Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#246400 - 07/25/12 10:33 PM Mytoos rescue and sanctuary list  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
We try to keep a list of rescues and sanctuaries that are 501(c)3 qualified so that our members can do their part to help these birds. It is not easy maintaining the list, things change rapidly, many go under for one reason or another or simply do not maintain their sites. I have spent the last couple of days updating and purging our list.

If you are a 501(c)3 entity and would like to be included on this list, please post in this thread, introduce yourself and leave all your contact data so that we can include you. I also have to point out that being on this list is solely a Mytoos determination. I hate to even mention it but if your information causes much drama, it's out of here. It's great to be private!

I usually throw this list up around Christmas so that we can all choose a favorite charity and make a donation for the holidays. I just spend a good part of two days updating and verifying this information so I'm asking YOU to make a summer donation for your part. smile Yes, you can do it, you can afford $5 and possibly quite a bit more. Just do it! You will be surprised at the smile it will put on YOUR mug to know that you did this small thing. It is appreciated!

All members please review this list and let me know if I made any mistakes or you have anything to add. Our list also includes a link to the excellent Avian Protection Society.

Mytoos' Rescue and Sanctuary List

PS: If your mission statement includes anything about helping "responsible breeders" and "responsible avicultural sales", don't waste the keystrokes by posting on Mytoos!

Last edited by Charlie; 07/25/12 11:49 PM. Reason: update
#246671 - 08/01/12 03:24 PM Re: Mytoos rescue and sanctuary list [Re: Charlie]  
Mythree2s Offline
Mythree2s  Offline

Arlington, VA
Originally Posted By: Charlie
PS: If your mission statement includes anything about helping "responsible breeders" and "responsible avicultural sales", don't waste the keystrokes by posting on Mytoos!

Why do you continue to keep Phoenix Landing on this list?

Originally Posted By: Phoenix Landing home page
OBJECTIVES
Phoenix Landing seeks to improve the
quality of life for all parrots.

* Provide educational activities regarding the care and needs of parrots;
* Facilitate adoption for parrots who need a new family;
* Help parrots who outlive their guardians;
* Sponsor research of wild habitats and natural parrot behaviors;
* Support conservation and eco-tourism;
* Sponsor better avian education for vets and vet students; and
* Advocate standards of care for pet stores, breeders, and rescues.

The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything.
Theodore Roosevelt
#246674 - 08/01/12 07:43 PM Re: Mytoos rescue and sanctuary list [Re: Mythree2s]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Thanks, Peter! I knew this and blew right past it. I removed the Gabriel Foundation for the exact same reason, they are part of the ongoing problem. I'll take care of it now! cool

#260578 - 06/26/17 09:48 AM Re: Mytoos rescue and sanctuary list [Re: Charlie]  
PlumageRage Offline
PlumageRage  Offline

The following text is from the Home page (AKA "main.shtml") of the mytoos website:

"Start here and use the info I provide to help you weed out the bad breeders - pet stores - web sites - and the many other aspects of the cockatoo business. (You're going to need all the help you can get. ) So with that in mind....... "

Because it says "to help you weed out the bad breeders...", some people might think it implies that there are good breeders and pet stores out there, and that the mytoos site is a possible resource for finding them. I think this might account for why there are still some people that come on here expecting to discuss breeding/buying/selling birds despite the ultra-clear Agenda post, which states your position in no uncertain terms (and Thank You for that!).

I realize that text might be very old, but I just wanted to point it out in case you were unaware. I'm sorry if this has been covered before.

I've just been binge-reading everything in succession -- that's the only reason it stood out to me.

#260586 - 06/27/17 02:38 AM Re: Mytoos rescue and sanctuary list [Re: Charlie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
You're right it shows the changes over the years that the site has been up and running. Over the past 15+ years things have changed and hopefully so have we.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260590 - 06/27/17 05:16 AM Re: Mytoos rescue and sanctuary list [Re: Charlie]  
PlumageRage Offline
PlumageRage  Offline

Thank you for the clarification. It's encouraging that attitudes have evolved.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny