Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 68 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261260 - 09/15/18 11:18 AM Best stimulation  
Thetooismykid Offline
Thetooismykid  Offline

Hi, I have already wrote a list down of many toys, ranging from shreding, knawing, foraging and throwing and picking and three perches. I have a few outside play toys but want to get the cage right as I want her stimulated when I'm not playing with her. I know getting as used to as many things from the start is good.

Is there any toys that worked very well with your toos? These are for toys in the cage.
What would you say the minimum play hours outside the cage you set aside are? (I will always aim higher, but this is as a guideline).

Last edited by Thetooismykid; 09/15/18 11:19 AM.
#261261 - 09/15/18 07:47 PM Re: Best stimulation [Re: Thetooismykid]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Sounds like your off to a good. Good toys are whatever they will play with. Toos need to see things destroyed so not overly durable toys are needed. Our Too hasn’t touched a “toy” in years. Now give her a new phone book and she will be busy for days. Same with sheet cardboard on bottom of play stand. That might not last an afternoon here. Just don’t use anything that could be even remotely viewed as a nesting box. I just make sure the cardboard is not from China with unknown chemicals in glue and paper. I’m assuming US material is ok as we’ve been using it for years.

As far as out of cage play time I’d have to say whatever works for you. Our Too is usually out of her cage from 8 AM in morning to 10 PM or later at night. So she can play, nap, or just make noise as she wants to. Far from what is recommended but it works for us and she had earned this privilege of being free this amount of time. She does get locked down for the night though for her own safety.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#261263 - 09/16/18 12:30 PM Re: Best stimulation [Re: Thetooismykid]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
One really valuable item for inside the cage I have found are forage feeders. Cassie now gets almost all of her pellets in puzzle feeders, so she has to work for her food. She has three different forage puzzles in her cage so she really has to want the pellet. It's cut way down on the waste of pellets too. They make back your money in no time at all with the savings. Her veggies are on skewers or in the bowl. Lots of cardboard is used in our house too and books. Tissue paper from gifts I stash along with food boxes. Paper lunch bags, coffee filters, muffin papers, new lollipop sticks all come in handy to occupy her mind.
Out of cage time is similar to Chucki. Cassie gets let out of the cage in the morning and only goes in if I need to leave the house. She goes to bed at 8pm and stays in until around 9 am. We push for 12-14 hours of quiet sleep per night because she lays eggs every year and we keep hoping that this year will be the year of no eggs.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261264 - 09/16/18 03:21 PM Re: Best stimulation [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Thetooismykid Offline
Thetooismykid  Offline

Normal items as toys seem great. I don't think I want the top out all day,I would worry about her get into something or destroying something that could hurt her.

#261265 - 09/16/18 06:33 PM Re: Best stimulation [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Thetooismykid Offline
Thetooismykid  Offline

Originally Posted by BE2Cassie
One really valuable item for inside the cage I have found are forage feeders. Cassie now gets almost all of her pellets in puzzle feeders, so she has to work for her food. She has three different forage puzzles in her cage so she really has to want the pellet. It's cut way down on the waste of pellets too. They make back your money in no time at all with the savings. Her veggies are on skewers or in the bowl. Lots of cardboard is used in our house too and books. Tissue paper from gifts I stash along with food boxes. Paper lunch bags, coffee filters, muffin papers, new lollipop sticks all come in handy to occupy her mind.
Out of cage time is similar to Chucki. Cassie gets let out of the cage in the morning and only goes in if I need to leave the house. She goes to bed at 8pm and stays in until around 9 am. We push for 12-14 hours of quiet sleep per night because she lays eggs every year and we keep hoping that this year will be the year of no eggs.

That sounds good - i 'll get up and changed and get the food ready and then keep her out until work for example then keep her out until bedtime when I get back.

#261267 - 09/17/18 12:48 AM Re: Best stimulation [Re: Thetooismykid]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Be sure to have a food and water station available for her outside of the cage if you are going to close off the cage to her.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261270 - 09/17/18 11:53 AM Re: Best stimulation [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Thetooismykid Offline
Thetooismykid  Offline

Originally Posted by BE2Cassie
Be sure to have a food and water station available for her outside of the cage if you are going to close off the cage to her.

The play stand has holders for good and water, if she needs something she can go back to stand then continue her playful destruction. I don't think I need a t stand, they don't use it. But at least this has holders and I can put it near where I am.

Last edited by Thetooismykid; 09/17/18 11:53 AM.
#261271 - 09/17/18 01:20 PM Re: Best stimulation [Re: Thetooismykid]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Keep in mind that a too very rarely sits still for any great length of time. They are on the go and into everything. You may want to have a place for her to perch in each room. I have a smaller cage on a stand with wheels. I can move it around the house for her. She eats her dinner in it at the table with the family each night. She is lacking in the table manners department feeling free to just dig right in to anyone's plate. Being in the cage allows her to remain in the kitchen with us but prevents anger at the table for those that do not wish foot prints in their mashed potatoes!!

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny