 species of food plants and forage crops...." Wow!

That is an excellent link for anyone who wonders about cyanide. Thanks for setting me straight Mona!

#26951 - 07/18/02 10:35 PM Re: Peaches?  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Youre welcome, I would agree that it would PROBABLY take a lot of seeds or pits to actually kill, but thats just a chance I cant afford to take. I heard about the cyanide years ago, and was told it was mother natures way of assuring that the seeds and pits were not all eaten by wild animals and birds, and able to be scattered about and reseed to produce more fruits. The mysteries of nature always amaze me in their ability to protect themselves against man and animal :-)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny