Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26925 - 07/12/02 08:29 AM Strawberries  
Cuzzie Offline
Cuzzie  Offline

Durban,South Africa
Does anyone know if it is alright to give your bird strawberries,never tried.

#26926 - 07/12/02 03:04 PM Re: Strawberries  
Catherine Offline
Catherine  Offline

MN
I think there is concern about the seeds. However I have always been in the habit of letting my U2 eat the "tops" of the strawberries when I'm having them, the leafs and just a tiny bite of the red fruit. (Of course if they eat a lot like most foods it does color the poo.)

#26927 - 07/13/02 02:13 AM Re: Strawberries  
Birdfriend2 Offline
Birdfriend2  Offline

Englewood, NJ
I have always given my birds strawberries and have had no problems. Some birds pick off every seed and eat them, but don't eat the fruit. Other birds eat the whole berries. Every birdie has been fine. The only problem I know of is that strawberries from California have been tested and shown to have very high pesticide residue. I assume most strawberries are grown with the same methods, so rinse them carefully.

#26928 - 07/13/02 02:23 AM Re: Strawberries  
Lora Lee Offline
Lora Lee  Offline

Washington
I would only feed organic strawberries wink

#26929 - 07/13/02 12:47 PM Re: Strawberries  
deus Offline
deus  Offline

France
Hi I need help my U2 Deus is underweight I can feel and see her breast bone is so sharp is scary, she eats pellets, veggies and fruits, specially almonds in the shell are her favorites, so I don't have a clue what is going on. My amazon eats the same and his weight is fine.
We need help were I live in France I am the only one with 2 big parrots so help here is out of the question.
Iwe will apreciate any comments.

Thank you in advance!!!

#26930 - 07/15/02 09:32 AM Re: Strawberries  
Cuzzie Offline
Cuzzie  Offline

Durban,South Africa
Hi Deus

Have you tried to feed him a bit more of a fatty diet e.g. Brazil nuts,Macadamian nuts,Cashews.I noticed that when i fed Cuzzie my LSC2 a supplementry diet of this he filled out very well as these nuts are high in cholesterol but be careful not to give him too much.the food recomended to me by my vet was AVI-PLUS gourmet food for large parrots,I give this to cuzzie as his staple diet now along with his fruit and veg aswell as everything else that i am eating.

#26931 - 07/15/02 05:07 PM Re: Strawberries  
LindaK Offline
Lives Here
LindaK  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Hello Deus: I would still try to find a Bird Vet for an opinion. There is such a thing as "Going Light" or "Wasting Disease" Let`s hope not. But it is important to find out.Do a search on the net and see if you can find a Vet who will answer your question. Good luck.

#26932 - 07/16/02 01:40 AM Re: Strawberries  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Deuss is REALLY isolated, btw....Deus, what you could do is contact your regular dog or cat vet(or any vet, if you don't have them)and ask him to find the closest avian veterinarian by asking through his network of people. If it is too far to take a ferry and drive, you can see if you can have stool and blood samples sent to a lab for testing.
Deus BTW, has NO parrot resources in the area...any one who knows the european parrot scene well can you help Deuss out?

#26933 - 07/16/02 03:45 PM Re: Strawberries  
deus Offline
deus  Offline

France
Thanks everyone for your responses, I am trying to get a vet over here which is not easy where I live, in the meantime I will keep feeding her shell almonds (She loves them) and spoon feeding peanut butter mix with apple sauce and baby cereal at night, along with the pellets, fruits and vegetables.
any other ideas or sugestion will be welcome.

Thanks in advance!!
Deus slave

#26934 - 07/16/02 07:10 PM Re: Strawberries  
LindaK Offline
Lives Here
LindaK  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Hello Deus: Whereabouts in France are you? There are Avian Vets in the UK, the Canary Islands, Germany. These countries are all around you, seeing that each Country is no bigger than one of our Provinces. Like Ivan said: Ask any of your regular Vets to locate an Avian Vet, via his contacts. You need to have the underlying problem addressed. Try contacting Loro Parque in Teneriffe, they might be able to help. There is a Branch of the World Parrot Trust in France e mail is france@worldparrottrust.org Try that, if not I have a name and Tel Nr. for the world parrot trust in France.
Good Luck.
Good Luck. wink

#26935 - 07/19/02 01:47 PM Re: Strawberries  
deus Offline
deus  Offline

France
Hello everyone and thank you for your responses I already contacted the french world parrot, and we are waiting for their reply.
I will keep you posted of what happen, I am located in Corsica, France to answer your question.

Dueus thank you also!!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny