Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261214 - 07/29/18 11:56 AM Hanging toys to foot toys  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
My RB2s either like a hanging toy or they don't. Over the years I have tried different things like rotating toys, switching toys between the bird's cages, combining toys together, etc. You would think that certain types of toys that they like would be the kind they would like next time....but that is not always the case.

So, unwanted hanging toys are now taken apart and become foot toys.....which they do play with. The pieces of wood from the toys are put into an empty small Puffs box (with the top cellophane and glue part pulled off) for each bird to have its own box of foot toys. I am sure that others have picked up on this and I am not alone, but thought I would post for others that are maybe just new at this. When the birds are out of their cages we round up the pieces and put into the box for them to take out again later. We go through many Puffs boxes when they get poopy and chewed and scrape poopies off the wood pieces as needed. They seem to have fun picking them up and moving them around the cage. Sometimes they even put them in the food dishes or water dishes and play little boats. This gives them another activity and helps keep them from getting bored. grin

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#261215 - 07/31/18 11:29 AM Re: Hanging toys to foot toys [Re: RB2sMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I used to have a sand pail that I hung in Cassie's cage for foot toys. I filled it like you do the puff boxes with pieces of old toys. She stopped paying it attention a few years ago I will have to try hanging it in the cage again. Lately she has been on a binge of foraging toys and skewers. Pretty much every thing else is forgotten about while she works to get the pellets out of the puzzles and shredding all the veggies on the skewers. Good post it gives me a kick in the behind to change things up with her again and pull all the old toys out.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261216 - 07/31/18 11:50 AM Re: Hanging toys to foot toys [Re: BE2Cassie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Nancy, I have noticed that sometimes my RB2s quit playing with their toy box. Then I take it out for a week or two and then put it back in...and presto they are interested again.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#261217 - 08/01/18 11:52 AM Re: Hanging toys to foot toys [Re: RB2sMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I've seen that with Cassie too. I can get her a replacement toy exactly the same as the one destroyed and she will completely ignore it. Take it out for while and put it in again in a different spot and she loves it again. I get this with her foraging puzzles too. She'll be great using them and then doesn't touch them.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny