Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 90 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260601 - 07/01/17 08:14 PM New owner need help  
Georgeyporgey17 Offline
Georgeyporgey17  Offline

Hello

I am just recently an owner of a soft crest cockatoo he is 8 months old and will take food nicely from us but he is still very scared. I have had him for 2 weeks now and was wondering how long will it be before he is not so scared and what I should be doing to help george

Thank you
Annette

#260603 - 07/01/17 11:22 PM Re: New owner need help [Re: Georgeyporgey17]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Hi Annette, welcome to Mytoos.

There is no magic number or time period for your bird to adjust to his new home. Lots of love and patience is the best thing you can do to help ease the transition. Let George set the pace and don't push him to do anything he's not ready to do. Sit by the cage a talk softly, read or sing to him. Place favored foods in his bowl. Trust must be built and earned. Depending on the bird it can be a short transition or a long one. Two weeks is still very early!!!! It may take many months before he's comfortable.

Be very watchful and when you notice something that particularly scares him do your best to remove or reduce the stimulus. Slow and easy wins!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#260612 - 07/05/17 09:54 AM Re: New owner need help [Re: EchosMom]  
Georgeyporgey17 Offline
Georgeyporgey17  Offline

Thank you for that. Should I have a mirror for George or won't he talk if he has one ?

Also are sunflower seeds good for them.

Last edited by Georgeyporgey17; 07/05/17 11:11 AM.
#260614 - 07/05/17 10:18 AM Re: New owner need help [Re: Georgeyporgey17]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Mirrors in some cases make birds uncomfortable while in others they enjoy it. Whether George decides to talk will come in time. Some birds are wonderful talkers while others don't. They will get their message across to you no matter. Welcome to Mytoos.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260615 - 07/05/17 12:14 PM Re: New owner need help [Re: Georgeyporgey17]  
Georgeyporgey17 Offline
Georgeyporgey17  Offline

Thank you. I'm so happy to be on here.

I was told not to give george to many sunflower seeds. Is this true

#260616 - 07/05/17 02:49 PM Re: New owner need help [Re: Georgeyporgey17]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Given as a treat in small quantities sunflower seeds shouldn't be a problem. Seeds contain a lot of fat which our perch potatoes don't burn off as most don't do much if any flying. Over time excess fats can cause fatty liver diseases. I give our M2 maybe a teaspoon full of unshelled sunflowers seeds a day. I figure she gets a little of what she likes and also gives her something to do getting to the edible part.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#260626 - 07/19/17 04:32 AM Re: New owner need help [Re: Georgeyporgey17]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Try to give him a good assortment of veggies and fruits, most likely he will just throw them at first but keep offering them and he will eventually let you know what he likes. mine love those sugar snap peas that are in the pod, they like corn on the cob, grapes and leafy greens which you can weave in and out of the bars making it something to play with too. use the search engine here and make sure whatever you give him is on the safe list.i cant remember who but someone here once said seeds are like McDonalds. have fun trying out new things to eat and mine like anything i'm having so act like you love it and wont share and that's what they want. Be sure to teach him how to play alone and offer plenty of toys to occupy his time, you don't want to have a bird that is always dependant on you and cannot be happy alone for a little while. also, create a "call" word so he will know your in the house even if he cant see you,it will help him to not scream when you are out of sight and feel safe. I use various examples of Hello, like the singing hello, they know i'm close and they like having fun doing the different forms of hello. Glad you found the site!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny