Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261252 - 09/04/18 05:32 AM Asuna's update  
Malida&Matt Offline
Malida&Matt  Offline

Hi all,

It's been awhile since we've posted but things are going pretty well! We've just been focusing on Asuna and enjoying our birds so my apologies for not being as active on here.

Asuna is doing great! She doesn't scream for hours on end anymore, she talks pretty frequently now. Favorite sayings are "im a prertt girl" and "ohhhhhh!" She still dislikes me... yep. But she tolerates me around Matt and when he is not around she is very friendly and sweet with me so i will take that. Lol

Her feathers have grown in and she's not plucking anymore. Although we do watch her closely to make sure she's not over preening again. She is foraging more thankfully! For a bit, she was not interested in foraging at all. She would use those toys in a mating way instead.

She still doesn't like veggies. But we're persisting. Our other birds have taken to eating fruits & veggies a little more easily.

She did ,however, lay eggs. Since February i think she has laid a total of 4. The last one she laid was about a week ago? She doesnt seen interested in the egg once she lays it. I'm not sure if shes just very hormonal in general, as we try not to encourage her. This last time from last egg to this one she literally would just sit on matts shoulder. No panting or touching in the no no areas and yet she still laid an egg...😕 But we have been watching her weight carefully and so far she has gained a few grams, we make sure shes got plenty of food and watch her (especially after shes laid an egg) to make sure shes ok. I always turn into a little nervous wreck after she lays and pretty much have the vet ready to be dialed. Matt gets a little annoyed because im always like "did she eat enough,hows she doing"

I've read too many impacted crop and egg binding stuff that i tend to become a worrg wart sometimes. Lol
But anyways......

She likes to hop on the bed, play with matt, and she runs around everywhere. Oh yea, shes a ninja ankle biter. Shes gotten me twice out of no where. But again, shes only mean to me when matts around so still working on that.

She has met her grandma and pizza delivery people! She hates grandma more than me and has no feelings toward the pizza people.

November will be officially a year that we have had her ❤

Thats it for now! Thanks agai for all your advices!!

#261255 - 09/04/18 12:13 PM Re: Asuna's update [Re: Malida&Matt]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
It's great that she has settled in so well with you. The fact that she now tolerates you when Matt is home is a huge step. Have you had her followed by the vet for the eggs? Also do you leave the eggs in the cage so she can clutch out or sit on them if she wants? Removing the eggs promotes additional egg laying in some instances. Cassie laid 6 eggs last year over the course of a couple of months. She depleted her calcium and needed to get injections of calcium every 3 days for three or four weeks. Scared the heck out of us. We brought her in and had levels done two weeks ago in preparation for hormones this fall. Good luck and keep us updated.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261257 - 09/05/18 03:06 AM Re: Asuna's update [Re: Malida&Matt]  
Malida&Matt Offline
Malida&Matt  Offline

Hi BE2Cassie,

We haven't had the chance yet to book a follow up, will be soon tho! She is about an hour drive from us so we're going to make it a multi-bird visit since we some urinary issues with our GCC Pina & the vet had told us to monitor his weight and get him eating more veggies and whatnot. Yes, we have been leaving the eggs when she lays until she doesn't seem to be interested in them at all (this newest egg is still sitting in the cage).

Oh dear! I'll have to check with her vet about doing her levels and blood work for sure! I can't believe its already nearing fall & their hormonal season again. 😳😩 I hope this time its a little less stressful for us and Asuna because last year we got her just about at the start and had no idea how intense it was going to be, then again maybe our experience was more stressful because of the feather plucking and poor diet and one person bird issues. Lol

Will definitely get you an update!

#261258 - 09/05/18 12:44 PM Re: Asuna's update [Re: Malida&Matt]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Good luck!
GCCs are one of my favorite littles! They can be a bugger getting them switched over to veggies. Have you tried chop mixed with cooked brown rice? I had some success with that for some of the littles.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny