Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260374 - 02/13/17 06:11 AM Greetings caged bird keepers of planet earth  
WindyCityParrot Offline
WindyCityParrot  Offline

My name is mitchr. I am an avian influencer. Full transparency - my day gig is selling products just for pet birds - I spend approximately 20% of my work week scanning about 20 Facebook bird groups and niche (species specific) forums like this. The content I write has one purpose which is to make you a better caged bird keeper.

I think serving dishes filled with any sort of commercial bird food without offering foraging and enrichment opportunities 24/7 in and out of the cage is the single biggest problem with getting our birds to eat properly.

I think attempting to keep a caged bird on a 100% diet of human food called chop will lead to malnutrition.

I think when I see the words "he was on the bottom of the cage trying to build his nest" you should buy a DNA testing kit.

There is no solving a single problem with a caged bird. It will always need to looked at holistically Cage environment, home environment, non-caregiving humans, diet, sex, age and artificial light cycles must be taken into account when treating a caged bird’s behavior.

When people write to me with the following words "been told by both (avian vets) that once Greys or Cocatoos start this phobic behavior it's impossible to stop".

I ask rhetorically aloud "why can't I find a picture of a black cockatoo that's plucked it's feathers? (my wife is used these micro outbursts)

I believe that veterinarians should not use Lupron in a misguided attempt to shut down the brooding cycle of a parrot. I believe Lupron will cut your bird's life in half and make it’s aging painful

I can tell you with certainty about .30 spent on electricity by exposing a bird to 72 hours of constant light is more effective than $500 of Lupron at shutting down a hen’s egg production yet with zero harmful side effects.

The problem is not with the bird it's with the humans, who most often, lack a plan.

Oh, almost forgot - We have a 7 YO female Senegal named Peaches and 4 budgies - Bacon, Eggs, Toast and Jam, which is why we call them the "breakfast club" - they are all rescues.

so enough about me - pleasure to have met all of you

Mitch Rezman
CMO/SEO at Windy City Parrot where the sun never sets empire
#260379 - 02/14/17 06:04 AM Re: Greetings caged bird keepers of planet earth [Re: WindyCityParrot]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Welcome to Mytoos!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#260380 - 02/14/17 02:13 PM Re: Greetings caged bird keepers of planet earth [Re: WindyCityParrot]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome Mitch and flock to Mytoos.

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny