Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#260473 - 04/03/17 12:42 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
My bird gets so exited when he hears the noises of other cockatoos on a website. As he is 40 years old he probably was wild caught. I have a large house and garden and a very large macaw cage I bought from a friend. Do you think I should find another bird a cockatoo for a partner for him? I do not wish to breed birds so a female I think is out of the question but I hear males placed together fight. What do you think? The people who initially rescued him found him in a bsreeding facility which for whatever reason was unsuccessful. Lilly foundation has many rescued cockatoos many plucked some sulfur some moluccan that need homes. What do you think

#260474 - 04/03/17 10:54 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Questions for you. Do you have the space needed for two large birds and their belongings? Do you have enough room to keep them separated if they don't like each other? Do you have the financial stability to supply food, toys, veterinary cost? Do you have enough time that you can spend time with both birds separately if needed?

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260479 - 04/06/17 12:15 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Thank you for your reply. That is something to consider carefully. In answer to your question I do not think I wish to devote that much time that might be required. I know my limitations. I am not a bird rescue nor do I wish to be. If I embarked on this project and it did not work out I would have extreme difficulty relinquishing the second bird. Sometimes we need someone to bring us back to earth. Well Skippy and I are progressing he accepts my touch and likes a scritch and allows me to preen his sheathed feathers. I bought him a carrier from Pak-o-bird it's lovely to me anyway, but he is terrified of it but we will keep trying. This morning I took him outside in another cage I have and he watched with interest as I cut back the vines that right now are out of control in my garden. We were out there for approx 4 hours him in the shade and me sweating in the sunshine. When I turned on the water hose I was unaware it was open and as it squirted me and as it drenched me he laughed and stamped his foot on the perch as he was laughing. This is why we love birds

#260499 - 04/20/17 03:22 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Sorry I couldn't find the edit button. But what I wish to ask is that we are making progress or so I thought. Skippy was stepping up for me to take him outside for his morning shower in the front garden when my gardener and neighbour got into an argument. He witnessed this and went balistic he was screeming flapping his wings totally distressed I tried to take him in and had to pry his feet of the perch. Both him and I were very upset. My neighbourhood is quiet and nothing like this ever occurs. But I feel we have gone back to square one he will not allow me to take him into the garden and he has started going into the bottom of his cage and hissing like he did when I first got him. Still I will keep plodding on I feel this bird is so delicate I am not ever sure I can fulfill his needs.

#260502 - 04/20/17 12:17 PM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
For now let him decide when it's safe to come out of the cage. It wont hurt him to avoid the garden area for a time. It could be that one of the people arguing reminded him of someone in his past that wasn't very nice to him. Let him set the pace. Maybe there is another area of the yard that he could visit.
As far as the edit button I'm sorry I should have been clear it can be used for only a short time after the original post. It's to be used when you decide to add or change your post.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260505 - 04/24/17 03:15 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Try to maintain a positive attitude. Birds pick up on emotions, so if you are planning for the worst, he'll know something is going on and may live down to your expectations. Keep working on learning his behavior and understanding what he's trying to communicate and you will develop a great relationship. You've got this, but try not to be too negative or worried about things. They should absolutely not be pets - we all do the best we can, but even the best private home is nowhere what he'd have in the wild. It's up to us to try to provide the best captive lives we can, and it sounds like you're well on your way. Keep it up!!!

#260506 - 04/24/17 03:59 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Adding another cockatoo right now may cause more stress for Skippy, he has been through a lot, losing his family and getting used to another home, let him get comfortable and settled before you add another flock member. I think you are doing fine, let him watch you go outside and do your gardening without incident and he will see all is ok and I think he will let you know when he is ready to go back out. I like giving my birds choices, sometimes they want to go in another room or out to the patio and sometimes not, I never force them unless its absolutely necessary. He is still getting used to you and his new home, it takes awhile. Cockatoos and parrots in general love routines, mine look at me like I have lost my mind if I change things up too much.

#260516 - 05/06/17 02:02 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Hi everyone, something interesting is going on. Skippy at times when I am present he starts rubbing his beak on the side of the bars of his cage which is next to his stand. He is out of his cage all day as I am now retired. that repetative drumming it bothers me. I have tried telling him no and sometimes I get exasperated and retreat to my office. When I leave the room he stops. I have tried this a couple of times. Allways the same response. When he is alone and I have left the room it goes silent. Some days he still seems frightened of me. Otherise he will eagerly step up and go into the garden. I am begining to think this bird might be more intelligent than I.

#260517 - 05/06/17 03:01 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Hi guys from my last post. But when I am gone too long he calls I would like to think he calls to me. I never knew what his journey was in 40 years. But when I join him again he appears calm. And he enjoys the treats I give him. I read a wonderful editorial from the New York Times. I do not know how to post it, it was about veterans with PTSD. I am sure you can find it. It is called What does a parrot know about PTSD

#260518 - 05/06/17 03:06 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Hi guys from my last post. But when I am gone too long he calls I would like to think he calls to me. I never knew what his journey was in 40 years. But when I join him again he appears calm. And he enjoys the treats I give him. I read a wonderful editorial from the New York Times. I do not know how to post it, it was about veterans with PTSD. I am sure you can find it. It is called What does a parrot know about PTSD

#260519 - 05/06/17 03:06 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.

#260520 - 05/06/17 03:13 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
I figured how to post a link. This really touched my heart both for us humans who are as fragile as the birds we keep.

#260521 - 05/06/17 03:40 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
I spent my summer vacations while I was completing my BS at London University teaching children in detention facilities english composition and lit. The same thing I see in birds were the same things I saw in abandoned children . At that time we knew nothing about PTSD. But I saw all the same things. My kids were throw away things. Passed through foster care after foster care. They had no ability to trust or even to learn. Many ran away getting a ride with whatever truck driver need their love. I gave them poetry most of it silly stuff. All those throw away things make me better to understand this bird.

#260522 - 05/06/17 12:37 PM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Thank you for sharing this article. It's well worth the time to read.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#260529 - 05/10/17 10:27 PM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thanks for sharing!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#260562 - 06/05/17 02:14 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: EchosMom]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Thank you I thought about that and wondered if it was a good idea.

Sorry if this post is out of context. I was trying to reply to an earlier post.
Anyway in an attempt to not appear totally crazy; skipper and I are making progress. But boy I am realizing it tales a long time. But I do think this trust thing is going both ways. At first I was hesitant with everything I did for him I am sure he sensed this and reacted accordingly. Now he steppes up and as he has some weakness in his feet I am learning how to grasp them and it makes a difference. He loves his warm birdy mix the recipe I found on this site and when we were in the garden the other day he was trying to eat the lawn grass. I have purchased him fresh wheat grass from our local market but he hasn't eaten it yet. I am going for my interview at the [b][/b]bird sanctuary next week. I have learnt so much from the wonderful people on this site I will be sure to mention my toos when we participate in outreach. Thank to you all.

#260631 - 07/21/17 11:08 PM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
Skippytoo Offline
Skippytoo  Offline

Ca. Orange co.
Hi everyone been a while since I posted but Skippy and I are making good progress. But I have a question can my bird catch bird mites from the wild birds that come to my garden if he is not in contact with them? Thanks

#260632 - 07/22/17 12:38 AM Re: Adopting an older M2 [Re: Skippytoo]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Mites are for the most part species specific. Skippy can get mites on him but more than likely they will jump off at the first opportunity. Don't use the mite boxes that attach to the cage. If Skippy shows signs that he may have mites take him in to be checked by the vet before you try to treat him. Most of those remedies that can be bought at the pet stores are very dangerous for the birds and can cause more harm than good.
When I was working at the vet clinic we had a lot of chickens come in that had mites. I got them on me a few times to my utter horror but Cassie was never bothered by them. She came to work with me three days a week.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 07/22/17 12:40 AM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny