Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 83 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260845 - 12/06/17 09:25 PM Leg Picking & Beak Banging  
Lulu's Mom Offline
Lulu's Mom  Offline

Within the last week, Lulu (who is actually a Louie - thanks DNA test!) has begun picking at his left leg, right where his fluffy little leg feathers end. He stands with his leg extended, leans over it and rapidly scrapes this one spot with his lower beak, over and over and over. It's pitiful. The feathers have a little dried blood stain on them from where he has scratched himself raw, or has scraped himself on something. Either way he can’t seem to leave it alone. When I attempt to distract him from doing this to himself he displays and has even lunged at me and banged his beak on his cage. He also does it while he’s perched in my lap or on my leg.
He has a few oddball behaviors like toe licking and even toy licking when he’s tired, but this is disturbing me. He will let me touch his legs and feet, so I’ve cleaned the spot and applied a dab of Neosporin.
Last night he seemed on edge, and he’s been aggressive toward the little dogs and my spouse moreso than usual. I had to intervene when Louie dove off his play spot on the couch and tried to go after the hubs, who was sitting on the other side of the room holding one of our pups. He’s very full of himself lately and refuses to let anyone touch him besides me. Won’t step up for anyone else. Is this a hormonal thing or what? I know that this time of the year is rough for these parrots.
Has been getting his 11 - 12 hours of darkness and sleep, no changes to the environment or diet. I ruled out possible skin irritants from household cleaners - I don’t use them anywhere near the birds, and their covers are washed with an irritant free laundry detergent.

#260846 - 12/06/17 10:54 PM Re: Leg Picking & Beak Banging [Re: Lulu's Mom]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
We had problems with Hannah picking at a place on her leg. It seemed to irritate her, then she would pick at it and we would find blood on the perches. It was not a hormonal thing , just an injury of sorts. We had to board her at the vet for almost a week while he treated her and bandaged and rebandaged her as she would not tolerate a cone. It finally healed and she never picked at it again. They will pick at injuries or irritated areas like we would scratch mosquito bites, etc.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#260847 - 12/07/17 01:41 AM Re: Leg Picking & Beak Banging [Re: Lulu's Mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Didn't you just take him to the vet and had blood work done? Was it the left leg that the vet drew blood from? I would give the vet a call even if to just give a heads up that it seems to be bothering him. Maybe he has a small hematoma.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny