Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 31 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261189 - 06/15/18 09:42 PM Training tips and advice??  
hawkeygirl5151 Offline
hawkeygirl5151  Offline

SW Washington
Hi all, about a month ago I adopted 17 year old precious a Goffins Too (was told she was 4 when I got her) any way i want to start doing some basic training stuff with her, would it be more beneficial to go the clicker training route or would there be a better more bonding way?? she has definitely already been trained in the past I just dont think she had been worked with for quite a while though. so best training method and any tips where to start?? she already steps up form inside her cage and most times when out of her cage.
Also best way to keep her from jumping onto shoulders??
Thanks in advance

#261191 - 06/16/18 01:13 AM Re: Training tips and advice?? [Re: hawkeygirl5151]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Clicker training is an excellent technique so long as you have a plan. Many folks begin with target training but are unsure where to go from there. What I would do is decide just what you want her to do. Break it down into doable steps. Start with the first piece of the task to train. When I was first taught how to do a task analysis breaking down a training task into steps it was tying shoes. Same format for humans and birds. What do you want to train the bird to do? Do you want to train for veterinary procedures or simple things like nail trims or do you want to train for fun play times? The thing to keep in mind also is the clicker is only a bridge from the targeted behavior to the reward. I'm not really coordinated enough to handle a clicker, treat and hand signals. I did it when I worked in the zoos. At home with my girl I have chosen not to use the clicker but have used the reward as my bridge. Shoulders is a tough one. There are some birds that do well with where or how you hold your arm making the route to your shoulder a bit difficult and then there are those that just fly to your shoulder. My girl is a flyer. After so many years with her I have been able to learn her body language so know when to allow a shoulder perch and those times that the boing is a better perch for her.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny