Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260713 - 09/27/17 05:27 PM Georgia Peach is Here and we couldn't be happier!  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

So we are in our second week and things are going great. She is a very sweet girl, but I have also observed some behavior that I'm sure if I had tried to interact with her I would have received a bite!! I can tell when she starts throwing all the toys out of her foraging basket (attatched to her playstand) that she's in an agitated mood/overly stimulated. I have been moving very slowly and only recently tried moving her from her cage to her playstand. Lately I feel like she wants to sit with me, but not sure if that's moving too fast- it's only been a week and a half!!! She hasn't wanted any scritches, but will put her foot up asking to step up. Just a couple days ago I obliged and moved her to her playstand.

Edit: I realize that not everyone may have read my first post in the "adoption" sub, but after many years of waiting and research I adopted a 13 year old female M2 named "Peachy". Her family was very nice, but the usual story- too little time, too loud, too " 'too"!! They only had her for a year before giving her up. She laid 2 eggs with them, so I'm assuming they didn't know better re bonding etc... before that she was with a breeder but never produced? The family I adopted her from bought her at a bird fair. It's all so heartbreaking, but this baby girl has her forever home with us. Even if she has issues, screaming, biting etc... we are in this for life.

I will say that I now see why these birds do not belong in our living rooms frown I mean I always agreed with that, but I never really "got it" until I lived with one. Thankfully the noise doesn't bother our family as we tend to be loud ourselves with my husband being a DJ. My husband measured her decibels at 115 at her loudest and we know she could be MUCH louder if she wanted to!! Thankfully a busy too is a quiet too 😊 And I have been finding what she loves to chew and destroy most- then ordering in bulk! We are currently having a big double tree playstand made with foraging holes and I have been working on switching her meals to foraging opportunities, listening to "wings and things" podcast with Barbara and another awesome woman has helped me with lots of fun foraging ideas!

Georgia (Peachy) or she calls herself "Paco" went to our avian vet the day after she came to us and she is in excellent health, they did some blood work and I'm waiting to hear back... I am working on her diet, but thankfully she eats zupreme natural pellets. I'm working on introducing some good birdie mashes from Avian organics and lots of fresh fruits and veggies.

I think I covered everything! It's been a crazy week and a half, but we couldn't be more in love- and awe over this incredible creature...

Last edited by C. Doug; 09/27/17 05:34 PM.
#260714 - 09/27/17 07:43 PM Re: Georgia Peach is Here and we couldn't be happier! [Re: C. Doug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Everything sounds wonderful!!! One warning though, be careful ordering in bulk. What is loved today may be hated tomorrow but loved again next year. Variety is what you need to look for. If she enjoys shredding then look for all sorts of things that she can shred, phone books are awesome and cheap. If it's wood that she enjoys making into toothpicks go to the lumber yard and buy untreated 2x4 and cut it into manageable lengths for her.
Keep updating, love hearing of a bird finally finding that forever home.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny