Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 38 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261286 - 10/18/18 01:57 AM I can't train my husband!  
Trixieb Offline
Trixieb  Offline

Escondido, CA
I have a Goffin's Cockatoo I purchased in March of this year. He really wasn't tame but enjoyed being pet through the cage bars. I slowly started letting him have time outside his cage and he got better, but I was frankly afraid to handle him because he had bitten us before. I hired a trainer to come help me with him and he actually took to being handled pretty quickly. I was able to start taking him off the cage and petting him, etc. My 16 year old daughter is also able to handle him with out trouble. I do have to be careful and watch his body language,he is still very afraid of a lot of things. The one thing that scares him the most is my husband. I have tried and tried to give my husband advise on how to be calm around Andy, the bird. My husband's voice really scares him and my husband tends to be very animinated when he talks. Andy was getting better with him for a while. My husband gave him his favorite treats every day and even had Andy on his arm once. Unfortunately there was an incident when I wasn't home where Andy got excited and fell off his cage, my husband tried to pick him up and take him back but my guess he was a little erratic when he did it and Andy bit him hard on the finger. Ever since then Andy won't have anything to do with him. It's really tearing up the family. My husband thinks having the trainer back to help him will solve the problem, but I'm not so sure. My husband doesn't want to seem to modify any of his behaviors to help the bird. He thinks we can spend $100 and "fix" the problem, If it does't work he wants be to get rid of the bird. I don't know what to do.

Andy's Slave.
#261287 - 10/18/18 11:25 AM Re: I can't train my husband! [Re: Trixieb]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
At this point bring in the trainer. If the trainer can't make your husband understand what needs to be done then it may be better for Andy to find a loving home. It may not be your husbands fault at all. If Andy has a past history with a male that he is frightened of it could be causing his fear.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261288 - 10/19/18 09:07 PM Re: I can't train my husband! [Re: Trixieb]  
Trixieb Offline
Trixieb  Offline

Escondido, CA
Thanks for the response. I wish I knew more about his past. I am hopeful, I really like this bird. I don't want to give up on him yet.

Andy's Slave.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny