Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 92 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#260972 - 01/31/18 11:40 AM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I will be looking forward to hearing all about him on the 10th or maybe the 11th. You're going to be very busy on the 10th.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260973 - 01/31/18 01:09 PM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Exciting!!!! Good Bird and Parrot Problem Solver books are worth the read and behavior books are good, even if not specifically geared to parrots. Google articles by Susan Friedman too. She is a PhD and works specifically with children I believe but she is a parrot lover and has written multiple articles that are about parrots. She also has an online course, Living and Learning with Parrots but the wait time is typically 12+ months. The good news is the mechanics of behavior is not species specific.

Last edited by EchosMom; 01/31/18 01:19 PM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#260977 - 02/01/18 10:33 PM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
Nickraph Offline
Nickraph  Offline

Minneapolis
Went to visit again yesterday and ended up with another pretty bad bite. I’m really hoping this is something positive reinforcement can work out of him. While I know biting is a behavior that is used as communication, I’m really starting to wonder what he is trying to say to me that is so intense. What led to the bite was me allowing him out of his cage, I did not allow him in I ally to step up on me. Rather he stood on the door of his cage and seemed very content. He had his lower mandible covered with his feathers while I was scratching his head and imitating feather preening. He just sits there and almost whispers and chatters while I do this. His feathers then went smooth and close to his body and he began to hold his foot out for me to pick him up. I did not but rather opted to keep speaking to him calmly, he then began a few steps at a time to decend the side of his cage and every few steps would stop and hold his foot out for me to allow him to step up. I still did not allow him to do this, however he got almost to the floor and i did not want him to get down and run up the macaw cages all around him so when he held his foot out again I allowed it and he immediately placed his beak on my arm but did not bite. I could however tell one was coming as he was very still and had his beak touching my arm very oddly. I stood up from my crouched position with him on my arm and then boom he nailed me within centimeters from the terrible bite he gave me last time. I’m not sure what he is looking for or wanting, it seems like he wants to be held but as soon as I do, he nails me. It alarmist seems like he is trying to lure me in for a bite pourposly.

I keep getting told by the volunteers at the residue that he did not act like this when he was there the first time and that this behavior began when he was brought back to the rescue after a month or so.

#260978 - 02/01/18 11:45 PM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Is he biting your arm? What I have done in the past with birds that have a tendency to get nervous and bite is to either wear a faux suede jacket or wrap a dish towel around my arm under a sweatshirt. Because this decreases the damage inflicted it gives me increased confidence that the bird picks up on. I also try to be sure that I can pull my hand inside what ever I am wearing. The birds really do pick up on the confidence level reacting in a more positive manner when the handler is confident. I have found this to be more the case with just about all wild animals that I have worked with. And we all know that toos are wild animals.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260981 - 02/02/18 02:30 AM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
Nickraph Offline
Nickraph  Offline

Minneapolis
He was initially biting my arm but I think he realized that does not give him the reaction he's looking for. Initially my thought was "Do NOT allow him to see any reaction if he bites you and if he does, place him calmly back in his cage." Well, he bit me a couple times on my forearm and I did not react, well the second time he bit me there he was chomping down to the point that he broke skin and I did not react again and I think he noticed this and decided he would try another spot and pierced the palm of my hand closed to the thumb and unfortunately I could not help but react to that pretty badly due to the sever pain. The next couple of times I did not allow him out of his cage during my visit but rather gave him treats and scratches through the cage and he seemed sweet as can be. Well fast forward to yesterday, when he bit me yesterday it seemed he knew exactly which location to bite to get a reaction and bit me mere centimeters from the spot on my palm and again pierced it pretty badly.

Something that I do notice that gives me hope is that when he is in his cage and I walk away to see other birds or people he watches me closely everywhere I go and if I get near the door of the place to leave, he begins to yell/scream. The volunteers there say he never yells like that. So I am wondering if he is upset that I keep leaving or hollering out a celebratory scream that I am finally leaving. Any ideas? I understand that I wont really know anything until I get him home, but I also know that if this guy comes home with me that he will be with me for life, so I want to be sure before I make the final commitment. It's been a tough couple of weeks for me in deciding what to do with this guy.

#260982 - 02/02/18 07:29 AM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
Nickraph Offline
Nickraph  Offline

Minneapolis
Hello all -

I have come to the conclusion that I will not be adopting Kokie. I have read and reread this site on and off for years in anticipation of the time in my life when I would have the time to dedicate to a cockatoo. However tonight I came across a thread (see below) that for some reason felt very eye opening, even though I have read hundreds of similar threads. I am honestly not sure why this thread hit home, maybe it was the talk of the "Lightening Strike", maybe it was my innate fear of having my nose removed from my face at even the simplest set back, maybe a combination of both, or none of it. Either way, it doesn't feel "right" to me and I am feeling like it does not feel right to Kokomo based on my 4 wounds. I want to thank both Nancy and Echo's Mom for their valuable advice in both this thread and the thread listed below. I appreciate you both.

Thread: http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=248666&page=1

Don't fret, I will still be adopting a parrot that needs their forever home when it feels right for both myself and the bird, just maybe not a male Moluccan and if it is okay, I'd like to update this thread when I do finally adopt to keep you ladies updated. Thanks again. -Nick

Last edited by Nickraph; 02/02/18 07:30 AM.
#260983 - 02/02/18 11:27 AM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I think you are being very smart with your decision. Thank you so much for trying and understanding that the bird needs to pick. I'm sure that you will find that perfect bird quickly in your future. I look forward to hearing about your visits and finding the right parrot for you.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260984 - 02/02/18 07:22 PM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
Nickraph Offline
Nickraph  Offline

Minneapolis
Thank you Nancy. As luck would have it, one of my husbands long time clients reached out to him to let him know she is needing to rehome her 20 year old CAG. He told her we were looking to adopt a year ago or so and she remembered! Sounds like she is rehoming due to increasing health issues. I’ll be meeting her sometime next week to see if it’s a fit. Thanks again ladies.

#260987 - 02/03/18 01:02 PM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Wow everything happens for a reason! Good luck next week, CAGs are great birds.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260997 - 02/07/18 02:08 AM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
If more people took the time to think things through as you have, I firmly believe that more birds would be in the right home and by that I mean right for the parrot and the human family.

Thanks for linking that old thread...reading through it was a walk down memory lane...seems like yesterday in some ways.

Good luck to you and yours in the future and I’m sure that you will make a wonderful home for the right bird. Take care!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#261010 - 02/13/18 06:22 PM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
Nickraph Offline
Nickraph  Offline

Minneapolis
Thanks for the kind words! I did end up bringing Maxi the CAG home. She has been home 3 days now and is so far a great addition. We are taking it very very slow as she is not use to human interaction. From what I was told by the owner she has only been out of her cage 2-3 times in almost 20 years. I find this very sad but I’m sure she will come around in her own time. Any advise from you lovely ladies would be appreciated even though I know this site is devoted to too’s.

#261011 - 02/14/18 12:40 AM Re: 38 year old M2 - Adoption [Re: Nickraph]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
If you look at the topics in the forums we have a section for all other parrots so in fact we are an equal opportunity parrot assistance group, lol!
I'm so happy that you have brought Maxi home. Greys are a different sort all together. Many don't like human interaction or touch at all while others tolerate and others still seek it out. My only advise for you would be to do exactly as you are, go slow. Does Maxi talk at all? If so try using the words that she says in context with her. Also share food with her, parrot safe of course. Greys love to eat, lol! Offer all of the same activities that we suggest for toos but initially offer it at a distance. Example of singing and dancing do it quietly on the other side of the room and watch her reaction. You just may be surprised on how quickly she picks up on what is going on. Greys are incredibly intelligent, much more so than toos in my opinion. Sorry everyone

Nancy & Cassie BE2
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny