Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 60 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261072 - 03/18/18 03:06 PM Adopting a U2 - Am I Making a Mistake?  
Sunday Offline
Sunday  Offline

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but not new to birds. I own a B&G macaw and three African Grey parrots. On Thursday, I'm likely going to be adopting an estimated 8 year old Umbrella Cockatoo. Her current owner has had her for two years, and she has never been vetted in that time, so I will be taking her directly from the adopter's house to the veterinary clinic for a physical and for disease testing. If she doesn't test as having anything contagious she will be going home with me, otherwise I will be taking her back to her current owner along with her exam results.

I've met the bird once so far. She was timid when I first walked into the house, but after I sat on the floor for a few minutes she warmed up quite a bit, climbing down from her cage to nudge her head under my leg. She allowed head scratches and let me preen her pin feathers, something that she hasn't let her current owner do. After a few minutes she started head bobbing for me, so I stopped paying her active attention while I talked to the owner. After a bit she climbed back onto her cage. Later, she stepped up onto my arm from the cage and sat with me on the couch, allowing and asking for head scratches again. By the time I had to leave and put her back, she looked like she was about to fall asleep, and had her happy feathers up. She likes me, I like her, and I feel like she would be a good fit.

I've never owned a cockatoo, and had never even held a large cockatoo before meeting this U2. I had been playing with the idea of getting a cockatoo for a while, but didn't think about it seriously until this U2 popped up on my radar. Now I'm smitten, but at the same time I'm just a little bit worried after all of the horror stories I've heard. I do work from home, and need at least a couple of hours of relative quiet (literally just two hours would do, and they don't even have to be consecutive) every day to do my work. Even with all of the birds and dogs I have already, my home is a relatively quiet one until someone drives up the driveway or I walk out of the room without bringing the birds with me. I don't mind a bit of screaming during the morning and evening, or when something exciting is happening, but when I hear stories about cockatoos screaming ALL DAY, I know that might be an issue for me if it was something the bird did long-term (though the current owner does say she's not particularly noisy for a 'too). The U2 will be caged in my home office along with the greys, so she will still have plenty of interaction during these times that I am working, even if she's too mischievous to be out while I'm actively paying attention to my work and not to her.

I'm also a bit wary of being bit. One of my greys is a habitual biter, but I'm used to him and he generally isn't serious about it, and my macaw has never drawn blood on me, and generally only nips me when I've left her in her cage for longer than she thinks I should have, but cockatoo beaks just look so much worse than grey and macaw beaks. I'm sure once it happens I'll be less nervous of it, but I'd really rather not lose body parts to this -- or any -- bird.

I do live in the country, and though I have neighbors right across the street, they didn't even know I had a macaw until they came over a while ago, so sound probably doesn't carry to them very well. I have experience with large parrots and as I said, I work from home, so in many ways I feel that I am an ideal home for a large cockatoo. My birds are generally out whenever I am home and awake, besides the occasional "break" in their cage while I'm doing something with the dogs, or am doing something else that they shouldn't participate in. That's not to say that I never leave the house, because of course I do, but there are many days that I don't and generally if I do go out, it's after dark. I do go away for dog related events a couple of days at a time, a few times a year, and I have a family member stay to watch the birds and the dogs that get left behind. It hasn't been an issue so far with my current birds, but I'm not sure how a cockatoo would handle something like that.

I guess I'm just asking for opinions before I get this bird. What am I getting myself into? Are they really so much more difficult than other birds? Is anything I said a major red flag to you knowledgeable folk? Thank you, and I'll keep an eye on this post to answer any questions as they come up.

#261076 - 03/19/18 10:15 AM Re: Adopting a U2 - Am I Making a Mistake? [Re: Sunday]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome Sunday and flock to Mytoos. I had to laugh when you said that you were fearful of the bite. I bird sit and fear the bite of a B&G! I think you are right and it's about the unknown and once it happens it's no longer quite as scary.
Cockatoos can be loud but in most cases it's in the morning and again in the evenings. If they are noisy during the day most can be worked with to train more acceptable vocalizations. The toos are all about being part of the action and being accepted. They love to please or maybe better put they love to be the center of positive attention. I would think if you live with greys that you won't have a problem with a too. I find the greys to be more annoying with their vocalizations when they are bored or haven't gotten their own way. I live in a New England Lake community. Most of the homes here were built as summer cottages and are on top of each other. I literally have 4 homes less than 100 feet from mine and another 10 within 200 feet. I board the big toos, macaws, greys and just about every other bird and have only had one bird that I got complaints about an M2. Most days my neighbors do not hear the birds. I keep the windows closed year round, lol.
Are you able to quarantine the too when you first bring her home? Testing for most diseases are going to take a day or two at best to get the results back. Also it's best to keep the birds separated for at least 30 days just to be safe. Not all diseases or sickness will show up in a test, common to get false negatives. This time would also give the birds the opportunity to begin hearing each other and calling to each other. Will the current owner let you take her on a trial basis in case it doesn't work out?

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261078 - 03/19/18 11:41 AM Re: Adopting a U2 - Am I Making a Mistake? [Re: Sunday]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Welcome to Mytoos!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#261093 - 03/30/18 11:56 PM Re: Adopting a U2 - Am I Making a Mistake? [Re: Sunday]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Did you wind up adopting the bird? If so, how are the first few days going?

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny