Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261366 - 02/20/19 10:00 PM Cookies passing  
laughingbrah Offline
laughingbrah  Offline

This morning we lost our forever toddler, Cookie. When my wife wanted to take Cookie from her brother, in 2009, I was very wary. All the websites I went to made it sound Cockatoos were easy to take care of. It wasn't til I came to mytoos did I get a full picture of what we would be in for. With everything I read we made the decision to take Cookie in. When she first came home she bonded with my wife but she wanted nothing to do with me. All she wanted to do was bite me. Because of what I read online, I would give Cookie here space but when she was in her cage I would sit on the floor at the door of the cage and just talk to her. It took about 3 to 4 months before she finally came to me.
Every once in a while she would just bite me. I don't think she like men because she never bit our daughters. One of the things I did was preen her which I learned here. I would do all the new feathers she couldn't reach. My wife wouldn't do it, not that she couldn't, but this way I had my time with Cookie. As time went by she was bonded with me. Another thing is Cookie only ate dinner with me. She would sit on my shoulder and her favorite was breakfast burritos which we would share.
My wife is retired so she spent a great amount of time with Cookie. One of the things my wife did was take Cookie in the shower with her. Cookie always would get wet. Something our child would never do with me. My wife also taught Cookie songs and also help her grow her vocabulary. People couldn't believe Cookie could answer them.
We considered Cookie our daughter and our bilogical daughters treated her like a sister. There is alot of things Cookie learned and so much we learned from Cookie. As she grew so did we. We are going to miss our forever toddler. She made our life that much better. For me it took a few bites from her intimidating beak, lol.
Anyone who would ask us about getting a bird, I tell them do your homework, it is a big responsibility. I want to thank mytoo.com because you made me understand what a big commitment it was, and yes, I would do it all over again, no regrets because it was worth it.
Thank you again mytoo.
From Cookie's Dad and Mom.

#261367 - 02/21/19 01:49 AM Re: Cookies passing [Re: laughingbrah]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm so very, very sorry for your loss. Cookie was so lucky to land with your family for her final 8 years. I think she will be waiting for her family at the Rainbow Bridge for each of you to welcome you in. (((Hugs))) to all of you during this difficult time.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261368 - 02/21/19 07:53 PM Re: Cookies passing [Re: BE2Cassie]  
laughingbrah Offline
laughingbrah  Offline

Thank you for the kind words. Cookie was one of the best things to come to come into our life. She made our lives that much better.

#261369 - 02/22/19 06:41 AM Re: Cookies passing [Re: laughingbrah]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I’m very sorry for your loss!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#261370 - 02/23/19 07:40 PM Re: Cookies passing [Re: laughingbrah]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
My deepest condolences. We are here for you. Hugs!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#261371 - 02/24/19 03:41 AM Re: Cookies passing [Re: laughingbrah]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Obviously you were able to take your relationship with Cookie to the next level. Something most are incapable of doing. It is truly a unique experience when you are able to understand a Cockatoo. So sorry for your loss.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny