Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#101280 - 12/12/02 02:48 AM Better off dead?  
Randa Offline
Randa  Offline

Due to the failure of bird OWNERS to properly quarantine their pets and breeders, birds are being diagnosed with deadly avain diseases that are not always fatal to the carrier. Some are carriers of diseases that are fatal even if the birds are not present. Rehoming is impractical. I know of a Polyoma positive Cockatoo whose owners who did not FULLY understand WHY their bird was supposed to stay in a one bird home. After all, the bird LOOKED fine. Given the incredible lifespans of these animals, I believe that all birds who are carriers of contagious disease should be immediately euthanized. It is a harsh opinion on a sad topic, but I would like to know what other bird owners have to say.

#101281 - 12/12/02 03:28 AM Re: Better off dead?  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Interesting theory.

Most people would feel that they could never kill a healthy looking bird no matter what it had because they would "see to it" that the bird never came in contact with any other bird. But "good intentions" can kill many birds in the long run too cant they?

I personally would have to agree with your opinion on this... the question is...could I do it....

#101282 - 12/12/02 03:29 AM Re: Better off dead?  
happybirds Offline
Lives Here
happybirds  Offline
Lives Here

Randa - I certainly can understand why you would feel that way however,I pose this question to you.

If Grandpa had a contageous, fatal disease would you euthanize him?

The way I look at my birds is that they are knowing and understanding creatures. Thank goodness they are healthy, and I feverently hope that none of them ever contracts or is exposed to any disease which would shorten their lives.

I believe that there should be a sanctuary that takes these birds so that they can live their lives in peace and contentment until their disease reaches the point where it is only humane to put them to sleep to ease their suffering. If there is no sanctuary, then I believe they should be placed in a 1 bird home, and the owners should be provided with a clear understanding of the birds condition, its future medical needs and what they can expect.

I know that there are many unscupulous people out there who would sell a sick bird thus exposing other birds, and I am sure that is why you feel they should be euthanized - but my heart just can't. I guess there really isn't an easy answer to the problem. There are many people who have terminally ill birds who know and understand, and keep and love their birds until the time is right. They don't expose other birds, and don't breed them. They keep the disease confined to just that bird.

Let me ask you this Randa - could you do it to one of your birds? Somehow I don't think I could and yes, I know it would ultimately cost me my entire flock, however, if one had a disease, then my entire flock would have been exposed anyway.

#101283 - 12/12/02 03:41 AM Re: Better off dead?  
Randa Offline
Randa  Offline

Yes, I could. Loving my bird does not give me the right to chance killing other peoples birds. And Pachecos, for example, is that virulent.

#101284 - 12/12/02 04:50 AM Re: Better off dead?  
Colin Hatcher Offline
Colin Hatcher  Offline

Bay Area, CA
My view on euthanasia is the same for Toos as for humans. I do not agree with it unless the bird is terminal and in pain, and thus that it is a mercy to free it from a life of continuing suffering. I also believe that no one has the right to decide to kill a bird except the person who loves and cares for it.

In families of human beings, when a spouse is close to death but cannot choose for the life support machine to be turned off, the spouses loved one makes a decision based on love and concern for that person (I know this for a fact: my sister had to make this decision for her husband 2 years ago).

In like manner a bird. It cannot choose to be euthanised and then express that need to its human friends. Thus when a bird is very sick and terminal, and is in pain, it is appropriate for those who love and care for it to make a decision.

However, when the decisions about euthanasia are taken away from those who love and care for the terminal patient (i.e. the family), and handed over to scientists, doctors, the government, vets, other people, etc, then I consider that immoral.

regards
Colin

#101285 - 12/12/02 06:21 AM Re: Better off dead?  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
I believe that all birds who are carriers of contagious disease should be immediately euthanized.
Im just glad you cant make that decision for all of us,Randa, because you dont have the right. I disagree with you and for all the reasons I see have already been listed.

#101286 - 12/12/02 08:09 AM Re: Better off dead?  
Eva Offline
Eva  Offline

Australia
I also disagree with Randa.
It is a decision for every owner to make on their own individual situations. If my birds were in extreme pain & suffering - I would want to end their misery. If they were only carrying a disease that would still give them some quality of life - I couldn't do it.
OT but have you read Diana's letter on Jerrys site?
Very sad, brought tears to my eyes & it is something to consider as a possibility if you do not have an excellent avian vet. frown

Eva.. smile

#101287 - 12/13/02 03:33 AM Re: Better off dead?  
Ron Pack Offline
Lives Here
Ron Pack  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
I don't care to express an opinion on this but,

What's the chances of mis-diagnosis or computer/human error when testing for diseases? It happens in hospitals fairly often.

Here's what worries me. Supposing a bird is deemed infectious and contagious. You have the bird euthanized, only to find out a new treatment or cure has been found.

Or worse yet, your vet calls after the fact and says "sorry, we made a terrible mistake".

This would be a hard thing to deal with and I feel sorry for anyone that has to make the final decission. frown

#101288 - 12/13/02 05:35 PM Re: Better off dead?  
msbee Offline
msbee  Offline

This is a tough topic. Could I euthanize one of my beloved pets because of a potentially deadly illness....NO...not unless the bird was in pain.

I feel this decision should be left up to the pet owner and not to vets etc. I have personal experience with this type of situation and that is why I feel so strongly about it.

Its kind of off topic but here goes. I have a severely splay legged dove. He was rescued from a petshop and Ive had him for six months. He is not in any pain and can actually get around pretty good. I even made a wheel chair for him. But I am having the toughest time finding ANY vet who will treat him...say if he gets sick etc...because everyone Ive been to thinks he should be euthanized. They deny him medical treatment because of his condition. Is it fair? I dont think so. He should be treated as any pet would....he deserves that much. He has a wonderful little personality and is the sweetest little bird.

Its a shame that people are so quick to make such an irreversible decision. Life is so much more precious than that.

#101289 - 12/13/02 08:52 PM Re: Better off dead?  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Msbee,
Yes.. I am in complete agreement with you. Anyone who refuses treatment to a "crippled" bird should be ashamed & has no right to call themselves a "Doctor". Are handicapped people refused treatment?? I know personally of a bird whose back was broken (deliberately) Luckily he is NOT in pain but 99% of people would "put him out of his misery" well, he is NOT miserable & with time & lots of love & reassurance he has come back full speed ahead, if somewhat akward. He bombs around his flight like a demon! So, I'm with you!! Contagious disease is another matter entirely, unforunately many people are either unwilling,unethical or just plain uninformed. I can understand WHY randa would voice this opinion, but personally I could not do it.

Liisa B

#101290 - 12/14/02 05:19 PM Re: Better off dead?  
msbee Offline
msbee  Offline

Hi I can certainly understand her concerns. My point...although I probably went the long way around trying to explain it LOL....is that the decision to euthanize an animal should be left solely up to the owner. My vets are trying to "force" me to euthanize my dove...by not providing adequate care for him. I cannot tell you how extremely sad and helpless that it makes me feel. Its the most horrible thing Ive been through because I feel I am not doing the right thing.

There shouldnt be some "mandatory" law that these bird who are ill should be euthanized. My GOD people...that is giving up our rights..and we all should know that our rights are limited as it is. The government doesnt need to take away more of them.

#261333 - 01/18/19 01:27 PM Re: Better off dead? [Re: Randa]  
oliscot Offline
oliscot  Offline

Queensland, Australia
I struggle with the idea of euthansing a healthy animal just because it has a contagious disease if that disease can be prevented from spreading by isolating it (provided its quality of life isn't to badly impacted from being issolated from other members of it's kind.) If I was in that situation I'd be making sure that bird either ended up in a decent sanctuary that was able to provide issolation (if they exist) or handed down to someone who had the basic common sense to see that the bird MUSTNT EVER be exposed to other birds. Failing those two options I hope I would euthanize for the sake of all other birds as that would be ethical sensible thing to do!

Last edited by oliscot; 01/18/19 01:34 PM.
#261334 - 01/19/19 01:01 PM Re: Better off dead? [Re: Randa]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
This question has become even more difficult over the past 17 years since this was first posted in 02. Many diseases now veterinarians are required to report to USDA as well as DPH. I'm not sure which if any of the highly contagious parrot illnesses are required. It's easy to say that we would keep our bird away from all other birds, but how realistic is this? A trip to the vet exposes any other bird coming in to the clinic. What happens to the bird when you pass on, will those responsible for the bird know?

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261335 - 01/19/19 10:30 PM Re: Better off dead? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
It is particularly bad in Georgia because of the chicken industry. Our vet, pet stores, dealers, etc. are required to keep a list with addresses of birds that come to their facility or are sold, etc. If a bird comes down with a bad contagious disease in any of these places, then the law allows your bird (if exposed to the disease) to be seized and destroyed to protect the chicken industry. Scary but true. Chicken industry is big here.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, Charlie, EchosMom, Janny