Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26917 - 07/11/02 11:28 PM Teflon Cooking Question  
Maluka Offline
Maluka  Offline

Southern California
I have a question and any input would be appreciated. I have read that cooking with teflon kills birds. I have "also" read that you can cook with teflon if your bird in not in the kitchen and you are making sure that you are supervising your meal so as not to forget it on the stove and have the teflon get burned. My avian vet told me that it's the burning of the teflon when someone forgets they are cooking that sends of the poisonous oder that can kill birds. What is your opinion on this??? Does it make a difference if your house is well ventilated and you are supervising your cooking, or should you not take any chances at all ??? Thanks for you input !!!!

#26918 - 07/12/02 12:37 AM Re: Teflon Cooking Question  
LindaK Offline
Lives Here
LindaK  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Originally it was claimed that only at a certain temperature would change
the teflon`s chemical components to toxic fumes. In the meantime the claim is that this happens as soon as Teflon is used for cooking. I know of an incident where the cooking was done in the basement and 2 African Greys on the 1st floor died from the fumes. My personal opinion is, why use Teflon at all? It isn`t good for people either and it scratches, it is a cheap cookware to begin with. Use 3-ply stainless steel, that is safe and lasts a lifetime.
PS: Teflon, or any such cookware changes its chemical composition and causes flu like symptoms in people.
LindaK

#26919 - 07/12/02 01:05 AM Re: Teflon Cooking Question  
Marla Offline
Marla  Offline

Alaska
Hi,Teflon is also used in self cleaning ovens,hair dryers,heaters and other appliences.My step daughter lost her M2 to a self cleaning oven-the bird was upstairs(door was closed and window open)It is best just not to use teflon coated objects.I recently purchased a self cleaning oven that states in the manual it is toxic to birds-I clean it by hand.The only safe method of using teflon is not using teflon.

#26920 - 07/12/02 04:06 AM Re: Teflon Cooking Question  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
I have always used Teflon in my kitchen. Here's why:

1. I have an industrial type range hood. This thing could suck the air out of Texas.

2. I am in the kitchen when using it. I do not go outside...nor talk to my neighbors nor use the phone in another room. I'm right there every minute.

Having said that, I would not recommend the use of Teflon by most people. All it takes is one tiny mistake to possibly kill your birds.

As far as Ovens: Has anyone actually seen Teflon in an oven? If I'm not mistaken, I believe the self cleaning temps are much too hot for Teflon to handle. What I HAVE heard is the fumes from both burned foods AND spray cleaner (many people use oven cleaner and then use the self cleaning feature also) is very dangerous. By the way Marla... Does is ACTUALLY state in your manual that the fumes are toxic to birds?? Does it mention any other animals? Does it state what is toxic?? I'd love to have a scan of that sentence or paragraph. Who makes your range?

#26921 - 07/12/02 03:38 PM Re: Teflon Cooking Question  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
If used at low temperatures it "might" be all right. But what about when a guest comes over and uses your pans. They may not be aware of the danger. The best thing is to get rid of all dangers in the home. The easiest is to replace your pans. I suggest that you replace your Teflon pans with stainless steel.

#26922 - 07/12/02 04:54 PM Re: Teflon Cooking Question  
LindaK Offline
Lives Here
LindaK  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
A very good website on all types of cookware is the following:
http://www.rwood.com/Questions/a_feb_2000.htm
this does mention the toxicity to parakeets among other things.

#26923 - 07/12/02 05:35 PM Re: Teflon Cooking Question  
Marla Offline
Marla  Offline

Alaska
Hi Jerry,Here is what the manual states " The health of some birds is extremly sensitive to the fumes given off during the self cleaning cycle of this range.Move birds to another well ventilated room" When I read that I called the manufacture and aked some questions-The oven coating is teflon impregnated it is toxic to small animals,birds.The serice rep recommened not using the self clean cycle as I live in a one floor cabin.He even recommened leaving the house during cleaning.The range is a GE model # JBP 30.Hope this helps Marla

#26924 - 07/13/02 02:21 AM Re: Teflon Cooking Question  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
I am impressed!! laugh

The very fact that our plight has finally interested a major manufacturer enough to mention this danger to parrots is wonderful! Most companies still only mention dangers to dogs & cats etc. NOW we're getting somewhere!

I'm going to get a copy of that manual and use it on the site somehow. smile

In the meantime:

Quote:
guest comes over and uses your pans.
hahaha... I can see why you posted that to most people. However, in my case I have few guests and those I do, know better than to touch anything in my house without asking me first. ( Can you say Virgo?) wink

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny