Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260925 - 01/18/18 09:13 PM Accepting Strangers  
darby18 Offline
darby18  Offline

/I have two cockatoos, an Umbrella named Fred and a bare eye named Bandit. Fred is attached to me, and me only, and that is the problem. My mother came to live with me a few years back and she just loves him, always buying him new toys and giving him treats. But he doesn't feel the same way with her, and has bitten her a few times. His bites are not aggressive but as you know even an Umbrella's 'gentle bite' can really hurt.She is good nature about it, and always defends him. He also bit my sister and my niece when they came to visit this Fall. Once again, he did not tear the skin, only slightly bruised it. I want him to accept people better. I have had him for about a year and his last two owners were very good to him. Do you have any ideas of how I can make him more sociable? He also can't stand Bandit. Thank you.

#260932 - 01/19/18 12:55 AM Re: Accepting Strangers [Re: darby18]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Your mother has the right idea by giving him treats. The thing is to find a very special treat that no one else gives him except for her. This will increase her value to him. This means that at no other time or by any other person including you are to give him this special treat.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260935 - 01/19/18 09:32 PM Re: Accepting Strangers [Re: BE2Cassie]  
darby18 Offline
darby18  Offline

Thank you for the tip. I will tell her to do that. He is getting better with her, (at least the biting stopped). Someone told me that the way he socialize his female cockatoo was to put her in the lap of his friends during the first year he had her. I don't know about that one, I don't want anyone to get hurt. I was wondering about getting a really nice travel cage and taking him on trips. I just don't want him to be a one person bird for I don't think that is good for him.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny