Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#261166 - 06/06/18 11:57 AM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Hannah our RB2 had an injury that she picked at last year. Our vet tried everything but she still kept picking and bleeding when we brought her home. It was hard to restrain her to give her meds to her as well and take care of her at home; it was almost impossible for us to redress the wound that was in her knee area. She would not wear a cone and went ballistic.

So they suggested and we totally agreed to board her at the vet hospital area, so they could treat her wound on her knee, restrain her, med her, feed her, etc. Often they had to redress the leg several times a day. So, she was in good hands getting all the care she needed without us worrying about giving her the care she needed. This was only needed for about 5 days; she made good friends with one of the vet techs and bit everyone else (that is our Hannah). When she came home, she was healed enough that she did not pick, nor have any more problems.

Boarding her at the Vet's was a good decision for this type of thing, as their experience had her healed in a matter of days without further complications, and might be a good alternative for you if they do that type of thing at your Vet's.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#261167 - 06/06/18 02:49 PM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Dewey's Slave Offline
Dewey's Slave  Offline

Colorado
Almond butter is her favorite thing and only worked once but I'll find the coconut topping you mention. She loves both carrot and mixed fruit juice but isn't interested in either at the moment. Great info on Clavamox! It tastes disgusting to me but I'll offer it straight up to see what she does. She looks much better this morning...good attitude, no more bleeding and a little less poofy smile.

I also realized last night that she is picking up on my stress so have switched my tone away from anxiety and started singing to her which I haven't done since all this started.

#261168 - 06/07/18 01:05 AM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
They do pick up on our emotions for sure. The coconut topping that I have is call "So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Topping" http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/thr...S3a3A2wIVFInICh14XACkEAAYASAAEgInJvD_BwE

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261169 - 06/07/18 04:46 AM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Dewey's Slave Offline
Dewey's Slave  Offline

Colorado
Heh heh... I made the trek to the health food store and got the So Delicious, plus real whipped cream in a can, and many different yogurts variously made from almonds, coconut, cashews and soy. Oh, and real and plant-based cream cheese. She liked the coconut yogurt and the real cream cheese until I added the Baytril. *Sigh*. So I got about half of the Baytril into her with a syringe (didn't even attempt the Clavamox) and she got a little more mixed in almond butter. She is so much smarter than I am!

She was chipper all day...still poofy but no more bleeding. Great appetite and went to bed with a full crop. She's a trooper and I have to think that her vet is amazing as well.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep my slender figure with all that whipped cream, yogurt and cream cheese to eat!

#261170 - 06/07/18 05:15 AM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Dewey's Slave Offline
Dewey's Slave  Offline

Colorado
Oh dear, I somehow missed Susanne's post yesterday and never answered the question regarding her activity level.

The vet who did her surgery felt strongly that she would recover better at home rather than in the presence of barking dogs and strange people. I can certainly see how boarding was essential in your case!

As for keeping her from too much activity...he said that Dewey would be fine moving normally around the cage, but I do wonder if this exacerbated anything. Keeping her quietly occupied helps...like taking her outside on my arm for slow walks where she can get some sun and take things in (I live in a remote area where cars and unexpected surprises aren't an issue).

#261171 - 06/07/18 12:01 PM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
What would she do if you put the meds in a teaspoon mixed in with a treat? I put a tiny bit of the whipped topping on the spoon and mix some of the meds in to it then top it with a tiny bit of topping on top to try to mask the flavor.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261172 - 06/07/18 05:29 PM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Nemo22 Offline
Nemo22  Offline

Monterey CA
When my Nadia (U2) had to take Baytril,I had success adding it to her beloved Chamomile tea.She prefers it with honey and lactose free milk.Since itโ€™s already liquid,a dose mixed with a tiny spoonful made the medicine go down!
Keep up the great work with Dewey.๐Ÿ‘Œ

#261174 - 06/08/18 03:16 AM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Dewey's Slave Offline
Dewey's Slave  Offline

Colorado
Dewey continues to do well...still poofy at her surgical site but she's alert and eating great.

BE2Cassie may have missed my #261169 post...had a comedic adventure trying myriad ways of hiding the Baytril before giving up and getting a little into (and onto) her the hard way. Tonight, however, she DID go for the whipped cream!!! smile

Tried Nemo22's chammomile but Dewey turned up her beak. I'll try it again tomorrow.

Spoke with the vet today. He feels that if I can't successfully hide the meds, it would be better to stop them than to wrestle with Dewey or bring her back to the clinic unless she's in distress because her psychological well-being is essential. He gave me his cell number and the tech gave me hers just in case. Tonight's success gives me hope that we might be able to keep going with the antibiotic.

I promise that if we get through this, I'll make it my job to become proficient at restraining her or getting meds into her without drama wink.

Thanks again for your great suggestions and support.

#261178 - 06/09/18 04:36 PM Re: Egg Binding [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Dewey's Slave Offline
Dewey's Slave  Offline

Colorado
Dewey screamed last night and was talkative this morning for the first time since this ordeal began! She wouldn't touch any more meds yesterday but did get 7 days worth and I feel like she's might be out of the woods. Still vigilent, but allowing myself some relief.

I have posted a link to a video of Dewey in the photo/video forum so you can meet her...it will make you laugh.

Thank you all for all you do!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny