Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 75 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261437 - 06/09/19 03:53 PM Is this normal??  
Jamesleg Offline
Jamesleg  Offline

our newly adopted cockatoo is 16 years old very lovable and gentle but she loves to rest with her wings away from her body all the time I never see her Tuck Wings fully up against your body..there's no injuries she can flap her wings in has flown down to the chair a few times... can fully extend her wings no pain perfect wings, she just seems very comfortable having her Wings open the only other bird I've ever seen do this as an owl...is this normal ??? Again she is very happy and plays alot, just curious....

#261438 - 06/09/19 05:35 PM Re: Is this normal?? [Re: Jamesleg]  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Is it hot were you are? She may be trying to stay cool.

#261439 - 06/09/19 05:53 PM Re: Is this normal?? [Re: Jamesleg]  
Jamesleg Offline
Jamesleg  Offline

It is warm but house has central air..the only time like I said I've seen this before is with an owl the only thing I can think of is the previous owner raised her from an egg and let her sleep in a box at the bottom of her cage for 16 plus years since coming to our home she is not prefer the box because she actually gets attention and is out in the open and sees us moving around and the stimulated perhaps is she is used to sleeping on the ground as she did in her box which would explain why she would have her wings down the way they are as if she was walking on the ground like I see cockatoos doing videos.. I was also told by the previous owner that she has laid eggs every year including right up to two weeks before we got her he had just taken the eggs away a week before we adopted her so she was molting her feathers are coming in nicely just not sure never had a bird that had laid eggs before...

Last edited by Jamesleg; 06/09/19 06:03 PM.
#261442 - 06/10/19 05:47 PM Re: Is this normal?? [Re: Jamesleg]  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
She likely created a nest in the box and is partly why she laid eggs. Our cockatoo sleeps with her wings against her body. The way yours sleeps may not be "normal" but is probably not something to worry about. Maybe someone else in the forum can answer that. If you don't get an answer her maybe call an avian vert.

#261444 - 06/11/19 11:39 AM Re: Is this normal?? [Re: Jamesleg]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
How long have you had her now? Considering that the previous owner removed the eggs one week prior to you taking her in I would do as Michael suggested and bring her in to see a vet. It may just be habit for her but it would concern me enough that I would want to be sure she doesn't have another egg. Cassie my 15 year old hen sleeps with her wings down only when sitting on eggs. Then she looks like she is trying to keep the eggs protected. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny