Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260683 - 09/08/17 01:52 PM Adopting a 10 yr old Female M2  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Hi there! So I have been lurking for the past 12 years and finally made myself an account!

I fell in love with a Moluccan in Hawaii in 2004. Peaches was living as an ornament for guests at a hotel on the Big Island. Each morning I would come and spend as much time as I could with this incredible creature, she began to look forward to our time together. I sought out her keeper and wanted to know how she was being cared for... I quickly realized her life must be miserable. She was forced to stand on a barren ring stand chained to it frown she had no toys or anything to play with and would be on the stand all day until her keeper would take her to her cage. It was incredibly heartbreaking! My parents and I complained to the hotel and called Hilton to report this terrible mistreatment. They said they'd look into it. I still wonder what happened to that sweet bird 😓 But that is the story of how these amazing animals stole my heart!

I quickly started researching everything I could! I started rescuing birds (much to the dismay of some of my roomates) in College and over the past 13 years... taking them out of terrible situations, rehabbing them, and finding them loving forever homes. I did this because I knew I didn't have the time or the knowledge of where I'd be or what I'd be doing in 5 years much less 20!! So this satisfied my need to love on birds, but not make a commitment that I couldn't keep. Throughout the years I've rescued a Jenday conure, African Grey, Goffins Cockatoo, a red Wing macaw (who was living in a tiny dog crate without perches), and a female Ekkie! All have there own terrible story and I would Drive/ and pay whatever was necessary to get them out of these terrible homes... but it was SO satisfying and rewarding to see their forever families eyes light up with love and excitement! Sometimes I'd cry for weeks after, but I knew I was not the one who could give them what they needed at the time...

Now that I am settled, with a family of my own, and a big house with lots of land... I am ready to commit for life ❤️ I started small and a couple years ago we brought home a baby Green Cheek (adopted) who is the center of our family and life! The people who owned him before lost interest after only 2 months and said he was too nippy 🙄) Around that time I started casually searching for my M2.

Finally two weeks ago, I came across Peachey, a 10 year old female Moluccan who is in excellent Heath (seen by a great AV) and who lives in a home that is a very similar family dynamic to our own! Her parents are unable to give her the attention she deserves and have decided to rehome her, for her sake. As much as they'd like to keep her, they aren't home enough. I decided to adopt instead of buying a baby for two reasons, first I always adopt vs shopping as so many birds need loving homes, and second I have read that's it's better to get an older 'too so that their behavior *MAY* be more predictable since often baby toos are sweet and cuddly as babies, then change after reaching sexual maturity. Note that I said *MAY* as I'm aware their behavior and wildness can happen/change at any time during their life!!

I am a stay at home mom/work at home designing on the computer for only a couple hours a day. My husband is also home a lot and is a DJ/MC so he works at nights often.

I am 100000% dedicated to this sweet girl. I want to be that 10% who can really give her what she needs. I have read EVERYTHING on this site multiple times over the past 12 years. And I am still nervous!! I just want to do right by her, and to give her an amazing life FOREVER. This is it. Her forever home and I have waited SO long for this!!

I have so much bird experience and it's still not enough, my mind is open 100% going into this. I know NOTHING until she's really here... and I know this will be a constant daily learning experience.

I'd love words of wisdom, advice, "I'd wish I'd known this" etc...

THANK YOU!

Last edited by C. Doug; 09/08/17 02:01 PM.
#260684 - 09/08/17 08:40 PM Re: Adopting a 10 yr old Female M2 [Re: C. Doug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Once she's with you, you will have a million questions needing answers. Write everyone of them down starting now. Be sure to get as much information from her current care takers as possible before she moves in with you. Diet, likes and dislikes, fears, toys she likes, bath time, lights at night on/off, cage covered?, how is she with men, women, children, dogs, cats, bugs, colors, textures, music, tv, lol seems like a long list but all so important to the life of a too. As an example of one of the seemingly off the wall in the list, bugs Cassie my girl is absolutely terrified of spiders. She will screech like there is a hawk eating her left foot until someone comes and gets the monster spider away from her. Oh and the spider could be 10 feet away on the ceiling. Any quirks the Peachey has is something important for you to know. Also make an appointment with a vet now, possibly on her way home with you. Get it over with right up front so you don't have to worry about how you will get her there down the road. If she's going to a good vet now if possible try keeping her there.
Congratulations and welcome to Mytoos. We all look forward to your bumpy and fun filled journey during the upcoming years.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260685 - 09/09/17 02:13 AM Re: Adopting a 10 yr old Female M2 [Re: BE2Cassie]  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Hi there! I have an appointment for her with our AV on Monday and she comes home on a Sunday! The list of things to ask about is fanstastic. Planning on keeping a log anyway so why not start with listing the questions as you suggested!! I want to log our communication (Vocals) as suggested in one of the articles I read on here! Thank you thank you. I'm humble... so humble. I am here to learn...

#260686 - 09/09/17 10:31 AM Re: Adopting a 10 yr old Female M2 [Re: C. Doug]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Awesome start! It's really going to be a joy to watch you grow with Peachey. Something to remember with a cockatoo is it takes them forever to accept new things in their environment so patience next week will be needed while she sees her totally new environment. Good luck and keep us updated.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260687 - 09/10/17 08:01 PM Re: Adopting a 10 yr old Female M2 [Re: C. Doug]  
C. Doug Offline
C. Doug  Offline

Thank you! I expect nothing from her... We will be putting her in the guest room as I want to quarantine her from my GCC, Until I get the clear from my AV which we have an appointment for the very next day! In one week I will start my drive to VA to pick her up. I am hoping the guest room will be a nice quiet place for her to adjust, when she is cleared I was thinking of putting her in the Great Room which is kind of away but still in the action. She can see the TV/Family Room which is where we spend most of our time and the Kitchen (another busy spot) I figured she will be able to observe and adjust. In her old home she was in front of a window, so I was planning on doing the same as her Cage will fit nicely in our bay window area... Thoughts? Also how long after she is cleared should we let her stay in the Guest room? Should she be moved to her permanent location as soon as possible or should we wait until she has some time to adjust away from the hub bub.? Like I said I expect nothing from her, I will wait till she is ready to come to me, I don't need to hold her right away or any of that nonsense! sorry... just being very honest, I have no idea why anyone would think that bringing home an "intelligent emotional sensitive like a 2 year old" creature and expect them to be their best friend!! That's just not how it works, She has been in the same home for 10 years!! Imagine taking a 10 year old child and just moving them to another family! It actually breaks my heart and I feel so bad that she's losing her loving family, everything she knows. It makes me cry. But she's coming to an equally loving (if not MUCH MORE loving home because this will be FOREVER. I know that she may hate me and never let me pick her up, and she may love my husband and be happy to be cuddled by him. That's ok. I just want her to have a forever stable loving home that meets her needs as much as possible because there is no way I can meet her needs 100 percent! She's a wild animal. She's supposed to be in the wild with her natural family. But of course that's not possible now, and she needs STABILITY.... anyway I'm rambling now lol... I just want to make sure I can make her transition as smooth as possible!

#260712 - 09/24/17 08:42 PM Re: Adopting a 10 yr old Female M2 [Re: C. Doug]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Just checking in to see how the first few weeks have gone?

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny