Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26869 - 05/13/02 01:49 AM Red Vented 'too not eating  
hermanclan Offline
hermanclan  Offline

NJ
I rescued a Red Vented Coctatoo from a licensed rescue group. He is eating the parrot chow my vet recommended. He does not seem to be gaining weight. Any suggestions?

Barbara

#26870 - 05/13/02 02:06 AM Re: Red Vented 'too not eating  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Wow...a red-vented too! I've only ever seen one before...the Filipino birds are so interesting, though.

First, what kind of parrot chow is your bird eating? How long have you had him/her? What was he/she eating BEFORE you got him? What else are you feeding your too besides the pelleted food? How underweight is your bird? Have there been tests done to identify any other health problems that could cause underweight? IS the bird underweight? If you have other birds, are you quarantining this bird from them to prevent a possible spread of disease?

Ok...that's enough of the barrage of questions <G>

Honestly, we need much more info about him/her in order to help you better.

Jeanne
back from vacation, in a tent, for 4 days, in a 39 degree monsoon. Happiness is relative! I'm warm!

#26871 - 05/13/02 02:20 AM Re: Red Vented 'too not eating  
happybirds Offline
Lives Here
happybirds  Offline
Lives Here

My first two questions would be how long have you had the bird, and second, how long was the bird at the Rescue?
If the bird was in the Resuce for a while, contact them and see what they were feeding and go back to that until you can transition the bird over slowly to other foods.
I feed Roudybush and Mazuri (fed in zoos). They get fresh veggies (except avacado & onions) daily. I sprout for them also (sproutpeople.com)They get fresh fruit daily also. In the evening, they get frozen mixed veggies and brown rice for dinner most of the time, but there are spaghetti dinners or pizza on occassion.
Basically the birds get whatever I eat including chicken and eggs. The only foods I do not feed are avacado, onion and caffine (all very bad)
They get: broccoli brussel sprouts sweet potatoes green beans, zuchinni, yellow squash, celery, radishes, peppers, green & red & yellow peppers, grapes, banana, apple, pear, orange. They love fresh corn on the cob!
Also, I would recommend you find an avian vet to care for your bird. It sounds like your vet has put him on Monkey Chow (Parrot Chow) To locate a vet in your area, go to www.birdsnway.com/birds/vets.htm
I believe I noticed that you posted from NJ. There is a bird club called South Jersey Bird Club. Their web page is : http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/sjbc/

Good luck and keep us posted. smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny