Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26804 - 03/14/02 09:49 PM WHICH is which?  
Arline Offline
Arline  Offline

S.E. Washington
How do I figure out what's the best food for my U2? So far I've been feeding her what her previous owner fed her but she only eats about half of it.

Went into Petsmart today and was bowled over by the choices. Humph! Back to what I've been giving her until I get some **experience** advice!

#26805 - 03/14/02 10:24 PM Re: WHICH is which?  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Have a look at the following web link

Mytoos Food Page

#26806 - 03/15/02 12:53 AM Re: WHICH is which?  
Arline Offline
Arline  Offline

S.E. Washington
WAHOOOOO!!!! Thanks a million!

I guess EVERYONE had to start where I'm at, huh? frown Oh well, I'm a quick learner!

Thanks again!
laugh
A

#26807 - 03/15/02 07:08 PM Re: WHICH is which?  
cockatoostreet.com Offline
cockatoostreet.com  Offline

Utah
Our Avian Vet recommends a variety of as many things as possible. Seeds, pellets, fruit, veggies, meat, eggs. Healthy people food (high protein, low sodium, low sugar, low fat) is good for birds too. They need lots of Vit A, so dark green and orange colored veggies are really good for them. Our birds absolute favorite treat is steamed yam chunks with a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon, served warm.

#26808 - 03/19/02 09:05 PM Re: WHICH is which?  
Peter Offline
Peter  Offline

Victoria, BC, Canada
This is the 7 layer salad that I got from the Companion Parrot Quarterly magazine. it is great because you make it once a week and it gets your bird foraging for food which is a natural instinct.

The first layer is salad greens. I like to use things like kale, spinach, parsley, cilantro...etc

The second layer is things like rutabaga, jimica, sweet potato, yam, etc

The third layer is broccoli and grated carrot

the fourth layer is pasta. You can change the pasta to different things to peak their interest

the fifth layer is soaked and cooked beans. I just buy an assortment of beans. My bean concoction is flax seed, split green beans, yellow beans, lima beans, lentils and barley. If you want you can also use a 13bean soup mix. This is great because it is dry so it lasts forever.

The sixth layer is fruit. Try to use citrus fruit because it acidifies the salad and helps to keep it longer. I use things such as grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, lime, lemon, apples (different kinds) etc.

The top layer is frozen veggies. I use mixed veggies because the girls are corn junkies. That is the first thing that they will go for if they could. The frozen veggies instantly freeze dry the salad so that it lasts longer.

If you follow this recipie, the salad lasts for 7 days unmixed or for 4 days after you mix it up. Layered salads last longer and with this recipie the salad does not go bad. It hot weather it would just shrivel up. This is a very dry salad so that also helps to keep it longer.

Our girls love this and only eat about 20 percent seed in their diet. Jazz could eat just this and be happy. I find that Sophie requires a bit more seed to keep her shreaking under control. This is full of nutrients and vitamins and it lets them forage.

Thanks to the companion parrot quarterly, I have happy and healthy parrots...

Miriam

#26809 - 03/19/02 09:06 PM Re: WHICH is which?  
Peter Offline
Peter  Offline

Victoria, BC, Canada
I forgot to add that the girls also eat off of our plates...what's yours is mine...
laugh Miriam

#26810 - 03/21/02 07:24 AM Re: WHICH is which?  
Miriam Offline
Miriam  Offline

Victoria, BC, Canada
Just got back from a visit to our avian Vet.

Discussed the cockatoo salad and general diet that I posted here, she gives it a "two thumbs up" rating.

Told us that "that just about covers everything" as long as they eat the salad, and not just throw it around (or at the cat like they sometimes do).

Peter

#26811 - 03/21/02 04:10 PM Re: WHICH is which?  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
It's a pretty well known fact that 'Toos are picky eaters. There is a reason for this: In the wild, different things bloom and arrive at different times. This is why the food your 'Too will gulp down today may be snubbed tomorrow or next week. These snubbed foods ocasionally get thrown out (as any 'Too owner can testify as they clean it up) This is also why you must always offer several foods at a time, and also try to make a mental note of exactly what your bird ate today and this week. Just because your bird hates something thats good for him, doesnt mean it shouldnt be offerd over time. It also means that many many foods should be offered, because just like us... 'Toos get tired of the same meals every day. Yep.. planning a menu is the price good owners pay for having the pleasure of their company. Of course, if the bird starts out wrong (on an all seed diet for instance) this is like cocaine, and is very difficult to stop sometimes.

The main thing is to remember that variety is the key, and always offer things good for them, whether they'll eat it this week or not.

Hey... no one ever wink said they "eat like birds"!

#26812 - 04/13/02 07:20 PM Re: WHICH is which?  
Zoe LSC2 Offline
Zoe LSC2  Offline

Montana as of March '04
Hi every one,

:rolleyes: This is my first posting so I hope this goes well.

I also make the birdy salad that you speak of and found it in the same place. For those of you who like this salad but don't have as many birds this is what I do. laugh

I get together with a good friend of mine -- Debi and her bird Rico (m2) and we make this salad. Because of the way food is packaged in our area (and probably yours too) we find it more cost efficient to buy for the 2 birds each week and then rotate weeks. (I buy and make one week she does the next week).

This way there isn't any left over food that spoils and is wasted. wink

If I can --- I will do my best to post the LINK that has this recipe from the original writter of the article in Companion Parrot Quarterly (formerly the pet bird report).

Here goes nothin' cool

birdy salad

http://www.featherpicking.com/Layered_Salad.htm

Good luck!

Sara and Zoe

#26813 - 04/17/02 12:08 AM Re: WHICH is which?  
lizzy Offline
lizzy  Offline

Daytona,Florida
Hi
It really depends on what you mean, Do you want something that u2 likes thats good for him or whats he likes but he can have in small peices. Most Cockatoos like Bread soaked in milk it is a good source of calcium and its yummy plus its cheap and you can get it eny were. Good luck laugh

#26814 - 04/17/02 01:26 AM Re: WHICH is which?  
Gitti Offline
Gitti  Offline

Germany
Bread with Milk???????
Be carefully, sorry, but I'm not able to explain, why!
But I know to be very carefully with bread and even more with milk!

Regards
Gitti from Germany (with "alien" English :-)
#26815 - 04/17/02 05:57 AM Re: WHICH is which?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think what gitti is trying to say is parrots do not digest milk and milk products very well. Also, bread may be filling but not very nutritious, dampening the bird's hunger for more nutritious veggies and fruits. Is this what you feed the parrots you breed *cockatoo*?

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny