Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 56 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26543 - 04/13/07 11:01 PM Australian members in South Australia  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Please be aware that the fires and droughts since 2005 have nearly decimated the already low populations of the Yellow-tailed Black cockatoo. The government is asking for all residents and birders on holiday please report any sightings in the state to the state Environment Department. This is a final, last scramble for these birds and all help is requested.

Eyre Peninsula cockatoos near extinction

Calyptorhynchus funereus

#26544 - 04/14/07 12:16 PM Re: Australian members in South Australia  
Rocky From Oz Offline
Rocky From Oz  Offline

South Australia
Sorry, quite long ...
I grew up on Eyre Peninsula and still have a house in a coastal town on EP that I visit regularly.
I have concerns about how our State departments have handled the survival of these cockatoos ... even before the bushfires and the drought.
You see, for years the birds have used non-native Aleppo pines as a food source. There has been a push in recent years to eradicate Eyre Peninsula of the pine trees because they are a declared pest, yet the gums the cockatoos prefer were gradually reducing because of bushland being cleared to create more space for cropping.
The cockatoos, it seems, are the only ones to suffer from the removal of the trees, which were originally planted as wind-breaks but really did spread quite badly. Nothing likes to grow beneath an Aleppo and if it wasn't for the birds I would agree with their eradication.
Several years ago my mother went to the local newspaper (at which I used to work) in an attempt to raise awareness about the need to look at the impact of removing the Aleppos, but the reaction was pretty much that she was a batty older lady who didn't know what she was on about.
On a positive note, I recall a school group providing nest boxes as a substitute for the nesting hollows that were destroyed by the fires.

On another subject, I found a photo I took a couple of years ago of a flock of major mitchell cockatoos taking a drink at an old farm trough. It's not the best, but some members might like to look at it if I can remember how to post pics.

~ Mrs Max & Rocky ~
#26545 - 04/14/07 12:31 PM Re: Australian members in South Australia  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Hmmmm..... A government not owning up? Hard to imagine! Regardless, man has screwed up and another species pays for it. Thank you for that update and clarification.

I would love to see your picture. Try to post it and if you have problems, we will try to guide you through the process. smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny