Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 41 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260635 - 07/26/17 05:37 PM Updates  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
I haven't been around the forum much for the last year or so, so I thought I'd pop by and give a quick update! After a couple hiccups and yet another move, I'm happy to report that Monty and Lucas are going stronger than ever! Everyone's happier with the new place and job, and it definitely shows. I've been largely working evening shifts (after 5), which has me at home with the birds for the bulk of their waking hours. They definitely like the change! Her highness is even gracious enough to let me go back to sleep after her 6 am feeding, produced that I turn on her radio. She wakes me back up by 9/whenever she gets bored enough. In the case of overnight shifts, I can hit The "snooze" button by offering her additional activities, though I imagine I'll never get a full 8 hours!

Monty had been picking pretty extensively at her feathers for the last two months, particularly her lower abdomen, legs, back, and under her wings. These sites have never had many feathers to begin with in the five and a half years she's been with me and at first i didn't pay much attention to it, especially since she was in the middle of a moult anyway. But then she started getting really quiet and just wanted to sit on my lap. I brought her to the vet right away (only 3 months after her wellness exam and bloodwork!), and one skin slide later Monty was diagnosed with a yeast infection to her skin that the vet suspects has been there for awhile. We're about 3 weeks in to treatment with a topical spray, a better humidifier, and extra baths, and Monty's back to her usual self! Though looking especially scruffy. Patches of skin that have always been bare are starting to show signs of possible growth, so I wonder if she's had a yeast infection all along and it took a flare up for us to catch on? It must be such a relief not to be itchy anymore!

Beyond that, not too many changes for the birds beyond the unintentional adoption of a baby European starling that was brought to our clinic. The wildlife park won't take baby birds during the peak season, let alone starlings, and the poor bugger was slated for euthanasia. Long story short: rehab won't take starlings, a single baby is unreleasable due to the mechanics of imprinting, and they're legal to keep as pets in Canada. I didnt have the heart to kill an otherwise healthy baby (I wish people would stop bringing us babies - It's usually a death sentence!), so I raised Benjamin Button as a pet. He's a very happy, surprisingly affectionate bird!

Cheers,

~Amanda

P.s. touch screens are awful. Sorry about any typos or out of place words! Especially with Monty wanting to get in on the action.

#260636 - 07/27/17 10:16 AM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Amanda looks like things are going well for all. Would love to see a picture of Benjamin Button. They are supposed to be quite the talkers once they start. Do you have a picture that you can post a link to?

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260637 - 07/27/17 05:36 PM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
I don't have any current pictures on me right now and am on vacation with Monty at the cabin, but I'll try to get a more recent pictures when I get home! Benji's in the middle of his first moult, and he looks like a new bird every week. He's about 9 weeks old now, and was about 5 in this picture: http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums...3-4d71-9eaa-161fa337dc95_zpsld9x3hri.jpg He has full juvenile plumage in that picture, and has since grown out near half of his adult feathers.

Benji's a real riot to have around - definitely no regrets! The one sort of downside is his aversion to touch. He adores people and wants to be on and around them, but you're in for a solid peck and a telling off if you try to touch him anywhere other than his chest or feet and he can be a nightmare to get back in his cage! He's fully flighted and incredibly acrobatic - good luck catching him if he doesn't want to be caught! Thankfully he usually only gives me the run around for a few minutes, then he'll step up and allow me to put him back. He tends to be more compliant if I place a fresh bath, salad, or new toy in his cage first and make a big deal of it. I'm still figuring out what'll work as training treats, especially since he isn't very food motivated. He seems to prefer toys and verbal praise more than anything else at this point.

He'll definitely be a good talker - He's already mimicking Lucas' impressions of Monty, making conure noises, mimicking the birds outside (he does a pretty good robin!), and trying to say "good bird" and "pretty" amongst a lot of nonsense chatter! I'm really impressed with him, even if all the research I've done says that starlings learn most of their vocalizations in the first 3 months.

Sorry if I'm rambling - I've become very, very fond of this little bird and an advocate for starlings in general over the last two months. grin

My flock: Monty (LSC2), Jeckyll (LSC2), Luca (GCC), Yuki (Budgie)
#260638 - 07/27/17 09:55 PM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
He's very cute! I look forward to hearing more about his antics.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260657 - 08/16/17 04:17 AM Re: Updates [Re: AJMontyBird]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Glad to hear everything is going well for you and your flock. Benji is adorable, looks like he knows he is handsome.

#260658 - Yesterday at 09:11 PM Re: Updates [Re: bellesmom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Thanks for the great update. It's good to hear that you are settling into a new routine. Better late than never for Monty's yeast problem. You must be very happy about that and he surely is. Thanks for the picture of Benji. Sounds like a real clown. Hope things continue to go your way! :-)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny