Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260690 - 09/11/17 03:05 AM Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Hi there! I introduced myself in the "Adoption" sub, but quickly again... I am adopting a 10 year old Female Moluccan in a week and I am reading and researching a ton right now because even though I've been lurking on this site for the past 12 years... I still need more info! I keep reading the same things over and over... I know that nothing will really truly prepare me, but I wanted to know if there was any good reading highlighting Moluccan's natural behavior and interaction with each other in the wild... I think it's would be very helpful in reading her cues and behavior, also it will help me help her adjust!

Any other "must read" for Moluccan's or toos in general? I have read all the pinned posts!

#260691 - 09/11/17 03:33 AM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

I've read Behavior Compatibility a couple of times...

#260694 - 09/11/17 04:04 AM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Loving this article... http://parrotislandinc.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=58

warning... sexual content! But totally eye opening. I need to read it 10 more times!

Last edited by C. Doug; 09/11/17 04:11 AM.
#260695 - 09/11/17 04:17 AM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Also What do you guys think of Sally Blanchard?

#260697 - 09/11/17 10:42 AM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Sally has some very good information in her articles. When you want to add to a post you can click on the edit button bottom right corner of your post and add your thoughts. This is better than having multiple back to back postings. Have you read all of the articles in the introductory section of Mytoos that can be found here l Articles As far as good articles on wild behavior I'm not sure. When searching for information avoid breeder sites they paint everything wearing rose colored glasses. Try to look at scientific, educational or natural history sites for the best information. Sites like The World Parrot Trust and college sites. If you do a search on line try Google Scholar or similar search engine. The down side to these sites is you need to be very specific with your search ie. "moluccan natural diet in Indonesia"

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260698 - 09/11/17 06:20 PM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: BE2Cassie]  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Excellent! I am reading and re-reading Echo's Mom's post regarding Vocalizations... That's where I got the idea of a journal. When Looking for info I certainly can tell when I have found breeder sites as they say "Cockatoo's make wonderful loving pets and are the puppy dog's of the bird world" Yeah that's my cue to get the heck out of there!! LOL. Thank's for the advice about editing the post as to not keep bumping my own post with random comments... I apologize!

What about the Cock-a-tude and the Chloe Sanctuary for Parrots and Cockatoos? He has lots of videos and I was considering supporting his Pateron site! I think his name is Don Scott.

#260701 - 09/12/17 12:06 AM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
The Chloe Sanctuary has some very good videos. There are many rescues out there that all need assistance so by all means pick one to support.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260704 - 09/14/17 05:24 PM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Hi there just adding some articles that I found to be in line with my original question, After some thought I guess I wasn't really looking for wild moluccan behavior, but rather what are some typical body language and cues, how should I interact with my bird, etc... I found Don Allen from The Chloe Sanctuary and Shauna Roberts from the Gabriel Foundation have had some excellent advice on how to start out on the right foot. Keeping them active and giving them projects as Shauna says... Not cuddling too much, but lots of supervised out of cage time for foraging, solving puzzles, chewing, chewing chewing, exercise, and busy busy busy keeps a cockatoo happy... I was looking for wild moluccan behavior as a scientific basis for understanding my bird, they aren't human and so I need to discard my human googles! Here are some great links I found helpful in my never-ending quest for information and preparation for my soon to be adopted M2.

Cuddling Cockatoos:
http://www.thegabrielfoundation.org/documents/Cuddling_Cockatoos.pdf

The Caregivers Guide to Touching Birds
http://thegabrielfoundation.org/caregivers-guide-touching-birds/

Cockatoo Romance or Aggression
http://www.thegabrielfoundation.org/documents/CockatooRomanceorAggression.pdf

Cockatoos and Me
http://thegabrielfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/calendar-toos-Shauna-Robers-20140114.pdf

Those are just a few and all of the videos on https://www.patreon.com/chloesanctuary/posts
Which is a podcast called "Cockatude" that has excellent info from Don Scott!

#260705 - 09/14/17 08:17 PM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Check out Barbara Heidenreich and Lara Joseph both have web sites and face book pages. You'll learn a great deal from both of them. I was thinking about your comments more last night. Have you gone through the Cockatoo Forums here? There is more information than you will be able to read in the next year. These are post from people with cockatoos that are living with them on a daily basis. In some cases they couldn't continue, but you can see why things didn't work or what life changes caused the break up of family. A lot is spoken about body language in the post.
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=3
If you use the search tool above center right you can do specific searches like "reading body language" just put the topic you are looking for in quotations and cue the years. The site has been around for around 15 years or more. Good luck.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 09/15/17 12:12 PM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260706 - 09/15/17 01:24 PM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: BE2Cassie]  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Thank you Nancy, I truly appreciate your help smile I have been reading and lurking on this site for the past 12 years! I do use the search feature a lot, it really helps to read "real life" stories and learn what works and what doesn't! I'm counting down the days here (1 days 20 hours 58 minutes) until I leave to pick her up!!

I am just SO thankful for this forum... I learn something new each day! Currently looking through all the info on good ideas for toys and projects and foraging ideas to help enrich her life. Of course I expect nothing from her, I just want to try to get myself started on the right foot. I am learning SO much about how to touch our companion birds, how to keep from letting them bond to me, and I have been writing down all the questions I have (already I have a ton but I suspect those might change/morph once she comes home)!

Once she comes home I will make a formal intro post and I am SURE I will have tons of questions!! I just can't thank you folks enough for taking your own time and money to make this site possible.

I'm currently a ball of emotions, I'm nervous, excited, and I think I might be 100% out of my mind- and I am SCARED! I just want to do right by this girl, is my dedication enough????

I try to tell myself that I'm ready to roll with the punches, that I have been planning and researching, but I am scared that I won't be enough for her.... I am not doing this because I want a pet Cockatoo. I am doing this because I think I am one of the few people who can give this girl what she needs, but I still doubt myself. I am doing this because right now there are thousands of cockatoos who don't have a stable home, and who need help. I know that going forward I would like to help stop the pet trade and educate would be cockatoo owners about the plight of these poor creatures and how we are only making the problem worse when people buy baby cockatoos, support stores and shops who sell birds etc etc...

Last edited by C. Doug; 09/15/17 01:29 PM.
#260708 - 09/16/17 12:36 AM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
We all pretty much still doubt ourselves on a daily basis. Living with a cockatoo is a challenge to say the least. After 13 years I still ask questions. It's when you stop asking questions that you know you aren't a good home for a too. This is why this site is still going on after so many years. Can't wait to hear all about her.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260709 - 09/16/17 01:26 AM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Spot on Nancy!!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#260711 - 09/19/17 10:37 AM Re: Looking for Info on Wild Moluccan Behavior [Re: C. Doug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
So you're a week into living with a too, how's it going? Is she settling in?

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny