Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 94 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261428 - 06/06/19 11:15 PM Help with a harness  
Dan65 Offline
Dan65  Offline

Two years ago, my wife and I inherited her mother’s citron crested cockatoo. We were they only child willing to take on Sunshine and did so mostly out of fear my wife’s sister would just turn her loose outside. So far, she does very well and has bonded strongly with me. We will spend a few hours together daily that she enjoys. We camp and the bird travels well in a smaller cage until we get the camper parked and move her back. As much time as we spend outside, I would love to have a harness for her so she can be with us. We have stopped having her wings clipped as I like for her to be able to return to her cage if something startles her which she does from time to time but that is the only time she flies. I am certain from reading other post on here that she would enjoy spending time outside with me but want her to be safe. I have looked at harnesses and leashes and wonder if any brand or style is better than the others. I am prepared to spent the necessary time introducing and training her with the harness and would love to hear your experiences with different styles. Thanks in advance and as a new reader, I have enjoyed browsing all the posts. I just haven’t seen this question answered yet.

#261429 - 06/08/19 11:10 AM Re: Help with a harness [Re: Dan65]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
There are a number of harness types available now from the older Aviator Harnesses to the newer leather and cloth harnesses. There are videos on youtube showing how most of these harness are put on the bird. Having an older bird may make it a bit more difficult but worth the try. I attempted to train my girl and did get to the point of getting the harness on her. I screwed up by trying to move too fast with her. She is now terrified of the harness and I paid with a few good bites.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny