Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26816 - 04/24/02 05:28 AM Recipe for the WHOLE family !  
Zoe LSC2 Offline
Zoe LSC2  Offline

Montana as of March '04
This is a HOT dinner for the whole family. Not only is it hot as in temperature but also it can be spicy eek for those of us who enjoy spicy and lessened for those who do not.

I made this for myself and then what happens? Yup you guessed it --- Here comes ZOE! :p

It can be prepared in as little as 15 minutes!
It is LOW FAT ! (good for my hips and thighs and our birds too!)

Here the recipe:

Ingredients:

Vegtable Cooking Spray
1 C uncooked Rice *Instant*
2/3 C Diced Green pepper
1 C Chopped Onion
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt (you may want to omit)
14 1/2 oz. Whole tomatoes (1 Can) undrained and chopped
5 1/2 oz. tomato juice (1 can)

Directions:

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium- high heat until hot. (SEE NOTE AT BOTTOM OF MESSAGE!!!)
Add rice, onion, bell pepper, and saute 5 mintues.

Add remaining ingredients; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

DINNER TIME!! YUM YUM!

OK NOW -- all this being said -- I would like to first say...

1) I got this recipe off the web at Quick and Easy Recipes... So I am giving them credit for the recipe and thus these are their directions...

2) DON"T use NON stick cookware -- teflon kills birds!

3) I use Hot Mustard eek (a powder found on the spice aile in the grocery store) and use this at 3/4 teaspoon instead of per directions.

4) I use Diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of the whole tomatoes.

5) I don't use salt for the birds... and I probably shouldn't for me either...

This is quick, easy, simple, and the ingredients always seem to be in our house... wink

Also for those of you who like a little meat in your dinner and want this not as a side dish to something else -- I add a package of the precooked & Precut up chicken from Louis Rich. I get the southwest style and nuke it for 2 mins on high and then add once the rice is finished.

6) Always remember to feed your birds at room temp food and be sure to check for hot spots!

Sara and Zoe

#26817 - 04/24/02 08:20 PM Re: Recipe for the WHOLE family !  
Melinda Offline
Melinda  Offline

Thanks for sharing this, Sara. smile

To make it even healthier, how about using whole grain brown rice? It has more flavor and texture than white rice, too. smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny