Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 55 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261201 - 07/17/18 02:58 AM Turtle the bird  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
On Sunday we lost our beloved Red-lored Amazon named Turtle. We adopted Turtle 4-5 years ago to replace our Blue headed Pionus that had passed away a few months earlier. While we didn’t care for the name we didn’t try to change it.

Our daughter had adopted a Cockatiel from a rescue in Michigan so we decided to go and see what the rescue had. The rescue had birds from Parakeets thru Macaws but nothing caught our eye and nothing made any attempt to adopt us. So we didn’t bring anyone home. Our avian vet is also the vet for the rescue. Our vet called one evening about a week later and asked if we saw the little Amazon there. We said we did but it really didn’t catch our eye. She advised if we wanted a really sweet bird we should go back and take a second look at the Amazon. She also said the bird had a couple issues but mostly the bird was older and people don’t like older birds and she had been in the rescue for more than a year. So we made arrangements to go back and take a second look.

The lady that operates the rescue advised Turtle was previously owned by a couple college students who had bought her at a garage sale but didn’t know what to do with her when they graduated so that’s how she ended up in the rescue. She further advised her age is unknown but could be 30 or more years old. Her medical issues were a arthritic right foot and heart condition that was treatable with meds. She also said Turtle doesn’t bite, doesn’t vocalize much and not loud when she does. She can’t fly and isn’t real active. She also needed help eating because she can’t use her foot. You need to place her in a shallow pan with her food so she can easily get to it. So my wife and I talked about her briefly and I put my finger out and she climbed up. I said to her okay let’s go home.

So, as soon as we got her home, she bit the crap out of my finger and continued to do until the end. Doesn’t bite huh? I quickly learned she was more than willing to bite if you were trying to get her to do something she didn’t want to do. Although the rest happened over a period of time she proved the rescue lady wrong on every count. She could and would sit on her bad foot and eat out of a normal bird food bowls and would eat just about anything that was presented to her. She could fly 6-8 feet from her cage. Just enough to help her go exploring. She did vocalize especially when arguing with our M2 Chucki and she wouldn’t be outdone. They could make our ears ring when they really got wound up. She also climbed all over her cage and would hang off the cage door by one foot trying to figure out how to get down and do more exploring. She also did have a small vocabulary. One of which was “hellooo RAT FACE” as she would affectionately call my wife. Another favorite for when she got caught doing something she shouldn’t have been doing was “hellooo WHAT.” She also had the prettiest song almost like a wild bird when she was happy.

Another thing the rescue said was Turtle didn’t like was being handeled. Boy was that wrong she loved her scritching time and sitting with dad. One of her favorite things to do was sniff and snort in my ear and then take my glasses off. After she was done entertaining herself she would often cuddle up on her bad foot and take a nap on my shoulder.

Turtle also loved to go places. All I would have to do was show her car carrier to her, put it near her cage and she would practically run across her cage and jump in the carrier.

Four weeks ago we took her to the vet because she wasn’t eating. She had a bacterial infection so the vet provided antibiotics. Turtle immediately started getting better and continued to do so. But after 3 weeks she started not eating again and was extremely lethargic.

Last Friday we took her back and this time an infection in lower digestive tract. We thought she was getting a little better as she was eating a little on her own again. Late Saturday afternoon I took her outside to sit under the trees at our lake house like I would often do. We sat there for quite some time, with me looking at her feathers with the dozens of shades of green shining in the sun and her listening to the wild birds and closely eyeing ones that landed in her yard. For some reason I had one of my premonitions, that I too often get, that this would be the last time we would do this so we stayed outside a much longer time. That evening we gave her the necessary meds and put her to bed. About 4am my wife got up to go the bathroom. In the dark, Turtle sang one of Turtles pretty songs and everything was quiet again something she had never done before. I got up about 7am and found Turtle’s cold and stiff body. My wife thinks Turtle was saying goodbye and thanks for taking care of me with her song.

Today we took Turtle back to the vet so we can have her remains. The vet wanted to do an abbreviated necropsy as she feels Turtle’s heart simply failed. As our one daughter said Turtle could have been 50 years old you just don’t know. She went on to say you probably gave her the best part of her life so you should feel good about that.

In her brief time with us, that ball of multicolored green, black, red,and blue feathers gave us far more than we could have ever given her. She was such a character that could never be repeated. If our vet had not suggested a second look we would have missed being part of her life. Plus we found out the little things are far important than big things. She left a huge hole in our hearts and we already miss her vocalizations. Even with our M2 it sure is quiet here.

One has to wonder when she gets to Heaven’s Gate is it going to be helloo WHAT or hellooo RAT FACE

Fly free our little friend.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#261202 - 07/17/18 12:41 PM Re: Turtle the bird [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Mark I'm so very sorry. I was going to say that Turtle was so fortunate landing in your loving family but somehow after reading I'm thinking your family were also the lucky ones. My sympathies to all of you.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261203 - 07/18/18 03:21 AM Re: Turtle the bird [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Thank you Nancy

Our vet called late this afternoon and spoke with my wife. She had the results of the necropsy. She advised she had found the heart enlarged, lungs filled with fibroids, fibroids pressing on outside of lungs, and mottled spots on the liver which are often cancerous. She also said the condition of the internal organs were indicative of a seriously old bird far older than even she imagined. So Turtle simply passed from old age. The vet said you guys gave Turtle a great life in her last years and were her angles. That was nice to hear but I was as happy to learn that her end wasn’t caused by something we neglected to see.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#261204 - 07/18/18 08:06 AM Re: Turtle the bird [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Oh Mark! I am so very sorry to learn of this. Having watched Bo & Tattoo both come out of their shells I agree that you made Turtle very happy and comfortable. Those were truly wonderful years for Turtle. She left this world with a song in her heart and love in her home. Hugs to you and your family...

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#261205 - 07/18/18 12:26 PM Re: Turtle the bird [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'm glad that you got closure on her passing. I think it helps to know that you gave her a wonderful final life and missed nothing.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261206 - 07/21/18 07:38 PM Re: Turtle the bird [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
I am so sorry to hear about this. You have to be relieved to know there was nothing you could have done or neglected to do. I have always seemed to blame myself for one of our bird or reptile passing since I have a medical background, but like you I find out later that there was nothing that I or the vet could have done. Sounds like she was a great part of your family and will be dearly missed.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#261207 - 07/24/18 12:28 PM Re: Turtle the bird [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Thank you to all for your thoughts and encouragement. We’ve had birds close to 25 years but for some reason the loss of this one has been most difficult.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#261213 - 07/28/18 07:34 PM Re: Turtle the bird [Re: Chucki's Dad]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I’m very sorry!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny