Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261282 - 10/14/18 04:28 PM New Yellow Crested Cockatoo  
dtacmed Offline
dtacmed  Offline

I just got a 3 year old yellow Crested he is very friendly to me but does not like my wife or adult daughter. He has made no attempt to be aggressive or attempt to bite me. He wants to be out of his cage and on my shoulder constantly. I’m not letting him on the floor because he chases my wife. How much should I handle him. I’ve only had him 3 days. Just want to make sure I start off right for all of us any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated Thank You !

#261285 - 10/15/18 11:05 AM Re: New Yellow Crested Cockatoo [Re: dtacmed]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Hi bringing a bird into a home can be a huge challenge but one it sounds like you are ready for. Your wife and daughter need to start making friends with him. What's his name by the way? My suggestion would be to find out what his favorite treat is, even if it is something in his every day diet. Once you determine what it is put it aside and pull from the diet. Start off with the bird in the cage and your wife can bring him one treat and sit and talk with him. Maybe sing a song, see if he likes to dance. While this is going on you need to be out of the room completely. Even better would be if she does this while you are not home. Your daughter can start doing it too. Only your daughter and wife can give him the special treat. You can not give the treat or the idea is not going to work. The bird needs to see them as having value in the flock.Once the bird is doing well taking treats from them they can let him out of the cage while they are in the room. Again you can not be there in the room. The bird needs to think that you are not home, so go in and say goodbye and act like you are going out. Go to another section of the house so that you are available if needed in an emergency. Birds are notorious toe biters, have no idea why. I have heard different thoughts but not anything that has struck me as probable. Sometimes they don't chase feet if the person has shoes on. Keeping him off the floor is a great thing to do. He is at an age where he is going to be very active. You will need to set up play areas for him if he is going to be out. Does he fly? If so play areas in different areas of the house that he has access to.
Also you do not know this bird after 3 days he should not be on your shoulder. Birds need to earn the right to sit on shoulders and you need to learn your birds body language. You need to know his stink eye, when he's upset, angry, scared etc.. If he's on your shoulder you can't see him. He may not have shown any signs of aggression yet or fear yet or been startled yet but he will. Even the little toos can cause a severe bite and one to the face can be disfiguring or potentially blinding. The bigger the too, the bigger the bite. There are only certain times of the year that I allow my bird on my shoulder and now is not one of them. During hormone season she is too unpredictable and has the potential to lash out. We avoid the situation and Cassie is redirected to her boing or to doing some playtime activities.
Over the next few months you will see a lot of changes in personality. You have taken in this bird at the hardest time of the year, hormone season. He's young at 3 yrs but you will begin to see the behaviors. When a bird first moves into a home they are in the honeymoon period. During this time you will slowly begin to see the real personality come forward. Hold on tight it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny