Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260582 - 06/26/17 10:27 PM Adopting a 47 year old SC2  
critibug Offline
critibug  Offline

Edmond. Oklahoma USA
Hello, thank you for this site and it's agenda. The site has been most helpful to me and I'm sure will continue to be. I'll try to make my reason for being here as short as possible. First I must say that I have never been on any type of forum so forgive me if I don't post correctly. Guidance is most welcome. My bird experience consists of an IRN and an English Budgie, both of whom are no longer with me. I love birds but had no plans to ever have another one, and never, ever in my life would I have considered any kind of Cockatoo.. Biggest reasons were that it would outlive me, there are too many being given up for re-homing, and I do not have the time and attention to devote to that kind of needy, emotional, crazy acting kind of bird. Well along comes Archie, a 47 yr old SC2. He has been bounced around within the same family all his life, staying with different family members for yrs at a time.. He was wild caught as an infant. No one in the family wants him anymore. By chance I was connected with his current owner who was going to give him to a rescue. So my family, me, husband, 4 teenagers, want to give him a chance. Yes we work. No we don't have endless hours to spend with him. Now he only gets let out of his cage an hour or 2 per weekend, we will be able to let him out approximately 4-5 hours a day, and take him outside on the weekends. Now he gets little interaction with his family. we will interact. His diet is mostly sunflower seeds, he has never had a bath, or been to a vet. He is a plucker. He lives in an old iron cage that only has vertical bars. We have bought him a new cage. I am scared. I was scared before I read this site with the small amount of knowledge I already had about toos. We have talked extensively about loving him no matter what, and we will. I like the "tell it like it is" aspect of this forum. So please tell me, am I fooling myself that we will give him a better life? We go pick him up on Saturday and despite any reservations, we are very excited to bring him home! Any advice or guidance is much appreciated.

#260584 - 06/27/17 02:19 AM Re: Adopting a 47 year old SC2 [Re: critibug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I say go for it. You are able to offer him more than what he is currently getting. Cassie has lived with me now for 12 years. In the household is my husband and adult son. Cassie is part of the family and treated as such by all of us. I'm lucky in that both my husband and son adore Cassie. Who ever gets home first lets her out. She has learned that we are all her flock with no mates. Her time out of cage over the years has varied but we have always offered her plenty of activities in her cage and the TV on. I'm retired now so she's out of cage most days all day. There are still days that she has to stay in the cage for longer periods due to appointments or life in general. She does fine. Thank you for giving this fellow a chance with you. Somehow I think he's going to find his forever home with you.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260593 - 06/27/17 12:20 PM Re: Adopting a 47 year old SC2 [Re: BE2Cassie]  
critibug Offline
critibug  Offline

Edmond. Oklahoma USA
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I have some questions for you about Cassie and what you have just said about her. I know this is introductions so could you tell me where I go to ask? As I said, I am new to forums and I have read "forum help". General questions?

#260597 - 06/28/17 01:31 AM Re: Adopting a 47 year old SC2 [Re: critibug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
You can ask questions in the Cockatoo forums. Look over the categories to choose what best fits your question.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260751 - 11/05/17 10:28 PM Re: Adopting a 47 year old SC2 [Re: critibug]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Hi thank you for adopting a senior bird. I adopted my moluccan in January 2017 when my macaw died. I never intended to adopt a cockatoo but her owners could not keep him any longer. He is 40 years has mild cataracts but can see OK. He has a fine coat of feathers but a slightly deformed beak which can be corrected by grooming the beak done by my vet. I now work part time so am gone for 3-4 hours a day 3 days a week but when I come home he is out of his cage. Don't get discouraged at first. My bird was wild caught and so the story goes was in a breeding facility before the previous owners adopted him supposidly owned him for 30 years but I do not believe that to be true. He was very frightened when he came to my house. Hissed when I came near him. But we are making progress. He steps up. Allows me for a few moments to preen his feathers, 20 seconds to caress after that he is done and that's all I get. But I love him and we all have our limitations. But whenever I became discouraged I tried to remind myself that I know all I will give him is kindness and acceptance and depending on his history he does not know that. Boy 47 years of nobody wanting you is a hard cross to bear. But kindness, love and understanding can overcome. Be well.

#260755 - 11/06/17 04:49 PM Re: Adopting a 47 year old SC2 [Re: critibug]  
critibug Offline
critibug  Offline

Edmond. Oklahoma USA
Hello, you don't find too many people that have birds as old as ours. After further investigation, we discovered that Archie is actually 45, born in 1970 in Australia. I do not see cataracts in his eyes but he seems to move much slower than cockatoos that we see in videos who are younger. There just isn't any information out there about geriatric cockatoos so we have to just assume that he is slower because of his age. Archie is such a joy to us and we sure do love him!! To us, he is our baby boy. He is very much oriented to males and therefore tolerates my husband handling him in any way. He tolerates me petting him but I do not try to have him step up to me because he is just so big. His favorite thing in the world to do is tear up phone books and sit on his "dad's" lap and be petted. He is so funny when he talks. Always a variety of good mornings and good nights at the appropriate time of day and always asking for "scratchy scratch". If he doesn't get petted pretty darn quick after asking for scratchy scratch, he says, "Archibald's a good boy!!" He hasn't plucked in the 4 months that we've had him and his feathers are growing in nicely. I'm so glad to hear your story and know someone else with a senior bird. And I bet yours will come to accept your love and kindness more and more! I hope he brings you much joy!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny