Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 75 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261381 - 03/13/19 01:32 AM New Cockatoo Mommy and Daddy, wow what a ride  
Gregory Offline
Gregory  Offline

Hello
My wife and I recently bought a cockatoo from an owner. , with the following caveats, he bites and is pulling feathers.My wife has always wanted a 'too, but we rapidly discovered we were vastly under prepared. My wife was bitten repeatedly(we have learned some birdie body language). We were told Keke enjoys cuddles, and he did the first 24 hours. We decided we would educate ourselves to provide the best life for our new feathered child. A Pinterest search for cockatoo behavior found this site. We started with a visit to an avian vet, which turned out to be good information, and eventually a DNA result which tells us the gender of our new baby(a boy).
In spite of the screaming(which we have learned is mostly normal), and the biting(which we are trying to discourage and/or avoid), we are searching books and online to become the best bird parents we can be. We have ZERO intention of allowing Keke to father parrots, we arent equipped to responsibly breed parrots. Keke is kept in a suitable cage, and we are working toward having him interact outside the cage as we build trust(both his and ours). My wife wants to be Keke's "person", but we understand that choice is ultimately the birds'
We welcome constructive advice, and seek to educate ourselves to best provide for our bird

Thanks

#261382 - 03/13/19 11:47 AM Re: New Cockatoo Mommy and Daddy, wow what a ride [Re: Gregory]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome. Review the behavior section in the Cockatoo forum here to get a better handle on reading body language, diet, behavior and just about everything else you will need to be familiar with. One of the biggest mistakes folks make when they bring in a new bird to the house and keep them in a busy spot in the house. Being in the mainstream during the day is great but in the evenings it's the worst spot to be. Ensure that your new charge is getting 12 hours of dark quiet rest every night. This means having the bird in a quiet spare room where there is no noise from a TV or conversation. Many people use sleep cages at night, a small cage that easily accommodates the bird, bowls for food and water and little else.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny