Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 5 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#260943 - 01/22/18 09:03 PM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
It's been a cloudy, miserable winter here in the valley, and Monty appears to be suffering from the "blahs" really badly this year, and just in general seems depressed (I know I am; she might also be picking up on that). Her appetite was extremely poor (she was barely touching her nutriberries and nuts, her favorite treats), and her energy levels were way down again. Took her to our AV, and Monty was given a few vitamin shots as well as a recommendation for full spectrum lighting. My usual supplier's website is down at the moment, but as soon as it's up I'll order in a FeatherBrite fixture for her and Ben. I'm also debating ordering in some avian probiotics. Can't hurt might help, right?

Monty perked up within 24 hours of the shots and her appetite is about back to normal, but if she starts to backslide again she's going to get her annual work up (wellness, bloodwork, fecal) done early this year. According to my kitchen scale she's holding steady at 420g, though she seems just slightly on the thin side. This time last year she was closer to 440, and her highest weight was a couple years ago at 460. She's exercising a lot more than she used to and has higher overall energy, which may account for the bulk of the weight loss. I'm having a hard time finding a pellet that she'll eat consistently, though she's definitely taking Zupreem (natural, macaw/cockatoo) better than Harrison's. Zupreem has all sorts of flavors and shapes available, so I'll keep experimenting.

Looking forward to warmer weather and some Sun! I know Monty misses our walks as much (and probably more) than I do. Don't worry - the little girl stays in her Pak-o-Bird unless we're inside. smile It's almost warm enough now, as long as her backpack has it's fleece cover on... at least for short trips. That might cheer her up a bit - she hates being cooped up in the house all the time.

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#260944 - 01/23/18 12:36 AM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Have you tried the Lefabers Macaw & Cockatoo Pellets with her? Cassie is picky also and loves those and the Oven Fresh Bite Pellets. Was she low on Vitamin D?

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260954 - 01/25/18 06:12 AM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Low vitamin D is the leading suspicion right now, yes, though we didn't do any bloodwork at the time. Apparenty there have been a lot of birds in the area suffering from low vitamin D. The vitamins definitely picked her back up, in any case!

Monty was eating Lafeber's macaw/cockatoo maintenance pellets a couple years ago, but she went off them. I can definitely try them again! I made the mistake of buying her the slightly smaller Amazon pellets about 5 months ago (they were out of the bigger stuff) and she wouldn't touch it. She can be frustratingly picky about the size, color, and crunch of her pellets!

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#260956 - 01/25/18 12:36 PM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie wont touch the Amazon ones either. My girl is the queen of picky. She doesn't eat what other birds love like grapes, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sweet potato.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260958 - 01/25/18 10:53 PM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Monty's generally a good eater when it comes to her fruits and veggies, thankfully! The only things she won't reliably eat are leafy greens. Pretty much anything else she'll at least pick at, but leafy greens? Nah. She does like to play with them, though, so I've yet to lose hope! She likes orange/yellow/white fruits and veggies best, and amongst those carrots, apples, sweet potatoes, and yams are almost guaranteed hits.

She's just being super fussy with her pellets. I'll pick up some macaw Lafeber's this weekend to try. I also have access to Roudybush samples at work, so I can try that too. I'll find a pellet she's eat one way or another! She's definitely snacking on the Zupreem though, so that's a start.

#261017 - 02/20/18 03:27 AM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
We finally seem to be making headway! Monty's taken to eating Zupreem "Smart Selects" and "Pure Fun", and her weight is slowly increasing. I think she might have been bored with her pellets having uniform shape/color/texture. She's also taken to Pretty Bird's "Birdy Banquet", which I've been using as a base to add chop to, and overall get appetite has been better. Her poor, flakey legs and feet have also improved with the addition of a once a day application of a little bit of raw coconut oil. grin

#261018 - 02/20/18 12:13 PM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
That's great! See the best pellets are the ones they will eat! I need to start putting the oil on Cassie's feet too. They are really getting dry lately with the weather.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#261019 - 02/20/18 01:34 PM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
You never know what they would like until you try it. My RB2s really do not like fruit, but they like the fruit flavored Zupreem pellets over the other kinds they make and other brands of pellets.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#261101 - 04/02/18 06:41 PM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
Monty has gained a solid 15 grams (up to 435!) since changing diets, and her feather condition is steadily improving. She finally doesn't seem so scrawny anymore! Her hormones are a little put of control right now, though, and while she's as awesome with me as she always is she's turned into a bit of an attack bird with anyone else in the house! When she's being difficult but still wants to be around people, I've been putting her in her Pak-o-Bird with the blinds up. At least then she can still be around people and partake in communal meals, with the added benefit of containing her messes. She doesn't seem to mind much (she's much calmer in her carrier), and it opens up the possibility of bringing her with me when I'm visiting less pro-bird family members. I prefer not to leave Monty at a boarding facility if I can get away with it... She never eats properly and is always super anxious and clingy when I get back

Benny got a huge cage upgrade and is doing pretty great! Turns out he is a She, though - their beaks lighten to yellow during breeding season, and males develop blue at the base of their beaks. Benny's is definitely pink. Oh well... "Benjamina" it is then! Unfortunately, she injured her legs bombing from the top of her cage to the bottom without hitting the brakes. She has considerable periosteal swelling on both legs, and has been a little sad and quiet. It's a slow recovery, as it's very difficult to slow her down! We're due to go back for a recheck with the vet soon and see if she needs more Meloxicam/Metacam or if we should try something else. Poor little thing... the breeding hormones are hitting her hard and fast and she's just not all there in the head.

In other news, we're in the middle of moving! The new place has a pretty good set up (studio style), so I'm hoping it'll get the bird stamp of approval. Monty didn't seem to mind when I brought her by to supervise me assembling furniture at any rate!

#261103 - 04/03/18 12:18 AM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Good news for Benny! We love our Pak o bird. Cassie uses a smaller table top cage for eating dinner and traveling. Our bird sitter retired last year. This year Cassie has come on vacation with us. We are in SC right now. We drove straight through leaving at night. Cassie rode in the carrier while sleeping and then switched to the cage so she could see during the day light hours. Worked out great so far. I'm sure that Monty will do awesome with his carrier too. Hope the new digs go well for all of you! Open floor plans are great for the birds, they get to see everything.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny