Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 41 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260652 - 08/03/17 09:45 PM Emaciated Lovebird  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
An emaciated Dutch blue pied lovebird was abandoned at the veterinary clinic a friend of mine works at a couple of days ago. We don't have any sort of background information, and this poor little bird (who we've decided to call Lucy) is in rough shape. She's so weak and underweight that she can barely stand, is currently incapable of perching or climbing, and has very few feathers on her back and no tail feathers. My tech friend is currently fostering her, but isn't able to keep Lucy long term. Despite all of that, Lucy is a real spitfire and clearly isn't ready to give up yet! She's eating well, and her stool is normal in appearance. Lucy is currently eating the poor quality seed mix that was left with her, but we'll be transitioning her to a mix of base diet of Harrison's High Potency Super Fine and nutriberries as soon as possible. Lucy hasn't been to an avian vet yet (my friend works with a dog/cat vet), but I'm arranging for her to get looked at sometime within the next week. I want to get her in sooner, but my AV is booked up and I'm unable to manage transport to bring her to the other AV four hours away as I don't drive. Assuming she comes back with a clean bill of health (beyond her obvious poor body condition), I'll be able to more seriously think about the logistics of taking Lucy in. If she's ill, I can probably arrange to have her isolated at the mixed practice I work at until whatever issues are resolved and she's safe to have in proximity to other birds. Due to my living situation I'm unable to isolate or quarantine birds at home - they're all in the same room and I don't have access to additional space. Worst case scenario, I'll start searching for a proper home for the little biddy... I can think of a couple coworkers and clients that might be interested. She's very feisty, and will definitely require someone with a lot of patience and at least a little bird knowledge.

I hope she pulls through... I'm routinely appalled by what people put animals through. mad

~Amanda

My flock: Monty (LSC2), Jeckyll (LSC2), Luca (GCC), Yuki (Budgie)
#260653 - 08/04/17 12:10 PM Re: Emaciated Lovebird [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Hope she pulls through. Those little lovies are a handful of spit and vinegar!

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny