Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260723 - 10/12/17 03:32 PM Umbrella Cockatoo needs loving, experienced home  
Gregsbec Offline
Gregsbec  Offline

First of all I live near Charlotee, NC. Second of all, I'm not asking for money or any form of payment, I just want a nice and loving home for a cockatoo in need.

So I was left in the situation where a Cockatoo has found its way into my care. She belonged to my grandmother who is now deceased, and after my gramdma died she was being taken care of by my mother who had no idea what to do. And now I'm taking care of her as well. I've known the bird my whole life, her name is Cuddles and she's very nice and charming. She's never been aggressive and loves people. She's around 20 years old, only my grandma knew her exact age.

The problem is I just don't know how to take care of her and can't afford proper care for her. I want her to have a loving home where she can live the happiest life possible. I don't know how common it is but she's definitely a screamer. She has ear piercing screams whenever someone is in another room and talking. I assume this is just some thing every cockatoo owner deals with and is worth it.

I'm basically just looking for someone who I can trust to take care of her and make sure she stays happy. Right now her claws have grown out ridiculously long and I have no idea how to care for them without hurting her. My grandma was always the one who groomed her. I've looked up and read things but I'm just too scared of causing her serious harm with nail clipping. She is caged and it's a fairly big cage, If someone does want her I'm willing to give up the cage as well.

I'm not asking for money for her, but I do have conditions. I'll only feel comfortable sending her to a loving house that has experience with cockatoos. A house that will ensure me that no matter how loud she screams they won't mistreat her. And preferably a house that already has a cockatoo or more that is willing to take in another because I really just want her to be happy and have other birds to be with.

I'm not asking for money for the cage either. But I will be extremely picky with anyone who is interested because I will not risk sending her to a home where she is mistreated.

I have pictures if anyone wants them.

#260724 - 10/12/17 04:32 PM Re: Umbrella Cockatoo needs loving, experienced home [Re: Gregsbec]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I applaud your decision to do the right thing when over your head. That is honest but to be honest to you, we are not a broker for birds. This is your first post and we will allow your post to stay up and see about responses. If responses come from people who also have it as their first post, we will probably just delete it. After all, you are on Mytoos to find a real home not some joker, scammer who trolls the board looking for just this situation and would have the bird on Craigslist immediately. We do have guidelines that, when met, will allow us to set up communications with someone we feel is sincere and honest. The Moderators will know those conditions, I think it entails being a member for over a year with at least 100 posts.

Please though, call some vets in your area and try to find an avian (bird) vet or groomer that can help you get the nails trimmed. That can be a debilitating and dangerous condition for the bird. Try to get help with this and get it done. It shouldn't cost more than about $15.

Again, thank you for researching and trying to find an acceptable home with someone that understands cockatoos! We are here to help you with any problems that arise and you have no idea how to handle. Please stay in touch! Do some general reading in our forums as well, they are chock full of great information.

#260734 - 10/25/17 02:43 PM Re: Umbrella Cockatoo needs loving, experienced home [Re: Charlie]  
Gregsbec Offline
Gregsbec  Offline

Thanks for understanding and I'm sorry I wasn't completely read up on the rules. I'm pretty desperate and my number one priority, as you said, was just avoiding having her end up in a home off of craigslist as a novelty and the people get sick of her after a week and abuse her or worse. I'm moving in 15 days and as of right now she has to come with me but I don't know if its even possible to keep her secret in an apartment so if it comes to me having to give her up or be evicted then I'm really stuck with no choice. If it comes to that I will try to find a decent avian pet store that can take care of her.

#260735 - 10/25/17 07:56 PM Re: Umbrella Cockatoo needs loving, experienced home [Re: Gregsbec]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
You have a rescue not far from you called Parrot University, Companion Parrots Re-homed in Pineville. Try giving them a call, they just may be able to help you find a place for her. They are a nonprofit group that helps birds find new home when needed.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260738 - 10/28/17 12:59 AM Re: Umbrella Cockatoo needs loving, experienced home [Re: Gregsbec]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
If you can locate an avian vet close by, they may be able to point you in the direction of someone that can properly handle a cockatoo. It would be much better than putting her in a pet store where the whole fiasco can star again.

#260761 - 11/08/17 02:20 PM Re: Umbrella Cockatoo needs loving, experienced home [Re: Gregsbec]  
Tigerlilylvr Offline
Tigerlilylvr  Offline

Dr Burkett is a certified avian vet in Durham NC. He was recommended to me by my friend who has both parrots and fowl. Perhaps he can help you with rehoming your Too.

#260769 - 11/11/17 12:24 AM Re: Umbrella Cockatoo needs loving, experienced home [Re: Gregsbec]  
Gregsbec Offline
Gregsbec  Offline

Parrot University seems perfect! I'm going to give them a call.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny