Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261173 - 06/07/18 06:11 PM Goffins Behavior Changes  
Cori Offline
Cori  Offline

Modesto, CA
Hello everyone. Help. We rescued a 14year??? old male (confirmed by DNA testing) Goffins who lost his original owner suddenly and self-mutliated in his grief until the family finally surrendered him to a vet 9 months ago for surgery and rehoming. He was placed in an exotic bird resuce in a hard collar for 6 months and we fostered him and eventually adopted Cloudy.

Cloudy was an angel of course for the first 2 months :-). We changed his diet to veggies and pellets (we found the recipe here actually) and raw almonds, peanuts for treats.

We are using Avicalm and Featheriffic combined daily as Cloudy is molting (pin and blood feathers everywhere) in hopes to keep plucking at bay. We removed collar Day 2 so so far, so good.

Recently, in the last week or so, Cloudy has begun to bite. First time it was a problem was when I asked him to step up from counter when getting his breakfast ready. He grabbed my finger HARD and of course I went to shake him off and he grabbed harder and drew blood. I was able to wrap my arm in a towel and get him back on his cage and serve breakfast with not TOO much expression (yeah right it hurt!!!).

Today Cloudy was having his morning cuddles with head petting and just randomly bit me. Not sure if I got a blood feather and it bothered him or not. He was also somewhat excited as he was bobbing and vocalizing Hi Cloud and Tada after and when he bit, he stared at me to see my reaction which was nothing. I stared back. I then put him back on his cage and told him Hi Cloudy, and when he responded gave him a treat. He then took the treat and lunged at me from inside the cage as I simply went to shut the door and lock it. I was not inside the cage at all.

Not sure where this behavior came from except as he continues to settle in, and molt, he is grumpier maybe?

FYI, he sleeps in a sleeping cage (for the past 2 weeks) in 12-13 hours of darkness each night.

He still shakes at times with uncertainty I believe.

I no longer allow shoulder time either after reading here.

My problem is now I am feeling nervous and I am sure he knows that.

How can I work with him on value during this time, to get him to step up so that I have more confidence?

#261175 - 06/08/18 08:06 PM Re: Goffins Behavior Changes [Re: Cori]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
First, I want to thank you for taking him on! Many times a new bird will start to see what they can get away with after they start feeling safe and comfortable.

Yes, you should avoid any drama response because cockatoos do live for it! For the time being, it is important that you do not allow yourself to be in any position that can result in you being bitten.Try to start transporting him with a stick if at all possible. You should find plenty of posts about stck training and biting and how members have dealt with it.

He shakes with uncertainty? If he is feeling more comfortable in your home, he may be exhibiting hormonal behavior. Do a search for this and make sure not to do any full body petting as it can exascerbate the problem.
The hormones are deminishing in our household right now but with optimal living conditions they can flare up.

You should get more useful responses. I see you are reading and that will serve you well! There is a wealth of information here. Again, thanks and welcome to Mytoos!

#261176 - 06/09/18 12:31 AM Re: Goffins Behavior Changes [Re: Cori]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Sounds like my girl has moved in with you. This time of year with the molt if I hit a pin feather it will result in a shriek and a quick bite. Very grumpy time of year for sure. We have learned that once in the cage fingers belong on the outside and if we get too close she will lunge at the cage bars. We ignore this behavior. Doesn't seem to lessen at all during the year. Welcome to Mytoos.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261180 - 06/10/18 05:47 AM Re: Goffins Behavior Changes [Re: Charlie]  
Cori Offline
Cori  Offline

Modesto, CA
Ahhh thanks for the encouragement!

I started some positive reinforcement behavior with Cloudy and stepping up and using a stick. Going well so far!!!! About 15-20 minutes a day with treat rewards.

#261182 - 06/11/18 02:24 AM Re: Goffins Behavior Changes [Re: Cori]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Awesome!

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny